• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who would you rank as the Panthers BEST Offensive Coordinator in Team History....

TheBigKat

6 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Also Henning called X clown. 

funniest part about the greatest and most memorable play in Panther history…

per Jake, it never actually worked out well in practice when they ran it.   So essentially, a play they weren’t even good at was called and just happened to work out masterfully.

That’s football sometimes. The line between genius and dumb often is so very thin 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Not necessarily. I don't think advocating for more of the same that's getting us in this predicament is also somehow going to get us out of said predicament. Seems at least one WR agrees with me.

Odds would at least favor a QB with a long history of ball security and turnovers….being asked to go deep more behind a horrible OL would have increased odds for negative plays though.  

We need OL talent.  OL is so bad a great OC’s plays would blowup on him.  

People will always be disappointed with offensive playcalling…with a horrible OL.    You can’t successfully pull it off for 4 quarters vs good comp.  The lines make or break an offense or defense.  

19 hours ago, CRA said:

I think the Panthers have the best win% and most playoffs appearances under Shula than any other OC.   I hate that brand of football but at some point the team success IMO has to factor. 

not saying his the best or was good....but Shula can't rank at the bottom in Carolina. 

No other coordinator had anything remotely close to the talent at QB that Shula had. I hate taking stats at face value, analysis of the conditions have to factor in.  I truly believe that with any of the other coordinators we’ve had we’d have won that SB

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

No other coordinator had anything remotely close to the talent at QB that Shula had. I hate taking stats at face value, analysis of the conditions have to factor in.  I truly believe that with any of the other coordinators we’ve had we’d have won that SB

Yea dunno what happened to CRA but that logic would mean Dave Gettleman is a good GM as we had the best run of success with him as GM....

12-4 - playoffs
7-8-1 - playoffs
15-1 - Superb Owl appearance
6-10
11-5 - playoffs
--------------------
51-28-1  for the greatest GM!

Edited by Fox007
  • Pie 1

17 hours ago, thennek said:

Henning also has two Superbowl rings to his name. The guy had a lot of success with Washington before being with the Panthers. He created a very solid smash mouth offense with big play ability mixed in. 

Henning went to Miami after he was fired and was calling all that wild stuff with Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown too.  The conservative stick in the mud stuff we saw on offense was more of a John Fox thing imo.

• Pie 2

58 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Yea dunno what happened to CRA but that logic would mean Dave Gettleman is a good GM as we had the best run of success with him as GM....

12-4 - playoffs
7-8-1 - playoffs
15-1 - Superb Owl appearance
6-10
11-5 - playoffs
--------------------
51-28-1  for the greatest GM!

Yup.  I'm sure he mentioned that in his interviews. smh

• Beer 1

Ya know...I'd probably say Chud since the 2TE set worked so well with Smith on the outside (which obviously helps) and the running game was stout. 

BUT, I will say, as much as we all hated Mike Shula, I have no idea how we went 15-1 with that WR group. Ted "brick hands" Ginn, Jerricho "40 year old" Cotchery, Devin "no separation" Funchess, and Corey "no name" Brown. Granted, that was probably the best O-line we've had since the first superbowl run era so that definitely helped. 

Look, I'm NOT picking Shula, but I have to give credit for calling plays to get those guys open.

Please don't hurt me