• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

• panthers-redskins-1.jpg

Next Gen Stats - How bad it really was

Zod

12 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Believe it or not, statistically this year is worse by about 3 spots (that 2014 oline was ranked 22 this one 25).

Of course that was before this latest game…

You’re looking at competition for the worst in the NFL…and worst in Panthers Franchise history. 

Eye test tells me that line was worse.  

Let's not forget the Thursday Night Massacre in Philadelphia in 2014.  There has never, ever been a single game performance by the OL worse than that one, at least in Panthers history.  I still can't believe that team rallied and made the playoffs.

Newton before the last two garbage time drives had 0 TDs, 3 INTs, probably around 180-200 yards, and had been sacked 9 times.  And probably hit on every single snap.  A running game with Stew and Williams could barely do anything.  

The OL has been horrible, but hasn't had a "signature" game like that yet.  But if any unit could do it, its them. 

• Beer 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Continuously changing lineups hasn't helped.

That said, changes are still warranted. If nothing else, Dennis Daley badly needs to be benched.

Both Miller and Daley need to be benched. We played roulette with the oline last year as well. Honestly, everyhting about yesterday's game was identical to our Vikings game last year. 

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Mage said:

There has never, ever been a single game performance by the OL worse than that one, at least in Panthers history. 

Actually, the Minnesota game in 2016 is close.  Cam got sacked 8 times in that one.  And of course the Super Bowl.  Still, I don't think either of those were as bad as that night in Philly. 

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

The OL wasn't the only problem yesterday. 

Eagles DBs calling out WRs running the same routes out of the same formations after the game. 

Darnold missing open throws with plenty of time to throw. 

Darnold forcing the ball to receivers when he has open receivers elsewhere he didn't even look at.

Blame is definitely on the OL but there's plenty more of it to go around. 

The offensive performance yesterday was abysmal.

This is one that is inexcusable to me.

Whatever happened to "Take what the Defense gives you", Sam?  

I'd love to know why some teams in this league feel they can "get by" with an average OL. Has their been multiple Super Bowl winners in recent memory who did it? If so, ok ... that's their proof. I honestly don't know. But damn, when you look at teams that are good year after year, it seems to me that their QB is not running for his life. I'm sure some stat geek can figure that out. I've been saying since the days of Jake that OL is one of, if not the most, important aspects of an elite team.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've said multiple times that I think this year's veteran signings were meant to be stopgaps while we tried to build the line through the draft.

Unfortunately, it looks like some may not even be "stopgap" quality.

Don't know if we'll look at free agents on the line next year, but if we do we'll have Dan Morgan in the fold to help. His background is in pro personnel. Fitterer is a draft guy.

Well, the stop gaps aren’t playing so that doesn’t even matter, but I really hope the IOL this weekend is performing way below their expectations otherwise that would be a horrific miss by Rhule and Fitt.

34 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'd love to know why some teams in this league feel they can "get by" with an average OL. Has their been multiple Super Bowl winners in recent memory who did it? If so, ok ... that's their proof. I honestly don't know. But damn, when you look at teams that are good year after year, it seems to me that their QB is not running for his life. I'm sure some stat geek can figure that out. I've been saying since the days of Jake that OL is one of, if not the most, important aspects of an elite team.

There are no perfect answers, but yes you can’t normally get by with a meh OL or the trash we have. Our OL is a significant problem for even making the playoffs let alone winning a SB. 

9 hours ago, L-TownCat said:

Drafting need will only make the problems worse.  Hurney drafted for need after the 1st round.  That worked out so well.

I understand the theory of drafting best overall player, and overall I mostly agree with it

BUT

if followed with no accounting for the ease vs difficulty of filling different positions AND other factors like, oh I don't know, protecting your first year QB that you're essentially trying out to see if he's as bad as his 3 years with the Jets or if it was mostly the Jets, I'd say that's not exactly optimal either. 

Continuing to draft quality WR's that can be had a dime a dozen while knowing full well quality OL are so scarce no team is gonna let go of them without a harsh price hasn't worked out well for us either. 

• Pie 1

With everyone healthy, I still think our best five could end up being Moton at LT, Erving at LG, Elflein at C, Brown at RG, and Christensen at RT.

All I know is that if any of our starting interior OL are truly the best options on the roster, there HAVE to be guys on couches who can help this roster.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, Mage said:

The only offensive line in Panthers history that I can remember being worse, is 2014.  

Isn't that crazy though?  For as bad as this OL is, I STILL don't think it is half as bad as the one that year.  At least until Norwell and Turner started later in the season.  

The line the majority of the season IIRC

Byron Bell

Amini Silatolu

Ryan Kalil

Fernando Velasco

Nate Chandler

Now the question is does this team have any Norwell/Turner's they can insert into the line-up late in the season?  I'd say our only hope is Deonte Brown.  Play Moton/Brady at the tackles spot, hope Brown works out at guard, allows us to move Erving to the other guard position.  That leaves Paradis but not much we can do about that.  

I remember Gettleman telling us that Bell had “left tackle” feet.

• Flames 1

12 hours ago, Zod said:

@NextGenStats: The Eagles pressured Sam Darnold on 19 of his 40 dropbacks (47.5%), allowing just 5 completions on 16 attempts under pressure (2 INT).

Four different Eagles pass rushers generated 6+ pressures, the second team to do so over the last four seasons.

The Movie Like American Psycho That Horror Fans Need To See

Just now, mc52beast said:

I remember Gettleman telling us that Bell had “left tackle” feet.

I'm still stunned when I think back that this organization actually full on planned to go into the season with Bell and Chandler starting at OT. Like, professional football evaluators looked at that situation, signed off on it, and decided this was a great plan of action. Oh wee mayne.