• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding Anderson's Rant

Mr. Scot

10 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

But we have time to wait for comeback routes?

Yes.  A comeback is typically thrown before the receiver makes a break.  The QB reads the DB and decides whether he's leveraged to make the play or not.  Basically the QB is just throwing to a spot before the receiver reaches the top of his route.

Double moves and stuff the QB can't get the read until after the move has been made.  The QB can't even make the read until the receiver reaches the top of the route and makes his break.  Unless you see something very specific pre-snap, those types of routes are typically your last read before you check it down.

A lot really comes down to the way the play and progression are drawn up.

• Pie 2

Just now, flagfootballcoach28 said:

And what makes you think Sam Darnold would've had time to throw a double route? Only TD that could  have taken place is a strip sack fumble return TD 

Put some dang air under the ball and let it fly.  Double moves happen fast, as fast as the hitch route he ran that got picked.

1 hour ago, Fox007 said:

Yea you just throw it down the sideline...like slant and gos don't require a lot of time nor does a short hitch and go. Throw it right after the first move is being made and they can catch and run. 

Also max protect...there's plenty we haven't tried.

They keep doing these outs with RA so no an out and up isn't going to fly but other poo is just fine. 

Nothing against max protect myself, but it's somewhat philosophically opposite a West Coast Offense.

Heck, one of the reasons WCOs tend to have mobile quarterbacks is that they don't always keep the backs or TEs in to block. The idea being that more receiving options being open is the better way to go.

• Pie 1

Hiring Joe Brady was my favorite offseason move heading into the Rhule regime. I was ecstatic.

I’m ready for us to relieve him of his duties at this point. How many 1st down runs did we call yesterday? Cuz it seemed like literally every drive besides our last one. How many formations did we line up in that based on the personnel alone screamed, “we r about to run it”?!?

Our offense was predictable as hell and inefficient as I’ve ever seen it. This is no over reaction either. Yesterday’s offensive performance was pathetic and an absolute spit in the face to our defense.

I know our oline sucks, but please get somebody in here that has actual experience in calling even a somewhat successful offense.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nothing against max protect myself, but it's somewhat philosophically opposite a West Coast Offense.

Heck, one of the reasons WCOs tend to have mobile quarterbacks is that they don't always keep the backs or TEs in to block. The idea being that more receiving options being open is the better way to go.

Yea but you gotta go with what's actually the case. I mean like two TE sets and poo...when we had Shockey and Olsen that was good for Cam and could help Darnold too but obviously we don't have anyone near either of those guys but the matchup is what we're looking for.

38 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Yes.  A comeback is typically thrown before the receiver makes a break.  The QB reads the DB and decides whether he's leveraged to make the play or not.  Basically the QB is just throwing to a spot before the receiver reaches the top of his route.

Double moves and stuff the QB can't get the read until after the move has been made.  The QB can't even make the read until the receiver reaches the top of the route and makes his break.  Unless you see something very specific pre-snap, those types of routes are typically your last read before you check it down.

A lot really comes down to the way the play and progression are drawn up.

Seems like the last two weeks others teams know when the comeback route is coming, I think 3 of the last 5 picks have been on those routes

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Seems like the last two weeks others teams know when the comeback route is coming, I think 3 of the last 5 picks have been on those routes

For sure and it's a good call by Robbie to suggest it. I bet it works when we do it too.

• Beer 1