• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule blames the D when asked about offensive struggles

ncfan

5 minutes ago, Mage said:

Bro, you are reading way too much into this.

Who the hell cares how he phrases it?  He's clearly meaning that overall, the team didn't play good enough to win.  And it's true.

Ya'll get way too caught up in stuff like this.  This crap doesn't matter.  It's just for the media.  And it is clear throughout the press conference that Rhule knows the offense (especially the OL) is the biggest problem, he's simply saying that the defense was a problem too.  In particular he called out someone (not by name) who decided to do his own thing on the zone-read that Jalen Hurts scored on

Awkward Krieger GIF by Archer

I'm not reading into anything. Just reacting to what I heard during the press conference and the literal subject of the thread. 

It's silly to even imply the defense has an equal part blame in the loss. They put the offense in position to win several times. That's the bottom line. Whether he actually believes what he says or not is another matter. Just silly to even imply there's shared blame after they carried the team through the game. 

He's right that it's on him and the coaching staff. But even moreso on Joe Brady and his inability to get the offense going. He should be on the hot seat. Nothing he has done here is impressive. And if the comments about him not adjusting as the game progresses is true, then he should be gone. If the DBs are that locked in to our play calling that they know what route Robby is going to run before he runs it, then he should be gone. Rhule even makes a comment during the press conference along the lines of most of our touchdowns come during the first few drives of the game and then we stall out... I mean not adjusting or switching up play calls would explain that. I don't think its fair to look at that and see the offense isn't producing and then imply the blame should be shared. Like I said, whether he believes that or not, I don't know. After all, you mentioned this is for the media. 

To answer your question, we react to stuff like this because this is a football message board. At the end of the day, its just football and nothing that happens here has a bearing on what happens with the team. Nothing I say, you say, or anyone else says here affects the game in any way. So like the fans we are, we'll comment and discuss things that happen with the team or are said about the team. If we didn't, there'd be nothing to talk about. 

2 hours ago, Kuhndog94 said:

Playing conservative and punting at midfield before the half was some Rivera poo. The defense had shut the Eagles down up to that point. 

I think some have made to big a deal out of Rhule opting to punt just before halftime. There's no guarantee we would have coverted the 4th down if we had decided to go for it. If we couldn't stop the Eagles from driving for a FG just before the 2nd quarter ended, what make anyone thing we would've stopped them if they'd been close to start the drive?

The problem is the offense. In the last 9 games we have scored 17 points in the 3rd quarter. If we could've have made 1 FG in the game 3rd quarter we would've gone into overtime. Two FG's in the 3rd quarter would have WON the game. Even the 18 points we scored are misleading. Two of those points resulted from the botched snap that gave us the safety. 

The thing that really hurt us was not recovering the bad snap in the end zone. If we had got a TD instead of a safety that 4 point swing would've put us in the win column even if we had missed the extra point.

Edited by SCO96

For a guy who believes in stats and analytics, he's sure missing some big ones right now.

In 2020, 12 of 14 playoff teams averaged giving up 23 points or less per game.  2021 reality check:  Currently averaging 18 per game.  Our defense is fine.

In 2021, 12 of 14 playoff teams averaged scoring 26 points or more per game.  2021 reality check:  Currently averaging 23 per game.  I see you Joe Brady.

1 minute ago, Kuhndog94 said:

I'm not reading into anything. Just reacting to what I heard during the press conference and the literal subject of the thread. 

It's silly to even imply the defense has an equal part blame in the loss. They put the offense in position to win several times. That's the bottom line. Whether he actually believes what he says or not is another matter. Just silly to even imply there's shared blame after they carried the team through the game. 

He's the freakin' head coach.  Leaders don't go around and say, "the offense is the only reason we lost."  His job is to identify every problem with the team and try and fix it.  

It's coach-speak.  Like seriously, how long have ya'll been watching football?  Have ya'll ever played football?  When a team loses, everyone gets blamed.  It doesn't matter if it is fair or not.  This is what you guys are missing out on.  Nobody in the locker-room is taking it personal that Rhule called the defense out.  That's his job.  Or would you rather him be like Rivera, and act like the team is just one nice break away from being a winning football team?

Don't say you aren't reading into anything when that is PRECISELY what you are doing.  Every HC passes blame around to everyone on the team.  I dare you to find me one head coach who has ever said, "the offense lost us that football game."  Even when kickers miss game-winning FGs, HCs are quick to say it falls on the team.  

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, Mage said:

He's the freakin' head coach.  Leaders don't go around and say, "the offense is the only reason we lost."  His job is to identify every problem with the team and try and fix it.  

It's coach-speak.  Like seriously, how long have ya'll been watching football?  Have ya'll ever played football?  When a team loses, everyone gets blamed.  It doesn't matter if it is fair or not.  This is what you guys are missing out on.  Nobody in the locker-room is taking it personal that Rhule called the defense out.  That's his job.  Or would you rather him be like Rivera, and act like the team is just one nice break away from being a winning football team?

Don't say you aren't reading into anything when that is PRECISELY what you are doing.  Every HC passes blame around to everyone on the team.  I dare you to find me one head coach who has ever said, "the offense lost us that football game."  Even when kickers miss game-winning FGs, HCs are quick to say it falls on the team.  

I'm not sure what's got your goat. I'm just commenting on what he said. I think you're reading too much into my posts. 

1 minute ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Exactly right

Na man you're supposed to be the same on offense when you draft all defense, trade for all defense, and pick up all FA defense. #1 picks? defense

Hell even in 2018 6/8 picks were defense then too. Just don't look at the 2019 draft another fuging Hurney special.

7 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I think some have made to big a deal out of Rhule opting to punt just before halftime. There's no guarantee we would have coverted the 4th down if we had decided to go for it. If we couldn't stop the Eagles from driving for a FG just before the 2nd quarter ended, what make anyone thing we would've stopped them if they'd been close to start the drive?

The problem is the offense. In the last 9 games we have scored 17 points in the 3rd quarter. If we could've have made 1 FG in the game 3rd quarter we would've gone into overtime. Two FG's in the 3rd quarter would have WON the game. Even the 18 points we scored are misleading. Two of those points resulted from the botched snap that gave us the safety. 

The thing that really hurt us was not recovering the bad snap in the end zone. If we had got a TD instead of a safety that 4 point swing would've put us in the win column even if we had missed the extra point.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's very possible that we wouldn't get the conversion there. But as a fan, I like to see aggressive play calling. Personally wouldn't have blamed him if we didn't make it. 

I agree that the problem is the offense. If we continue to have problems in the 2nd half, Joe Brady should be on the hot seat. 

It would've been nice if the defense recovered that ball in the endzone. But again, if we are relying on our defense to score points, then we have big problems with the offense. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Hes not wrong, you should win if you have a 5 point lead with less than 5 minutes to go, I don't give a fug all what the offense did to that point.  The way the defense folded on the eagles td drive and then even more embarrassingly what they did when we still had a chance to get the ball back at the end by letting a crappy eagles running game shove the ball right up our asshole.  So yea, offense was beyond trash, special teams beyond trash, but that doesn't take away from the God awful showing our defense had at the end of the game.

Gotta disagree. A 5 point lead is a one score game. A team can score a TD and miss the extra point and still win in the scenario above. We should have been up by more than 5 points at that time.

Of course, for the past 9 games we have only scored 17 points in the 3rd quarter so perhaps we Panther fans are expecting too much if we think the team should be scoring more points to build bigger leads and keep the defense rested on the sidelines. 🙄 

Edited by SCO96

2 hours ago, SpeedOFLight said:

I was watching the Chargers game and to see their coaches be aggressive to have the Browns on their toes makes me alittle jealous.  I’m certainly not a fan on the play calling and Sam leaves much to be desired . Our defense had back to back turnovers while our offense went lame and couldn’t capitalize on it. 

But they are scheming players wide open and he is missing the throws. Greg Olsen even said it on the broadcast yesterday that Sam missed a lot of throws. 

37 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

But they are scheming players wide open and he is missing the throws. Greg Olsen even said it on the broadcast yesterday that Sam missed a lot of throws. 

I seen that too. I really didn’t like the Darnold pick up but I’m cheering for him as long as he is a panther but he doesn’t seem to have what we need