• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold’s Upside

HardcoreHokie

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I'm sorry, but there is never a good reason to Intercept a 4th down pass. You get the ball at the line of scrimmage. It is never a good idea to put your team 10, 20 or more yards past the LOS.

You cannot guarantee a Pick 6. Just knock the pass down, and get off the field. I learned that in the backyard at what, 10 years old. When a teenager comes up and knocks you on your azz for it. You learn to not do it.

For the most part I agree.  4th down ints downfield aren't smart.  

Though I can think of a few reasons I might.

As a pro, I want to pad my stats, if it doesn't hurt the team much.  Ints=$

When I'm sitting on a down and out, there is no one between me and the goalpost, I'm taking it.

Its the end of the game and we're kneeing it out anyway.  Who cares where the ball is, we give one more punch in the gut.

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

For the most part I agree.  4th down ints downfield aren't smart.  

Though I can think of a few reasons I might.

As a pro, I want to pad my stats, if it doesn't hurt the team much.  Ints=$

When I'm sitting on a down and out, there is no one between me and the goalpost, I'm taking it.

Its the end of the game and we're kneeing it out anyway.  Who cares where the ball is, we give one more punch in the gut.

Ok then, other than for purely selfish stat padding reasons. There is no earthly reason what so ever, to intercept a 4th down pass. lol

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

We'll see.  Lets revisit this at the end of the season.

That doesn’t change what his “floor” is. You get that right? That’s worst case scenario. We have already seen him at his worst on NYJ. That’s his floor. He is clearly better than that, but that’s still his floor aka the worst he can be. This isn’t an insult to him. We have seen his worst and he us much better with Carolina. 

35 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That doesn’t change what his “floor” is. You get that right? That’s worst case scenario. We have already seen him at his worst on NYJ. That’s his floor. He is clearly better than that, but that’s still his floor aka the worst he can be. This isn’t an insult to him. We have seen his worst and he us much better with Carolina. 

Yes. And my point was that you can't  say Tannehills floor  was last year. 
You do understand that right?  That Tannehill's floor wasn't last year, you know, because he had worse....MUCH worse years.  So because he had worse years, than last year, last year can't be his floor.  Because if other years are lower, then they would be his floor.  Understand?   

You see , when comparing qb to qb, you don't compare floor to peak. You compare body of work to body of work in comparable circumstances as best you can.  

Linvilles point was that Tannehill had 3800 yards last year.  Lets see what Sam does this year.  Understand?  So we can see if Sam can reach 3800.  Comparing the 3800 last year, to Sams yards with the jets is not nonsensical comparison.  Understand?  Because Sam had never had as good environment as Tannehill had.  If you like, I can explain it further for you.

• Flames 1

Maybe his floor is NYJ Sam, maybe (likely) his floor is worse.  Maybe his ceiling is current Panthers Sam.  Maybe (likely) it's better.  I don't think we'll ever really *see* either.  Personally I think that 4 games is short enough a time that the "needle", as we call it, is still pointing up on his career since arriving in Carolina however (can't really call it a plateau when we're not even a quarter of the way through his first season with a new team and he's flippin' 24).  I *expect* (or hope, if we want to reign in those expectations!) we're going to be more than pleased with his tenure here by the time it ends.  

What I still fail to understand, though, is why it's so necessary for one group of fans / posters to drag their optimism back down to a level approved by another group lest those people relentlessly try to force the issue (and honestly I'm not sure I care to understand that mindset - "well actually" must be an exhausting way to exist).  Who actually gives a poo if someone thinks his floor is Tannehill-ish? Some of you guys are like heat seeking missiles for any unapproved positivity (is there a Wiki for how we should feel about any given player?).  I get the goal; we gotta make sure everyone is on the exact same page so we can have a nice group-think and tell each other what we (now) want to hear. But....why?

Good lord.  Come up for air occasionally.  

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, mwright350 said:

Some of you guys are like heat seeking missiles for any unapproved positivity (is there a Wiki for how we should feel about any given player?).  I get the goal; we gotta make sure everyone is on the exact same page so we can have a nice group-think and tell each other what we (now) want to hear. But....why?

Good lord.  Come up for air occasionally.  

Yup.  Good post.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, SBBlue said:

This isn't a restaurant frankw.  Come back to the real world here with us.

I'm here. Just finished watching the Fury Wilder fight. Ready for gameday. There's a concept that might be foreign to some. You can support the quarterback and want him to get better and be the guy for the future without trying to baby him and jump on ppl that might have a simple critique of things that can be worked on. I hope the offense balls out tomorrow. Let's get it.

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

Yes. And my point was that you can't  say Tannehills floor  was last year. 
You do understand that right?  That Tannehill's floor wasn't last year, you know, because he had worse....MUCH worse years.  So because he had worse years, than last year, last year can't be his floor.  Because if other years are lower, then they would be his floor.  Understand?   

You see , when comparing qb to qb, you don't compare floor to peak. You compare body of work to body of work in comparable circumstances as best you can.  

Linvilles point was that Tannehill had 3800 yards last year.  Lets see what Sam does this year.  Understand?  So we can see if Sam can reach 3800.  Comparing the 3800 last year, to Sams yards with the jets is not nonsensical comparison.  Understand?  Because Sam had never had as good environment as Tannehill had.  If you like, I can explain it further for you.

Both of Tannehill’s seasons with the Titans have been good with last year being great. Tannehill’s floor wasn’t last year, his floor was with the Dolphins.   However, he has proven he can play the position at a high level in the right scheme. You can’t say Darnold’s floor is Tannehill because Tannehill has two years of playing great in a good system and Darnold has zero so far. So let’s see what a player does before we estimate what his floor is (kind of takes the point out of it)? Once again Darnold has played for 3 years in this league and that was his floor (I hope). We are now bumping his floor to a player that just had a great season based on what? Yes we have to wait and see what he does this season, but that doesn’t show what his floor is? One could argue that’s his ceiling if he plays well? I could say his ceiling is Tannehill, plays bad in a bad system, but can potentially be great in the right one. His floor is the WORST case scenario which was the Jets. It just seems odd and based on nothing to say his floor is a QB capable of playing great and his ceiling is a league MVP. If our staff thought they were getting a Tannehill at worst with a potential of Rodgers they would have locked him down for the next 5 years. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

How can a player be “babied” who refuses to make excuses for himself, and takes all the blame, never his teammates or coaches?  Even in that NY hellhole?

Don’t make him sound soft and coddled, when he’s anything but.   

I don't get the coddled narrative... In the regular season he isn't being coddled at all.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, 1usctrojan said:

How can a player be “babied” who refuses to make excuses for himself, and takes all the blame, never his teammates or coaches?  Even in that NY hellhole?

Don’t make him sound soft and coddled, when he’s anything but.   

56 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't get the coddled narrative... In the regular season he isn't being coddled at all.

What I really don't get is how Sam would feel coddled by a bunch of people ON THE INTERNET THAT HE'S NEVER MET BEFORE (nor Never will) while the people who are capable of coddling him legit are his Head Coach, QB Coach, and OC. 

It's like there's this belief that if we talk nothing but Positivity on Sam here, he will FEEL our "Coddle-ness" from the internet to Real-Life or something. 😂

• Pie 3

3 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

What I really don't get is how Sam would feel coddled by a bunch of people ON THE INTERNET THAT HE'S NEVER MET BEFORE (nor Never will) while the people who are capable of coddling him legit are his Head Coach, QB Coach, and OC. 

It's like there's this belief that if we talk nothing but Positivity on Sam here, he will FEEL our "Coddle-ness" from the internet to Real-Life or something. 😂

The only social media account he has is Instagram, not a guy who spends time with his phone in his face…..think he cares what members of a message board say?  CMC said, he’s a regular guy, hangs out with teammates, and he made it a point to say that he treats them all with respect, does not place himself above them as the QB….wonder why he said that?

Sam has his circle of friends he’s had since grade school, he keeps them close, broke up with his college girlfriend before the draft because he didn’t want distractions.  How many guys do that?  Like all his teammates say,  former and present, he’s all about ball.

If you can come out of NY, with your confidence in tact, no sulking or saying stupid things, remain very coachable….you don’t have to be coddled, you’re a man.  

Edited by 1usctrojan