• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking from Sheena Quick: We passed on Justin Fields and began the trade for Darnold post Ohio St pro day

Verge

8 hours ago, HotelSoapy! said:

I still do not want to give up two firsts for a 30 something year old QB. Would rather draft a QB on a rookie deal if we move on from Darnold after the season. 

Two things:  1.  Looking over the college landscape what qb do you see out there better than Darnold and do you think said qb is going to make it until the teens where we will be drafting?

2. Say the qb does drop to us he will go into the same situation we are in now with a crappy oline.

Not really moved by it, as we got a future lockdown corner and the cheapest option at an improvement at the position at the time for what was available to us.  And as a guy that had Horn and Fields on my personal board during the draft, having watched Fields so far, I don't think we missed out in a franchise QB now.  He looks very iffy.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That narrative has been disproven more than once already.

We didn't want Fields.

I said it during the draft process that it was pretty obvious that we didnt think highly of Fields, Lance or Jones.  I suspect Fields couldnt process defenses fast enough, Lance is too green and Jones has major limitations. 

11 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I don’t know. Theses last two QBs seem to be 100 percent Rhule. Tepper seems to really want a franchise QB but he keeps defaulting to Rhules decisions. 
Rhule seems to not see much value in a franchise QB and maybe that is because he is a college coach. 

I think Rhule sees the value in a franchise QB, he just thinks he can takes shortcuts to find one.

Most franchise QBs follow a similar path, you draft then early and you develop them. 

TB didn’t work out, we will see with Sam.

So why the fug did we pass on Slater? I get Fields being passed on but Slater was a day 1 LT and now we got our RT playing LT. We could have added Slater and an OG in the 3rd. That's the move I want to hear about. 

Thinking Darnold is more than a place holder if protected is concerning. The film is there and he was a completely known quantity in the NFL. It's almost like we have crap taste in QBs...delusions of raising low ceilings is my guess at this point. 

• Poo 1

13 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Something else to keep in mind when it comes to Rodgers and Wilson.  They both are looking to have input into decisions that are usually made by Head Coaches and GMs.

I wonder if Rhule and Fitterer are open to that arrangement?

I think Rhule has too big of an ego. He wants to be the alpha on the team.

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, Sione Fua said:

I think Rhule has too big of an ego. He wants to be the alpha on the team.

Honestly, I don't see either Wilson or Rodgers wanting to come to Carolina.  QBs who control their own destiny don't willingly play behind a feeble O line.

However, even if Rhule agreed to allow a QB like Rodgers or Wilson to give their input on management decisions, I doubt he'd ever give them veto power.  After listening to comments attributed to both these QBs during the off season, these guys won't be happy with just having input.  They are looking for actual control of plays, schemes, players and coaches. 

There may be teams desperate enough to agree to such conditions, but I doubt Carolina is ready to make that deal with the devil. 

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Honestly, I don't see either Wilson or Rodgers wanting to come to Carolina.  QBs who control their own destiny don't willingly play behind a feeble O line.

However, even if Rhule agreed to allow a QB like Rodgers or Wilson to give their input on management decisions, I doubt he'd ever give them veto power.  After listening to comments attributed to both these QBs during the off season, these guys won't be happy with just having input.  They are looking for actual control of plays, schemes, players and coaches. 

There may be teams desperate enough to agree to such conditions, but I doubt Carolina is ready to make that deal with the devil. 

Wilson wants input on the draft.

There is no way in hell I'd give any quarterback that kind of influence.

• Beer 2