• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the Darnold Experiment Over?

Castavar

1 hour ago, outlaw4 said:

Too much Jets Darnold but the offense around him are playing at Jets quality. 

Overall, just the former Jet Robby Anderson.  

Collectively, our skill position players have performed well around him on the year IMO.  Especially DJ.  CMC was a beast when healthy.  Chubba IMO is overachieving given the OL and his inexperience.   Everyone catch rate when targeted is solid (again, minus Robbh which is just comically bad). 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Supbro said:

Seriously he’s a work in progress. He’s shown some progress and he’s had issues. Expecting him to play like a franchise QB when this OLine is basically the same he’s had with the Jets the last few years is unreasonable. He played well enough for us to win if there wasn’t a ton of drops by the receivers. Somehow you can’t expect him to continually outperform when he’s put in an unfavorable down and distance after each drop.

Thank you, someone that gets it. 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, mwright350 said:

Meh.  Maybe.  In all likelihood they're going to put a (hopefully better) OL in front of him for that 2nd year, say they failed him this year or w/e, and let him ride out the 5th year though.  

Who knows how that will turn out. 

Assuming his attitude doesn't change and we go through cycles of good and bad performances, I do think we invest in the OL next year (unless a very good QB prospect falls to us in the draft), bring in another backup QB option, and go into his 5th year option saying how much we support him but expecting to draft / find his replacement at the end of the year.  I know that sucks for us as fans in a lot of ways, but I also think it makes more sense than sticking a rookie behind a shitty OL and expecting something different than what we've seen so far.

• Pie 2

We will never know if Darnold would have been rehabilitated by a competent OL in front of him, because we didn't assemble that. It's also unlikely we are able to remedy that completely next offseason. 

What we do know is that even with better weapons and with a "better" offensive scheme, Sam Darnold looks just as bad as he did in New York. 

I think the writing is just simply on the wall for Darnold. He just isn't an NFL caliber starting QB. In reality, that writing was rather evident prior to him signing in Carolina but we were desperate after our better options were unavailable.

What that means for us is less clear. The QB class from college is absolutely dreadful and we have less draft picks than normal. The free agent class may offer some hope but the prices may be extreme. So, although Sam Darnold is very clearly not the future here, we might see him start next year or at least be in a competition for the spot.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

As if it was that easy, there is still 11 games left.

We will be looking at QBs going forward, might not be a better option out there this offseason or have the option of justifying him being here next year ( cough Teddy cough) taken off the table. Dude is a vet next year, he is what he is at this point. He's a moth and not a butterfly at this point. I think Tepper is going to realize he needs to sell tickets and Darnold is unlikely to do that at this point, I expect him to put more pressure than last year to improve that spot though I wouldn't rule out a developmental QB leaving us with another year of what we are facing down again this year.