• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper at new HQ

SBBlue

All this talk about how much money people can make in construction... Isn't the median wage like $15-20/hour in NC?  I don't have the experience some of you do in that field... Sure the owners and managers can make more, but I think Philly's points are more about the pattern than possibility for upward mobility for a few.

It's good to take pride in your work. Even better to get paid well for it and take pride in it...

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

@PhillyB isn't wrong overall.  And construction doesn't pay poo.  Most of my crews could make more after a couple years at Walmart, with much less injury potential.  I've moved up to office work - estimating to be specific, and do not make average wage in the area I'm in (Raleigh).  Construction is an upgrade from fast food work, but these days that's about it.  While retail wages are increasing, our starting wage has not increased in about 8 years.  We call our competitors on occasion to get an idea of the market, and the feedback we get from others are in line with what we are doing.

This might be your scenario.  In all honesty sounds like you need to find a better company/job or negotiate better for yourself.  I am also in construction.  While I’m not rich by any means, I’m not living paycheck to paycheck.

Not saying you’re broke or anything by the way..

Edited by Uwontdoit81
  • Beer 2

On 10/15/2021 at 12:51 PM, PhillyB said:

not gonna lie, coming from an industry that's in the throes of renegotiating how its workers are treated (ending "around the clock" expectations for pathetic pay) it kinda irks me hearing stuff like "you guys are really doing something great here, you should be proud of what you're doing for the community, what you're doing will be remembered for twenty years..." blah blah yawn.

people who run enterprises like this are obviously extremely out of touch when they say stuff like this to workers who get nothing material out of the end product. they don't get residuals or shares. it's a job and then they're on to the next one. what matters is that they feel safe, they're paid fairly for their labor, and can provide for their families. they couldn't give less of a fug about legacy. as a currency of the wealthy, legacy only holds value to people who materially benefit from it.

this is a reminder to not bloviate this dumb poo to crew working on my projects unless they're well-enough paid, cared for, and comfortable to jump to whichever part of the maslow hierarchy lets you get excited about the cool poo making big bucks for someone else.

This.

This isn't sincere. Did he show up with a nice fat bonus for everyone? Or did he show up for a photo op? 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, SBBlue said:

you are CLEARLY projecting.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, SBBlue said:

I'm in IT.  I've done my homework.  I'm am seriously considering starting a forum for fans who  don't want just sit and bitch about the offensive line and how we fuged up the draft.

Academy Awards Film GIF by CBS