• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper at new HQ

SBBlue

@PhillyB isn't wrong overall.  And construction doesn't pay poo.  Most of my crews could make more after a couple years at Walmart, with much less injury potential.  I've moved up to office work - estimating to be specific, and do not make average wage in the area I'm in (Raleigh).  Construction is an upgrade from fast food work, but these days that's about it.  While retail wages are increasing, our starting wage has not increased in about 8 years.  We call our competitors on occasion to get an idea of the market, and the feedback we get from others are in line with what we are doing.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

My grandfather worked construction.  He'd take me to the buildings he worked on and point out the walls he helped build.  He was proud that he helped build my HS.  And I've never heard that these guys are underpaid.  Some of the more well to do guys in my neighborhood work construction.

What industry are you in that takes advantage of people?

He works in pretty much the opposite of construction. LOL

• Beer 1

People these days just don't give a fug

I remember listening to my grandfather and my great Uncle's talk when I was a kid and how proud they were about all the different things they were a part of in their life . Most of the things that they were talking about were just different jobs that they did throughout their lives but they were a part of something they accomplished things and they were proud of those things. 

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

@PhillyB isn't wrong overall.  And construction doesn't pay poo.  Most of my crews could make more after a couple years at Walmart, with much less injury potential.  I've moved up to office work - estimating to be specific, and do not make average wage in the area I'm in (Raleigh).  Construction is an upgrade from fast food work, but these days that's about it.  While retail wages are increasing, our starting wage has not increased in about 8 years.  We call our competitors on occasion to get an idea of the market, and the feedback we get from others are in line with what we are doing.

I'm in construction and I make 6 figures.  Maybe you are doing it wrong?

• Pie 3

5 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

Hey thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to talk to my neighbor then.  The wage he was offering my son was nearly twice his current pay.  Maybe locale specific or something.  

1 hour ago, SBBlue said:

My grandfather worked construction.  He'd take me to the buildings he worked on and point out the walls he helped build.  He was proud that he helped build my HS.  And I've never heard that these guys are underpaid.  Some of the more well to do guys in my neighborhood work construction.

What industry are you in that takes advantage of people?

Same here my grandfather was the foreman for one of the biggest tourists attractions in the state(SC) and he is super proud every time we go around the place.

Edited by Killah_Ray
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, SBBlue said:

Hey thanks for the heads up.  I'll have to talk to my neighbor then.  The wage he was offering my son was nearly twice his current pay.  Maybe locale specific or something.  

Depends somewhat on trade.  Generally, masonry, landscaping, framing, walls, painting, glass, flooring do not pay well, especially at entry level.  Electricians, plumbers, HVAC, mechanical trades generally have it a bit better.  And yes, it does depend on market, but Raleigh and Charlotte markets are similar.  It may be a case of it helps to know someone.  I started in the industry as a green helper and was paid a bit more than the average hispanic who may even have some experience.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Killah_Ray said:

Same here my grandfather was the foreman for one of the biggest tourists attractions in the state(SC) and he is super proud every time we go around the place.

I work with a guy who was a part of building Yankee stadium.  His chest puffs up a little bit whenever he talks about it.  Cool stuff.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

not gonna lie, coming from an industry that's in the throes of renegotiating how its workers are treated (ending "around the clock" expectations for pathetic pay) it kinda irks me hearing stuff like "you guys are really doing something great here, you should be proud of what you're doing for the community, what you're doing will be remembered for twenty years..." blah blah yawn.

people who run enterprises like this are obviously extremely out of touch when they say stuff like this to workers who get nothing material out of the end product. they don't get residuals or shares. it's a job and then they're on to the next one. what matters is that they feel safe, they're paid fairly for their labor, and can provide for their families. they couldn't give less of a fug about legacy. as a currency of the wealthy, legacy only holds value to people who materially benefit from it.

this is a reminder to not bloviate this dumb poo to crew working on my projects unless they're well-enough paid, cared for, and comfortable to jump to whichever part of the maslow hierarchy lets you get excited about the cool poo making big bucks for someone else.

Rage against the machine! But onlyif it fits the narrative!

31 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

Tepper checks out how the construction is doing… PhillyB turns thread into a tinderbox thread.🤷🏿

wow calm down

maybe tepper is paying them tons of money and they're all going to buy ferraris after this. either way it's a cogent point to make that our owner - who's already developing as a reputation for being tight on the pursestrings unless he personally benefits - could do better on the optics with these things 

21 minutes ago, SBBlue said:

As a producer, aren't you part of the management then, the management that is mistreating the workers?    

yup, that's why it hits home a little more. i am still a small fish in a big pond as a producer but it's easy to see how quickly you can get sucked into protecting the bottom line and trying to squeeze out margins at the expense of your workers. i am proud that my current project paid union crew rates despite being a non-union gig and shoots never went over 12 hours and i don't consider the pride of working on my stupid movie more valuable than that pay or those working conditions 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Im well versed to speak about construction. There are a lot of misconceptions here so lets have do an example I can speak to.

If my kid came up to me and said "Dad how to I make the most amount of money the fastest?" I would say work as an electrician. Working in a SKILLED trade pays very well from day 1.

For an example, my brother wanted to become an architect. Where Im from thats minimum 8 years university before you graduate. 

Average starting wage for an 18 year old electrician is 40k. 

Average starting wage for a 26 year old architect is 60k

Now you might say, that 20k difference will be caught up on shortly. But your forgetting that the architect has 8 years of not working (cause your paying for school) vs 8 years of working. If both kids are equally ambitious the electrician will specialize in security wiring, data or just start their own company. The architect will need to work for another decade before they have any of those opportunities. 

If both kids are ambitious they can both get rich. The gap between white collar and blue collar AMBITIOUS people is nill. 

• Pie 6