• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty puts the blame yesterday all on the OL

ncfan

17 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Scheming players wide open?  The last 2 weeks dbs from the other team have said they knew the exact routes that were coming on the plays they got their interceptions on...

So first quarter last week against Dallas DJ Moore wasn't streaking wide open and was missed by Darnold? Also, Robbie Anderson wasn't wide open on the post Sunday against Philly and was under thrown? He didn't miss Thomas on third down Sunday twice? Players are being schemed open. Also why I said every play you scheme isn't going to work! But when someone breaks open you have to hit it.

Just now, Panther53521 said:

Robbie ran a lazy route, didn’t help Darnold at all

He's gotta come back to some of the balls for sure. Like even on the deep pass that was underthrown he just waited for the ball to come down instead of coming back and high pointing the ball. Desean Jackson had a deep pass underthrown and went back to it...usually underthrown bombs go to even half ass decent WRs even if it's a PI call coming back to it.

He's not helping Darnold out and that's true along with the truth that the passes weren't the best or the decisions being the best. It's not binary, Sam can do better and Robbie can certainly do better.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

12 minutes ago, mwright350 said:

Man when I said I wasn't going to lead you to the water I didn't expect you'd fall face first into the pond.  

I made a single comparison to Brady - Darnold is not as good as he is.  Are you saying I'm incorrect and that your point was that "old man" Brady is in fact WORSE than Darnold thus Darnold should be expected to do better?  Denigrating the guy you chose to use as an example of how pressure should be handled is a bit odd otherwise.

I agree many people thought Brady might be done at the beginning of last season, no argument from me - turns out he wasn't.  This too is counter to your agenda.

Just because it will hurt my soul to let it lie:  also confusing is stating in your response that Darnold needs to get better regardless of our oline (which is not something I disagree with - he clearly still has growth that should happen) when the post I was responding to *directly involves the oline* and how a QB responds to their failures.  Bro.  Stop.

So the situation as it stands is: faced with stats from across a full season that show even great QBs (which Sam is not at this point, and may never be because not a damn one of us has a crystal ball) are demonstrably worse when under pressure your fallbacks are Brady is an old man, referencing posts that are not in any way germane to what you're responding to (BUT MAHOMES BROOOOO!!??), changing the scope of your point, and that football isn't my sport?  k

C'est fini

If you want to dunk go ahead we're just people discussing football. You're trying to make this exclusively about Tom bc I used that as an example but he is not the only quarterback that has had success throwing under pressure. Sam Darnold has never been a great qb or had a good season as a starting qb yet and he just had yet another career worst start against an inferior opponent at home not just bc of the line but bc he made bad decisions with the football even when he had time just as he did in NY. As others have noted there are plenty of opportunities left for him to show us something better but to make it all about the oline when we have seen glimpses of bad Sam through the first 5 games with some costly turnovers negated by our defense and finally culminating in one of the worst home losses I can recall is akin to burying your head in the sand. We need Sam to pull a 180 from whatever that was Sunday but I'm not expecting miracles.

17 minutes ago, ncfan said:

“Sam should get the ball out faster”

Fair point but pause at 0:04 and one can make the argument that he could've quickly tossed it to DJ Moore running across.   

Still, though....Look at Paradis who was guarding no one and did not even bother to help out against Hargrave.   Woof!  No wonder Paradis got a "B"....it's because others were doing more terribly than he was.

5 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Fair point but pause at 0:04 and one can make the argument that he could've quickly tossed it to DJ Moore running across.   

Still, though....Look at Paradis who was guarding no one and did not even bother to help out against Hargrave.   Woof!  No wonder Paradis got a "B"....it's because others were doing more terribly than he was.

As the grades have showed … Moton is the only that had a block

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, ncfan said:

“Sam should get the ball out faster”

Unacceptable from the interior of the line obviously but one thing I noticed from the loss was Sam didn't seem to be moving around the pocket or utilizing his mobility much like he had in previous games where he was pressured and escaped and either threw it away or tossed a completion. He just stood there and ate sacks or he threw the ball directly at defenders even with time. I'm not talking about every instance bc some of those were instant pressure where he had no chance but there were possible opportunities. He could very well be getting David Carr'd before our eyes.

• Poo 1

On 10/11/2021 at 3:25 PM, Fox007 said:

As if they wouldn't panic when 260-300+ pounders are bearing down on you with some Paradis and Daley and Miller blocking for you. Be full scale sirens fug panic. He has 0 reason to trust those gabbage players. Not even just talking career, but life altering poo that can happen.

Simms missing a spleen by Peppers for example. fug that how about block someone.

Not to be nit-picking but I am. It was Al Wallace that ruptured Simms' spleen. Not Peppers.

17 hours ago, frankw said:

I hope. The Bills seem to be doing very well they obviously know a thing or two. We still need our oc and quarterback on the same page though. Darnold has more picks than rookie Mac Jones and Panthers fans belittled him like it was their job 😬

lol Guess who is the Bills' RG? Darryl Williams. Yeah, that Darryl Williams.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

Not to be nit-picking but I am. It was Al Wallace that ruptured Simms' spleen. Not Peppers.

lol Guess who is the Bills' RG? Darryl Williams. Yeah, that Darryl Williams.

Oh na that's not nit picking that's just facts. Wow I don't even remember it being Wallace...did Peppers do someone similar? No idea why I remember that being Peppers but the last person I'd have picked as a second would have been Wallace.

Thanks for the correction.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

So first quarter last week against Dallas DJ Moore wasn't streaking wide open and was missed by Darnold? Also, Robbie Anderson wasn't wide open on the post Sunday against Philly and was under thrown? He didn't miss Thomas on third down Sunday twice? Players are being schemed open. Also why I said every play you scheme isn't going to work! But when someone breaks open you have to hit it.

The only play I specifically remember that you mentioned enough to comment on was the miss to Robby Anderson.  Where he was pressured and running forward in the pocket and flicked it 52 yards.  Yes he was a yard short,  yes he was under pressure and on the run at the time. 

5 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

He didn't even have time to set his feet to throw it away much less find someone to throw it to..  That is an unreal expectation to put on him. He made bad decisions but this is not one if them.