• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper at new HQ

SBBlue

not gonna lie, coming from an industry that's in the throes of renegotiating how its workers are treated (ending "around the clock" expectations for pathetic pay) it kinda irks me hearing stuff like "you guys are really doing something great here, you should be proud of what you're doing for the community, what you're doing will be remembered for twenty years..." blah blah yawn.

people who run enterprises like this are obviously extremely out of touch when they say stuff like this to workers who get nothing material out of the end product. they don't get residuals or shares. it's a job and then they're on to the next one. what matters is that they feel safe, they're paid fairly for their labor, and can provide for their families. they couldn't give less of a fug about legacy. as a currency of the wealthy, legacy only holds value to people who materially benefit from it.

this is a reminder to not bloviate this dumb poo to crew working on my projects unless they're well-enough paid, cared for, and comfortable to jump to whichever part of the maslow hierarchy lets you get excited about the cool poo making big bucks for someone else.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 4
  • Flames 4
  • Poo 17

32 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

My grandfather worked construction.  He'd take me to the buildings he worked on and point out the walls he helped build.  He was proud that he helped build my HS.  And I've never heard that these guys are underpaid.  Some of the more well to do guys in my neighborhood work construction.

What industry are you in that takes advantage of people?

Yea it's actually people like that who are clueless. You can see them clearly caring and getting autographs and poo which isn't something people who couldn't give less of a fug would do. Have had the same thing not just about construction but also electrical engineering and certain system installations that people take pride in contributing to.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

51 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

My grandfather worked construction.  He'd take me to the buildings he worked on and point out the walls he helped build.  He was proud that he helped build my HS.  And I've never heard that these guys are underpaid.  Some of the more well to do guys in my neighborhood work construction.

What industry are you in that takes advantage of people?

if you're middle aged your grandfather worked construction during a much more favorable time to make a median wage. it's likely the buying power of his salary was far higher than the folks working on tepper's project. 

maybe tepper is paying them crazy money! maybe he took the lowest bidder and this is the equivalent of giving your workers a pizza party instead of a raise (which is more often the case than not.) either way i am always skeptical when billionaires tout pride as currency to people who are likely living near the poverty line.

i work in film, which is currently dealing with greedy, out-of-touch studios fighting to keep sixteen-hour days with no turnaround and lower pay scales for streaming productions that are turning record profits, and it's a worn-out trope that producers have crew who are So iNtO tHe PrOjEcT when in reality it's just the third project they've gripped on that year, they don't get residuals, and just want to get more than four hours of sleep per night. as a producer occupying that strata I'm sensitive about falling into that trap and i see how easy it is to get there, particularly when your crew are nice people who won't necessarily complain to your face.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 3

also tepper totally gave the emoji shrug when furloughing countless median income earners during a fuging global pandemic when he could've easily absorbed the negligible cost of keeping his people employed, so i kind of doubt tepper went with the building contractors that charged more for a project so they could pay their laborers better 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 4

35 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i work in film, which is currently dealing with greedy, out-of-touch studios fighting to keep sixteen-hour days with no turnaround and lower pay scales for streaming productions that are turning record profits, and it's a worn-out trope that producers have crew who are So iNtO tHe PrOjEcT when in reality it's just the third project they've gripped on that year, they don't get residuals, and just want to get more than four hours of sleep per night. as a producer occupying that strata I'm sensitive about falling into that trap and i see how easy it is to get there, particularly when your crew are nice people who won't necessarily complain to your face.

Film industry.  Taking advantage of people.   You don't say?

As for whether construction still pays, as I was saying, the biggest house in my neighborhood is owned by a guy who started as a bricklayer and worked his way up.  My son wants to work for him because the pay is good.   There are probably cases where construction workers are mistreated, but it's not the film industry.

Edited by SBBlue

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

Yeah.  I didn't want Tepper originally. I was wrong.  He is certainly investing in this team.

1 hour ago, PhillyB said:

not gonna lie, coming from an industry that's in the throes of renegotiating how its workers are treated (ending "around the clock" expectations for pathetic pay) it kinda irks me hearing stuff like "you guys are really doing something great here, you should be proud of what you're doing for the community, what you're doing will be remembered for twenty years..." blah blah yawn.

people who run enterprises like this are obviously extremely out of touch when they say stuff like this to workers who get nothing material out of the end product. they don't get residuals or shares. it's a job and then they're on to the next one. what matters is that they feel safe, they're paid fairly for their labor, and can provide for their families. they couldn't give less of a fug about legacy. as a currency of the wealthy, legacy only holds value to people who materially benefit from it.

this is a reminder to not bloviate this dumb poo to crew working on my projects unless they're well-enough paid, cared for, and comfortable to jump to whichever part of the maslow hierarchy lets you get excited about the cool poo making big bucks for someone else.

I am still 50/50 on Tepper but he is truly a good man and owner. I have a buddy who’s on the chain crew and he told me this past weekend on the way to the Eagles game that Tepper is so much more interactive with the team unlike Jerry who was never really there. 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

i. as a producer occupying that strata I'm sensitive about falling into that trap and i see how easy it is to get there, particularly when your crew are nice people who won't necessarily complain to your face.

As a producer, aren't you part of the management then, the management that is mistreating the workers?