• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thats a BIG drink of water.

Zod

50 minutes ago, hepcat said:

If you are signing these guys to be backups it makes sense. But they were signed to be starters and it’s been a disaster

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have no issue with Rhules rationale if we had signed them as backups and paid them as backups. But as you said  don't expect them to start each week and pay them as a starter and then talk about versatility. You need that for depth since you don't always have the luxury of having a backup at every position. But your starters have to be quality guys who can do the job. And obviously we dont.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That is exactly what I was thinking. I have no issue with Rhules rationale if we had signed them as backups and paid them as backups. But as you said  don't expect them to start each week and pay them as a starter and then talk about versatility. You need that for depth since you don't always have the luxury of having a backup at every position. But your starters have to be quality guys who can do the job. And obviously we dont.

I want them starting.  They have performed better than the backups.

8 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Do we have much choice? The issue isn't whether they are the best option, but why are they the best option we could find and why did we pay them as starters.

Your right, not much choice.

5M/yr for 2 years is quite reasonable for a starting tackle.  If Erving plays like he did the first 3 games, for the rest of the season, it doesn't look like that bad a deal.  Jury is out on that one imo.

Elflein is another story, when he was on the field, he wasn't as bad as people said and he is CERTAINLY better than Daley.  But he's been out 3 games.  4.5/yr for 3 years seems too high for what we are getting so far.  Hopefully he turns things around, mostly because the alternatives look worse at this point.

Edited by SBBlue

1 hour ago, PandaMan said:

Unfortunately for the team I agree to a degree, you can’t turn chicken poo into a Beef Wellington.  OL talent is a league wide shortage, so any coaching benefit is a bonus.  If we can focus on OL in the draft next year, I feel like Travelle could be a good mind for any OL hopefuls to dive into.  He played guard and tackle at a level where he’d be cherished if he was still playing 

I think Pat Meyer is a fine coach. He’s not the problem. You said it yourself, “can’t turn chicken poo into a Beef Wellington”. It’s not the chef. If it’s chicken poo (this OL), it’s chicken poo. 

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

You don’t think having a capable blocking RB planned into the scheme matters? That doesn’t excuse how shitty the OL is. But it’s the reason we had a few decent games. 

Was Chuba or whoever else playing RB last Sunday the reason Miller and Daley couldn’t block? 

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

Why are they so worried about Browns weight. I've never seen a staff so concerned about weight. 

I’d imagine playing might help shed a few pounds if that’s really the issue. It’s a dumb excuse. Normally I wouldn’t care because he’s a 6th rounder but coming from that program clearly the guy can play…right? 

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, RJK said:

I’d imagine playing might help shed a few pounds if that’s really the issue. It’s a dumb excuse. Normally I wouldn’t care because he’s a 6th rounder but coming from that program clearly the guy can play…right? 

Now the problem supposedly is he's adjusting to playing under his usual weight....

• Pie 1