• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFLPA Smith want to look closer into hiring practices

Snake

Send this to the TB if needed but it's Panthers related because it effects every team and the WFT that we play this year. He's wanting emails released to see if racism was involved in the hiring process. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32395337/demaurice-smith-discusses-email-trove-wft-investigation-questions-whether-race-factor-hiring-decisions-nfl

This won't play out pretty. Gruden was a big target and it feels like he was picked out and thrown to the lions because they knew it was there. And there's a real good chance that how he was later hired by the Raiders (with nothing but token minority interviews) led to these e-mails being dragged out of the troves received by Redskins management/ownership. 

If they open up the rest of those communiques Redskins ownership had with other owners, etc... there's going to be some very bad news. Gruden wasn't just one lone rogue in the chapel.

I think someone spiked Gruden with this, perhaps someone still upset with his brother and his time with the Redskins. That person, though, has opened a Pandora's box in attempting to get one guy. And I think it behooves the NFL to go ahead and bring it out into daylight and fix it, rather than to go through an embarrassing attempt to publicly close that box.

• Pie 3

Well, rhey called Gruden a racist for disagreeing with kneeling during the National Anthem. As the dude on ESPN said (former player), "I don't think Gruden was a racist. It doesn't seem like he liked anyone very much."

So this is more about Grudens disdain of people in general than any specific characteristic of an intersectional class of people. He just happens to be white so anything said negatively about any minority is taken as if it has racial bias involved when in reality he treated everyone the same regardless of skin color.

They also called him a homophobe for calling out Jeff Fisher for drafting Michael Sam because of the public perception of Sam being the first openly gay player. Yet Sam fizzled out in quick order so Grudens judgment on Sam's talent as it relates to the NFL was actually spot on.

With the Raiders, he has the NFL first openly game starter and he has developed into one of of NFL best pass rushers. But neither the end to the Sam saga or his signing of this defensive end matter because they don't fit the context within which the story is being pushed. 

I could write the same type of article as the New York Times explaining why Gruden is not a homophobe using the logic above and it would be far more relevant contextually to the end result than anything they wrote, but people don't care. 

Gruden was removed from the Bucs Ring of Honor while OJ Simpson remains on the Bills, I believe. There is a boatload of hypocrisy going on right now and I'm not the least bit surprised. Did Gruden say nasty things using outdated terms with negative connotations that now make people shudder? Absolutely. Should he have been punished? Yes. Should he have been fired? No.

If Greg Hardy and OJ Simpson get a pass for their transgressions, how can Gruden be dumped as if he literally murdered someone? He was dropped from everything faster than than Pats dropped Aaron Hernandez. This isn't about the truth. It's about building a narrative to fit the end goal. 

I'm all for personal accountability for things people say and do, but I feel as not enough critical thinking over the context is done here. People have trigger words now that automatically label a person and make them a pariah without further explanation or exploration. 

Gruden should have likely been suspended, but none of this happened while an employee of an NFL franchise. The punishment does not fit the crime. I see people on TV feigning anger but deep down you can see the effort to present their emotions through words but their physical reaction does not line up with their words which suggests to me they don't believe what they themselves are saying; and who is driving this story?

Edited by CPcavedweller
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 4
  • Poo 2

Good, they should release it all.

The NFLexecutives are shady as hell and literally only care about the bottom line. From spygate to concussions to Kaepernick being black balled, the Jerry Richardson’s shenanigans to the WFT investigation. It will never end until these scumbags in power are held accountable.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Well, rhey called Gruden a racist for disagreeing with kneeling during the National Anthem. As the dude on ESPN said (former player), "I don't think Gruden was a racist. It doesn't seem like he liked anyone very much."

So this is more about Grudens disdain of people in general than any specific characteristic of an intersectional class of people. He just happens to be white so anything said negatively about any minority is taken as if it has racial bias involved when in reality he treated everyone the same regardless of skin color.

They also called him a homophobe for calling out Jeff Fisher for drafting Michael Sam because of the public perception of Sam being the first openly gay player. Yet Sam fizzled out in quick order so Grudens judgment on Sam's talent as it relates to the NFL was actually spot on.

With the Raiders, he has the NFL first openly game starter and he has developed into one of of NFL best pass rushers. But neither the end to the Sam saga or his signing of this defensive end matter because they don't fit the context within which the story is being pushed. 

I could write the same type of article as the New York Times explaining why Gruden is not a homophobe using the logic above and it would be far more relevant contextually to the end result than anything they wrote, but people don't care. 

Gruden was removed from the Bucs Ring of Honor while OJ Simpson remains on the Bills, I believe. There is a boatload of hypocrisy going on right now and I'm not the least bit surprised. Did Gruden say nasty things using outdated terms with negative connotations that now make people shudder? Absolutely. Should he have been punished? Yes. Should he have been fired? No.

If Greg Hardy and OJ Simpson get a pass for their transgressions, how can Gruden be dumped as if he literally murdered someone? He was dropped from everything faster than than Pats dropped Aaron Hernandez. This isn't about the truth. It's about building a narrative to fit the end goal. 

I'm all for personal accountability for things people say and do, but I feel as not enough critical thinking over the context is done here. People have trigger words now that automatically label a person and make them a pariah without further explanation or exploration. 

Gruden should have likely been suspended, but none of this happened while an employee of an NFL franchise. The punishment does not fit the crime. I see people on TV feigning anger but deep down you can see the effort to present their emotions through words but their physical reaction does not line up with their words which suggests to me they don't believe what they themselves are saying; and who is driving this story?

Nah man if you’re Carl Nassib or a minority player who feels your coach views you as lesser then you’ll absolutely *never* play hard for them. It’s easy to dismiss this as some fumbling words of an angry man a few years back, but if those fumbling words are racist, sexist and homophobic then I tune that person out as well as plenty of others. When you’re not affected by those words it’s easy to dismiss them but when you are in one of those categories it’s really not. I respect your point of view but I disagree with it. 

• Pie 5

My question is …. Emails are 2 way … someone read it and didn’t report it then … or if they did, it’s was passed over by someone. Where is the anger over Washington’s front office just letting this go.

All jobs in America should be merit based … not the color of your skin

Edited by Panther53521
  • Pie 2

44 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Good, they should release it all.

The NFLexecutives are shady as hell and literally only care about the bottom line. From spygate to concussions to Kaepernick being black balled, the Jerry Richardson’s shenanigans to the WFT investigation. It will never end until these scumbags in power are held accountable.

Not defending NFL execs but facts are important. The ‘leak’ didn’t happen until AFTER the nfl sent a package of Gruden’s emails to the Raiders. 

They could have easily hidden these.

It’s pretty clear the nfl wanted Gruden out and either they or the Raiders leaked them to the press.

4 minutes ago, Panther53521 said:

My question is …. Emails are 2 way … someone read it and didn’t report it then … or if they did, it’s was passed over by someone. Where is the anger over Washington’s front office just letting this go

Well, that front office is long gone.

90% of the people in the NFL — that fans support, love, and pull for — if the fans met these people or got to be around them…pulled back the curtain…if you have a conscious you would dislike. 

these are ultra rich people who have different rules and live in their own world. Most of us can’t relate to them. Look at Jim Irsay. 

Edited by 4Corners
  • Pie 2

38 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Not defending NFL execs but facts are important. The ‘leak’ didn’t happen until AFTER the nfl sent a package of Gruden’s emails to the Raiders. 

They could have easily hidden these.

It’s pretty clear the nfl wanted Gruden out and either they or the Raiders leaked them to the press.

right, which makes the NFL execs look even more shady 

Now they’re covering up god knows what else in the other 650k emails.

No different than Spygate when they destroyed all the tapes.  

• Pie 3