• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The new Superman will come out

jayboogieman

If you follow comics at all you know exactly how this is going to go. They did this to drum up controversy and attention. Sales will probably be poor. Clark Kent will be Superman again this time next year just like he always was going to be anyways. 

I agree that the woke stuff is annoying but I don't even care in this case. If they can take a known character who no one really cares about and make him a hero for gay kids, good on em.

I remember the uproar when they killed Superman back in the 1990s. Made tons of money for them, brought the character back to some level of relevance and made headlines. It was a good business move and in the end that's really what matters to DC or any other publishing company. Get ears to hear the news and you'll get wallets to pay for the comics.

Same thing just for a different audience. Shake it up and wake it up. 

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

I remember the uproar when they killed Superman back in the 1990s. Made tons of money for them, brought the character back to some level of relevance and made headlines. It was a good business move and in the end that's really what matters to DC or any other publishing company. Get ears to hear the news and you'll get wallets to pay for the comics.

Same thing just for a different audience. Shake it up and wake it up. 

The woke stuff has resulted in record low sales which is astounding since the characters are more popular than ever. But yeah, its the same principle as before. Do something "shocking", generate headlines, then return things back to the status quo in 6 months.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, CanePantherHornet said:

The woke stuff has resulted in record low sales which is astounding since the characters are more popular than ever. But yeah, its the same principle as before. Do something "shocking", generate headlines, then return things back to the status quo in 6 months.

I agree, but I see most of the evidence pointing to comic sales being fairly stable with some bumps coming from special covers/cardstock fronts in Superman/Action Comics. I don't think "woke" has anything to do with it and that might be attempting to put in a narrative that just doesn't exist. 

Truth be told, the big name comics roll along steadily in sales year after year, then publishers see a need to goose the sales a bit so a new writing/art team is brought in to jostle the story, reactivate some readers that were fading and generally spruce things up a bit. That's been happening since the days of the 1970s when this became a big business. Sometimes writers want to make a big splash and you end up with a Death of Superman event, or a new Spider-Man title, etc. Sometimes you get big events than span multiple comics (the preferred for maximum impact) like Crisis on Infinite Earths. All of these have been done to death, so they're just looking for something to do. Characters coming out has happened before (going way back to the early days of Alpha Flight) when it was a real shocker that got even a minor character a bunch of real news coverage. In today's market, getting Supes to come out is about the only way to use that angle and move the news coverage needle. And so, there it goes. It is what it is, it's all fiction and  maybe it'll make for an interesting story.

People get so worked up over fictional characters.

For me, I'm 100% fine with gay characters, former heroes turned female, POC taking over formerly white roles, etc. if creators are doing it for the right reasons. If it makes sense for the story, if it makes sense for the character, if it means something to the writer personally, etc. But to do all of these changes lately JUST to check off a box, avoid being "canceled", avoid backlash, and all that is just annoying.