• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold trade looking better and better

Tr3ach

First off I would say would say the trade is potentially paying off on the field as has been discussed ad nauseam, especially if he continues to develop and get comfortable in the system.  Also now the point I'm getting at is this upcoming draft is starting to look especially poor with disappointing performances and injuries this college season.  If the team wasn't sold on any of the qbs in the draft last season then this seasons has even more question Mark's and disappointment.    With the up and down play of Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler I'm really glad that we have our 24 year old potential starter for the future on our roster and we got him for basically a hopefully late 2nd rounder.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 5

Yup, I mentioned this yesterday with the crop of QBs going into the 2022 class.  I thought it was marginal to begin with, but the "top" guys are looking like they are regressing or at least not living up to their hype.  If the team didn't tank for Trevor, they sure as heck are not going to go after one of these dudes.  It's a moot point anyway as Fitts has pushed all his chips to center table for this season with these trades.  It's playoffs or bust.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Yup, I mentioned this yesterday with the crop of QBs going into the 2022 class.  I thought it was marginal to begin with, but the "top" guys are looking like they are regressing or at least not living up to their hype.  If the team didn't tank for Trevor, they sure as heck are not going to go after one of these dudes.  It's a moot point anyway as Fitts has pushed all his chips to center table for this season with these trades.  It's playoffs or bust.

We've traded a 3rd round pick (receiving a 5th round pick in return) and a future 6th round pick.

I don't know what game of poker you're playing, but we're absolutely not all-in on a doomsday Playoffs or bust scenario.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

Just now, OldhamA said:

We've traded a 3rd round pick (receiving a 5th round pick in return) and a future 6th round pick.

I don't know what game of poker you're playing, but we're absolutely not all-in on a doomsday Playoffs or bust scenario.

Yea I think it seems like we have given up more than we have because of the potential return we have gotten.   They are definitely trying to win now but they are also setting up to try to win later as well.  They are just making smart aggressive low risk potentially high reward moves that may help now and can definitely potentially help in the future.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The team even has hinted at this.  Regarding Horn, they expect him back by the playoffs.  I don't think it's lip service or blissful optimism, they honestly believe they will be in the playoffs and Fitts is trying his best to get the pieces in place to make it happen.   Yes, it's about building for the future, but the future is now and not treading water until 2022.  This is not 2020 team that was just trying to be competitive.  They knew they were in rebuild mode.  I guarantee you if you asked any player or coach if this team is still in rebuild mode they would look at you like you are crazy.

8 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

People wanted to take a QB last year. This year's draft class shouldn't really weigh on last year's decisions. 

Of the big 5 qb prospects last draft, 3 of them were gone before our pick.   That leaves two.  If we had taken Jones then 95% of the people on this board (including the ones who wanted to take a qb) would have had a complete meltdown.   That leaves one, the elephant in the room.  No matter how you feel about Fields, the coaches and scouts obviously questioned some things because he was there for the taking and they didnt take him.  Was this overall questions or scheme questions, who knows?  We never will most likely.   Regardless, the fact we didnt draft one of those 2 qbs that were there and signed Darnold's 5th year option the next day tells you how they felt about those qbs, Darnold, and I'm sure they looked at upcoming qbs as well.  I'm pretty sure Rhule and Fitt scout and plan ahead as much as possible.