• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If any of these things are true, we win the game yesterday

Captroop

We played a horrible looking game yesterday. I've never had my ass fall asleep on my own couch watching a game before.

BUT I think yesterday's loss was not owing to the team's overall weakness, but due to a convergence of hobbling factors, that in aggregate lost us the game. And while I've got my finger resting weightlessly on the panic button, I do want to point out that if any single one of the following were true yesterday, we would have walked away with the ugly W:

• CMC plays: I think this really goes without saying. No disrespect to Chuba, who put together an amazing game as a rookie starter. But when you're playing without the best running back in the league, you're already at a disadvantage. And in a game where the offensive line was struggling, having a safety valve who also happens to be your most potent offensive weapon would have been a game-changer.
  • We started out intended offensive line: I know, our starters on the O-Line are mediocre, but the protection yesterday didn't even rise to the level of mediocre. You had guys shifting positions, you started a rookie, and our guards were...woof. If we had even mediocre play from our line, I think Sam makes enough plays, or rather avoids enough mistakes to win.
  • Charlton punted adequately: I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, but was Charlton playing injured? He looked like he pulled a hamstring right before the game. His punts were short, and he was so unreliable we actually called a bonkers pooch punt play that horrendously backfired. I also wonder if he was playing at 100% if he would have gotten the blocked punt off fast enough. As a result we lost the field position game, and made it that much harder for our gassed defense to secure the W. If Charlton plays up to his usual ability, I think we get the W.

The good news, if there's any to be had, is that these factors are either not permanent, or were inevitable.

We're getting CMC back. Charlton's bad day, I'm chalking up to being anomalous. And our O-Line, we've all known we needed to shuffle the line to get our rookies on the field and try the configurations that are going to work in the long term. And the first few starts were going to be ugly. So might as well get them on the field now, and get this line experience so we can hopefully compete down the stretch this season, or set ourselves up for next year.

Cant believe no one is saying this, we fall on the ball in the endzone instead of knocking it out the back for a safety..............thats 5 points left of the board right there! 4 Panthers couldnt fall on it!

The punt before the half to give up a 58 yd fg

Then us not attempting a 58 yarder

All WTF

The whole game was a comedy of errors.

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, usmcpanthers said:

Cant believe no one is saying this, we fall on the ball in the endzone instead of knocking it out the back for a safety..............thats 5 points left of the board right there! 4 Panthers couldnt fall on it!

The punt before the half to give up a 58 yd fg

Then us not attempting a 58 yarder

All WTF

The whole game was a comedy of errors.

It's a hand egg. It bounced arkwardly. Especially when the opposing QB almost picks it up and knocks it one direction then slaps it into another. 

We got the safety and the ball back. This is a lame excuse. 

• Beer 1