• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2006 Steve Smith & Hamstring

OceanPanther

It happens.  Even to the best players  and as much as we want CMC back,  he won't be an asset till it heals.  I was really hoping he'd be back this week  but won't be.

This happened to Steve Smith in 2006.  He injured his hamstring the first day of training camp ,  then stained it again Sept 5th of that year. 

Here's the read:

https://www.deseret.com/2006/9/21/19975259/smith-refutes-fake-injury-rumors

• Pie 2

It’s a 17 game season. Just like the coaching staff, we as fans need to adjust our thinking to balance that as well. I doubt we see many players play 100% of the games this year. I expect the NFL franchises to consider the NBA approach of resting players and play conservatively with injuries.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Might just be an anomaly, but it seems like there's a whole lot of them surrounding CMC.

Last year a high ankle sprain, followed by a shoulder injury, followed by a quad strain.

This time, a hammy. 

What's it going to be next time?(and to think there isn't going to be a next time is pretty naive at this point)

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Smitty played 14 games in 2006...played 16 the year before & 15 the year after...

...followed by 14, 15, 14, 16, 16, 15, 16.

Adds up to 9 missed games in 10-seasons.

We just going to ignore that he missed the entire 2004 season due to injury on MNF vs Green Bay?  

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

16 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

They happen and people can get over them. I honestly have no qualms if CMC rests another week. Things can change during the season it’s not like this is end of season push.

I'd rather he sit 5-6 games and come back healthy than try and make it work and then play a game, miss 3 games, play a game, miss 3 games, play a game.....

14 hours ago, rayzor said:

Might just be an anomaly, but it seems like there's a whole lot of them surrounding CMC.

Last year a high ankle sprain, followed by a shoulder injury, followed by a quad strain.

This time, a hammy. 

What's it going to be next time?(and to think there isn't going to be a next time is pretty naive at this point)

Well, that's why a lot of us were concerned about having the highest paid RB in the NFL combined with a very, very, very high usage rate. The history of those two things has not been kind. 

I'll make an odd statement about it......it actually sucks that CMC isn't just above average. Had this just been a Hurney/Gettleman overpay, we could have just cut our losses and jettisoned him already. In a strange way, it's unfortunate that he is arguably the best RB in the NFL and definitively the best dual threat RB in the NFL. His greatness may make us hold on longer than we should if the next couple of seasons are also injury plagued. 

I am not predicting that nor certainly want that, just pointing out that it is a real possibility. 

• Pie 1

17 hours ago, rayzor said:

This time, a hammy. 

He is being used too much.  I said it to the Cam Newton nut huggers back in 2012-17:  Every hit takes its toll.  I said on the Huddle that he was not going to have a long career and Rivera is to blame.  Yes, it was fun when he lowered that shoulder and took on a S or LB, but tick tock...  The nut huggers have never let me know that I was on point---they forgot, I suppose.  No apologies, "you were right", no cards, no flowers.