• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty puts the blame yesterday all on the OL

ncfan

11 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

How many times did you post this?

Facts don't care about your feelings. Do you have any thoughts on the play or are you just going to complain that people are speaking about it? Maybe you should go start your own fan community you can call it positive thoughts only.

18 hours ago, ncfan said:

think that falls under the duress what he is saying.  Notice the guy up n the left and Sam not stepping into the throw.

I personally think that was a bad read.  But can pick up what Smitty is putting down

Moton is right on him, and it's inside the 2 minute warning. I think this one falls into the kicked dog syndrome. Poor Sam is shell-shocked.

7 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

5?

5q377m.jpg

Ian Thomas had plenty of real estate to get 20 or more yards to get a first down(and then some) if Sam looked his way and threw it to him. 

Bad decision on his part.

I agree. Looking again, Thomas could had at least got half of that back. Also Sam needs to know what's he's working with. He has all 3 timeouts and the 2:00 min warning. There was no reason to force this ball to Anderson. Take the check down, go to 2 mins, live another down. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

This is direct pressure from the middle of the line in the quarterbacks face yet it resulted in a 61 yard touchdown pass.

spacer.png

Sam Darnold threw a game sealing pick toward a receiver surrounded by three defenders from a clean pocket. Quit with the excuses he isn't a rookie anymore.

16 hours ago, ImaginaryKev said:

If anything Lamar, Baker, Allen, Mahomes, and even Herbert prove you can overcome sole big concerns in your scouting report if the team supports you. That's why have hope for Sam Darnold still and consider him a rookie tbh. But he's also on a two year contract so you gotta plan accordingly. 

I still consider Tom Brady to be a rookie with Covid and all. Imagine how good he'll be in the next 5-10 years.

51 minutes ago, frankw said:

This is direct pressure from the middle of the line in the quarterbacks face yet it resulted in a 61 yard touchdown pass.

spacer.png

Sam Darnold threw a game sealing pick toward a receiver surrounded by three defenders from a clean pocket. Quit with the excuses he isn't a rookie anymore.

When he had at least one and maybe two wide open receivers underneath that would have picked up significant yardage.  He tried to make the bigger play when the smaller one would have been far better.  

41 minutes ago, frankw said:

spacer.png

I also like to cherry pick stats, games, and plays to show points, because that's how this works right?!  (Yes sometimes even from the greatest QB we've probably ever seen, since that was the opening salvo's subject matter).  As a concession I'm willing to limit myself to a set of games rather than individual plays, I like the 2020 season for this.

So let's stipulate some things!

~Tom Brady is a far superior QB to Sam Darnold - I doubt anyone on either side of this silliness will argue that point no matter how it furthers their own agenda

~Pressure is pressure regardless of how good the Defense is since on that play the defense won to that point.

(stats through 1/26/2021 referencing the 2020 season because I could not be bothered to do more than look them up to make this stupid point)

-----

Playoffs

Brady not under pressure: 61.4% completion

Brady under pressure: 28.6% completion 

Regular Season

Brady not under pressure: 71.7% completion

Brady under pressure: 43.8% completion

-----

Lead yourself to whatever water you want with that, since I can't make you drink I'm not gonna bother with the trip.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, mwright350 said:

snip

And Mahommes got dunked on with just his LT being out in the Super Bowl. There's nothing to talk about honestly, can't properly evaluate QB play with this inept of an OL. Darnold makes some bad decisions as does literally every QB who would have 47% pressure rate.

Doesn't mean he will be the answer and also doesn't mean this is how our RBs would play when they get good blocking for once either. We have had production from the RBs despite the trash heap OL so imagine them with blocking. Everything improves from the line on out when you have actual NFL OLmen.

28 minutes ago, mwright350 said:

I also like to cherry pick stats, games, and plays to show points, because that's how this works right?!  (Yes sometimes even from the greatest QB we've probably ever seen, since that was the opening salvo's subject matter).  As a concession I'm willing to limit myself to a set of games rather than individual plays, I like the 2020 season for this.

So let's stipulate some things!

~Tom Brady is a far superior QB to Sam Darnold - I doubt anyone on either side of this silliness will argue that point no matter how it furthers their own agenda

~Pressure is pressure regardless of how good the Defense is since on that play the defense won to that point.

(stats through 1/26/2021 referencing the 2020 season because I could not be bothered to do more than look them up to make this stupid point)

-----

Playoffs

Brady not under pressure: 61.4% completion

Brady under pressure: 28.6% completion 

Regular Season

Brady not under pressure: 71.7% completion

Brady under pressure: 43.8% completion

-----

Lead yourself to whatever water you want with that, since I can't make you drink I'm not gonna bother with the trip.

He's been compared with Pat Mahomes multiple times in different threads here in the last 24 hours bc of the oline despite the fact Mahomes leads the league in touchdowns. Brady may be the goat but he's an old man whom most of us thought was done last year when he was throwing pick sixes to start the season. Darnold is a fourth year 3rd overall pick looking more and more like the bust he was in NY and if you got a problem with him being held to a standard not to directly lose us games maybe football isn't your sport. I've seen the most pitiful excuses around here in the last day or so and it's a joke. He is tied for third in interceptions and 5 of those have been within two games. He needs to get much better as a passer regardless of our oline.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

He's been compared with Pat Mahomes multiple times in different threads here in the last 24 hours bc of the oline despite the fact Mahomes leads the league in touchdowns. Brady may be the goat but he's an old man whom most of us thought was done last year when he was throwing pick sixes to start the season. Darnold is a fourth year 3rd overall pick looking more and more like the bust he was in NY and if you got a problem with him being held to a standard not to directly lose us games maybe football isn't your sport. I've seen the most pitiful excuses around here in the last day or so and it's a joke. He is tied for third in interceptions and 5 of those have been within two games. He needs to get much better as a passer regardless of our oline.

Man when I said I wasn't going to lead you to the water I didn't expect you'd fall face first into the pond.  

I made a single comparison to Brady - Darnold is not as good as he is.  Are you saying I'm incorrect and that your point was that "old man" Brady is in fact WORSE than Darnold thus Darnold should be expected to do better?  Denigrating the guy you chose to use as an example of how pressure should be handled is a bit odd otherwise.

I agree many people thought Brady might be done at the beginning of last season, no argument from me - turns out he wasn't.  This too is counter to your agenda.

Just because it will hurt my soul to let it lie:  also confusing is stating in your response that Darnold needs to get better regardless of our oline (which is not something I disagree with - he clearly still has growth that should happen) when the post I was responding to *directly involves the oline* and how a QB responds to their failures.  Bro.  Stop.

So the situation as it stands is: faced with stats from across a full season that show even great QBs (which Sam is not at this point, and may never be because not a damn one of us has a crystal ball) are demonstrably worse when under pressure your fallbacks are Brady is an old man, referencing posts that are not in any way germane to what you're responding to (BUT MAHOMES BROOOOO!!??), changing the scope of your point, and that football isn't my sport?  k

C'est fini

• Pie 1