• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold’s Upside

HardcoreHokie

34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ryan Tannehill threw for 3800 yards and 33 TDs vs. 7 INTs last year. I don't think that's any developing QB's "floor".

3,800 yards is 237 yards per game.  Darnold already has 301, 304, 305, 297.  And 10 touchdowns through four games.  

And those are just stats, I’m talking about film.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ryan Tannehill threw for 3800 yards and 33 TDs vs. 7 INTs last year. I don't think that's any developing QB's "floor".

Sam Darnold projected stats look very weird. Right now it is at 4700 20TDs and 12 INTs. 
Don’t think I have ever seen that before if it comes to fruition. Usually a 4000+ yard QB throws for 30+ TDs. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Sam Darnold projected stats look very weird. Right now it is at 4700 20TDs and 12 INTs. 
Don’t think I have ever seen that before if it comes to fruition. Usually a 4000+ yard QB throws for 30+ TDs. 

He’s leading the league in rushing touchdowns.  Not QB’s, ALL players (Zeke, Henry, CMC, all players.  At quarterback.) 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

46 minutes ago, frankw said:

The question for Sam is can he elevate those around him? So far this season as a passer Ryan Tannehill is 26th in completion % 21st in ypa 17th in passing yards and 19th in qbr. By comparison Darnold is 14th 10th 7th and 6th with a mess of an oline. Where both quarterbacks tumble down the list is passing touchdowns with both sitting at 18th. If Sam and Joe can get this deep passing game going who knows what his ceiling is but that has to happen to take the next step.

If Darnold's rushing TDs are included I think he is right up around 5th or 6th in total TDs by a QB, too (also doing the same for other QBs, obviously).

• Pie 1

Sam isn’t perfect but there is only one part of Darnold’s game that consistently holds him back, his deep ball placement. Or maybe it’s like 15/20+ yard passes. He has missed quite a few.

Part of that is due to the oline of course but Sam has to get better at that.

I’d add reading the field/decision making as well but I think that’ll get better with time and again, an oline. I think Sam does so bad when he has time because it’s unexpected. When he can see pressure and where it’s coming from he does better.

This is a lopsided mentality but understandable after 3+ years of playing behind of of the worst in the league. Which will seem to continue.

I think all this can get better but his long ball concerns me most. Time will tell.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

15 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

you're ignoring the 20 (lol) projected rushing TDs.  which, I don't think he will get.  I think he'll probably end up in the mid 30s total, with more passing TDs as the year goes on (esp now with CMC back).

26 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Yards are easy, the TD/Int ratio is pretty impressive.  Thats Good QB play right there. 

TD/INT ratio is honestly pretty deceiving...  Last year tho Tannehill threw an INT on only 1.5% of his passes... which put him in the company of Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson... That said... Tannehill this year has thrown an INT on 2% of his throws.  Sam has thrown one on 2.1%.  

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Sam isn’t perfect but there is only one part of Darnold’s game that consistently holds him back, his deep ball placement. Or maybe it’s like 15/20+ yard passes. He has missed quite a few.

Part of that is due to the oline of course but Sam has to get better at that.

I’d add reading the field/decision making as well but I think that’ll get better with time and again, an oline. I think Sam does so bad when he has time because it’s unexpected. When he can see pressure and where it’s coming from he does better.

This is a lopsided mentality but understandable after 3+ years of playing behind of the worst in the league.

I think all this can get better but his long ball concerns me most. Time will tell.

I agree with this. I think deep ball is a mix of rushing throws because he doesnt trust the O Line and not yet having the chemistry he needs to know where the guys will be.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

I agree with this. I think deep ball is a mix of rushing throws because he doesnt trust the O Line and not yet having the chemistry he needs to know where the guys will be.  

I wonder if there is some paranoia thrown in there too.  I don't know if his ball placement deep is just terribad or he's scared to thrown it any closer.  We've had a number of times this year where the receiver had a step or half a step on the defender but the ball was a few yards out of reach.  Too scared to come up a yard short and it be a pick?

We have people crying in here because I've pointed out that suggesting that any developing QB's floor is a guy coming off a 3800 yard, 33 TD, 7 INT season is absurd. That's not a knock on Sam Darnold in anyway shape or form. It's a knock on certain posters' having room temperature IQs for not realizing how absurd of a comparison that is. I'm not knocking Sam. I'm knocking y'all. And laughing at y'all.

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Beer 2
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 1