• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Rhule Blaming the Defense or Acknowledging Something Else**

SetfreexX

His wording made him sound like he was blaming the defense. Problem is the defense stood on their head most of the game, forced turnovers the offense was incapable of capitalizing on, and got put in terrible field position situations. The defense had a great game all things considered. The offense was beyond terrible and if that incompetency continues someone needs to be fired. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

The actual presser, and in context, it did not sound like his message to the team and media has been "the defense is at fault," but that it was a team loss.  I think you're keying in to something important though, he has higher expectations for the D.  But we need the same investment and expectations for our O or we will squander the talent we have on D.

Acknowledging the amount we've spent on D is not blaming them exclusively when it's part of a wider set of comments though. I really think some of this is being taken too much out of context.

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, thennek said:

Actually- one could argue special teams lost the game. That blocked punt was the beginning of the end. Even with all of the offensive woes the Panthers still win without the blocked punt….

I'd go back to the play where Quez Watkins beat our depth Safety Sam Franklin for 56 yards, to me that is what gave PHI life / momentum; because they had been stifled all day, to me they just waited for Darnold to implode as the game went on as they sat on everything intermediate to short. 

Which they could do, due to their IDL - Hargrove / Cox

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The actual presser, and in context, it did not sound like his message to the team and media has been "the defense is at fault," but that it was a team loss.  I think you're keying in to something important though, he has higher expectations for the D.  But we need the same investment and expectations for our O or we will squander the talent we have on D.

Acknowledging the amount we've spent on D is not blaming them exclusively when it's part of a wider set of comments though. I really think some of this is being taken too much out of context.

The portion I bolded I personally believe is coming, IF he sticks to his turn around track record (paraphrasing below) we are on course.

Rhule Rough Summary Of Program Rebuild Timelines:

Year 1 - Below .500 getting the base established

Year 2 - Acknowledgeable improvement, around .500 (I estimated personally 7-9 wins as I wasn't a huge fan of the Darnold move, and knew we were weak on the OL)

Year 3 - Marked improvement Bowl Game appearance, winning record. In our case a playoff appearance / 10 - 12 wins (I think that is possible with a better OL)

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I didn't get the impression he was blaming defense or saying we lost because of the defense.  He did say when we needed 1 more stop, the defense failed even after the investments made on that side of the ball.  Period.  Take that for what it is.  That statement is not incorrect at all.

The team is built right now for the defense to carry the offense.  I think the defense did an outstanding job with the exception of a couple drives.  It's hard to get a stop on a sudden change on a 27 yard field.  Holding them to a field goal there would have been brilliant though.  That was the 3rd turnover btw (blocked punt basically is a turnover imo).  First one was held to 3 pts.  Second one resulted in a punt, so the defense did it twice already in the same game.

I think this place has a lot of people who a) like drama and b) are very angry people.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Its not hard to see that he wasn't blaming the defense. He was trying to say that its a team loss and that everyone has missed opportunities. 

But coach Rhule does come across as annoyingly passive aggressive. The way he answers questions about the team and personnel are evasive and some stuff is just a flat out lie. Attempting to be "positive about everything" means you end not being honest about anything. 

• Pie 1