• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week 5 Offensive line review: Miller's new nickname is Sieve Smith

Ricky Spanish

3 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

Miller was a cheap signing they're trying to coach up, I figured he'd be replaced eventually. When the overall line is playing badly or against good competitors you can't hide him. He'd be serviceable if he were like *the* weak link and everyone else was good but again, not the situation. Deonte will be a welcome sight but he's a rookie and sometimes they need time to play and take their lumps so if he gets the start and plays poorly at first fans are gonna poop themselves. 

Some chatter about him having long Covid effects, and he has been listed as having a shoulder injury for the past two (miserable performance) weeks.  Clearly Miller isn’t 100% and is the weakest link.  

Different line up every week doesn’t help anyone.  Would have rather have Brady at LT.  He did get pushed lot, but first start and out of position.  Does Cam go to LT or RG?  Can’t shuffle everything and keep Darnold standing.

10 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Based on the highlights alone, Paradis was the most consistent Lineman we had yesterday and didn't look bad at all. 

Moton and Christiansen with all things considered, did well.

Daley did fine.

Miller needs to go. 

I'm not kidding, like 75% of all the bad came from Miller alone this game. 

John Miller has to be the worst starting OL in the league.  I take no pleasure in that but this guy is out of his element.  Just non-athletic 

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Best lineman of the game was still Moton.

Christensen played like a good rookie.

Daley needs to sit. Miller and Paradis probably do as well though I don't really think we've got another viable option at center.

At this point we really need to know what we have in Brown because it will really decide how we approach this off season. Hopefully he hasn't been benched simply because he's a rookie. 

2 hours ago, ichigo1057 said:

Speaking of that, I know we have Sam Tecklenburg as a backup at Center. I really don't know much about him including preseason. I don't even remember him from Preseason. I don't expect much of him but I'll admit I am kind of curious.

You shouldn't be.

13 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

13:57 - Line holds up with Moton giving the most ground but you can see his cleats gave him no traction as he literally slid backwards. Reminded me of Oher in the super bowl, but I digress. Line looked good, Sam threw a pick on the out to Robbie, game over. 

4th Quarter Summary:

Nothing egregious in the highlights

Except for this :

5q377m.jpg

Sam had Ian Thomas wide open.   but I've beaten that dead horse too many times so whatever.....

I also don't agree with giving Paradis a Solid "B".   But I guess Miller was so damn bad, it made Paradis look better than he was.

Edited by glenwo2

2 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Except for this :

5q377m.jpg

Sam had Ian Thomas wide open.   but I've beaten that dead horse too many times so whatever.....

I also don't agree with giving Paradis a Solid "B".   But I guess Miller was so damn bad, it made Paradis look better than he was.

You can beat the dead horse how much you want. This is not how football works.
The first read is on Moore. Ian Thomas is there only to lure the coverage and take the Linebacker out of the equation, in order to free the throwing lane to Moore.
Since that doesn't happen, the next reads are on the opposite side.
If you want to blame Sam for not throwing it to Chuba, that's fine (remember, this is a 1 & 20 with 2 minutes to go, thanks to our good boy Miller). But Ian Thomas is not supposed to be looked at when you see him "wide open". Just stop

Thanks OP for the hard work in going through all those plays. Sure hope someone on the coaching staff did at least that much work on dissecting the O-line.

I really didn't want to see us loading up two rookies on the right hand side of our line, but I think Christensen and Brown are going to have to make a go of it. Hopefully they can learn as they go. It may have to be run right and roll out for passes to the left for a bit. 

Daley, there's a sunk cost thing here and it's time we realize that he's just not going to be a starter there. Bench and ST for him. Elflein comes back, put him at LG, or slide Erving in there.

Paradis. Dang, I'm sorry but I don't see him either holding his own or helping out with protection calls at all. Might be time to shuffle him out and see if Tecklenburg can handle it.

At this point, I'm about ready to say reserve our first three picks in the draft for O-linemen, with a center being top priority. 

8 hours ago, Al Morgan said:

You can beat the dead horse how much you want. This is not how football works.
The first read is on Moore. Ian Thomas is there only to lure the coverage and take the Linebacker out of the equation, in order to free the throwing lane to Moore.
Since that doesn't happen, the next reads are on the opposite side.
If you want to blame Sam for not throwing it to Chuba, that's fine (remember, this is a 1 & 20 with 2 minutes to go, thanks to our good boy Miller). But Ian Thomas is not supposed to be looked at when you see him "wide open". Just stop

Are you for real, Mr. Post-Once-In-A-Blue-Moon person?  🤣

First off, Chuba would've gained just 5 measly yards as there was a Defender not far off from him.   Secondly, Chuba does not have good hands(YET) to catch the football.

Finally, throwing to Ian would've been the smartest choice.   If you looked back at the play, there was no one near him.   

In other words, the "lure the coverage" attempt(that you ASSUME was the plan, which I doubt) did not fool the Secondary ONE BIT!!   

You throw to Ian there who turned around and was READY for a Pass in case Sam bothered to look for him(which he foolishly didn't). 

Worst case scenario, after the catch,  he gets half those yards back to get the team back into a manageable down.

Plus we would have the 2 minute warning to stop the clock AND still have all 3 timeouts remaining.

So about *YOU* "just stop", eh?   Staring Ice Cube GIF

Edited by glenwo2