• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the Darnold Experiment Over?

Castavar

Sam will be Sam. 

we can improve the OL and the results will improve.  Just like there was a bump from him coming to Car from NY and an improved environment. 

But just like Teddy…he is what he is.  He isn’t a great QB.   That’s in his DNA.   And you can put a great OL in front of him and his Sam Darnold moments will still exist….because he has always been that guy.  Here, NY and USC.  

He is Jake minus the great intangibles Jake had early on.  And the intangibles were huge for Jake. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

What is that 12 drops today?

And how many drives or attempted drives were stalled due to drops , Anderson, Moore, Hubbard and a cast of 100’s ..

Sam may have had his 3-4 th bad game in a row, but I can’t help but think of half those drops had been caught , we might have come out of it with at least a fieldgoal .. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Too bad Panthers didn't bring in a veteran backup for Darnold like many here thought we should.

My stance since the season started. I had no idea what we were getting with Sam, but PJ and Grier (before the axe) is straight up amateur hour poo

• Pie 1

Like I said in another thread, he isn't great but isn't terrible. There have been so many drops and Brady loves to abandon the run. If our receivers, more specifically Robby caught passes thrown his way the game would be different. Darnold has been alright today.

First play of the game interception. That's the opposite of great or even alright.

Edited by frankw

Like I said in another thread, he isn't great but isn't terrible. There have been so many drops and Brady loves to abandon the run. If our receivers, more specifically Robby caught passes thrown his way the game would be different. Darnold has been alright today.

Seriously he’s a work in progress. He’s shown some progress and he’s had issues. Expecting him to play like a franchise QB when this OLine is basically the same he’s had with the Jets the last few years is unreasonable. He played well enough for us to win if there wasn’t a ton of drops by the receivers. Somehow you can’t expect him to continually outperform when he’s put in an unfavorable down and distance after each drop.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, rico6 said:

I truly don’t understand how this is even tolerated around here.

The mental gymnastics one must perform to defend this fellow

Sam is Jekyll/Hyde. Some think the light will finally stay on but through the last three games we've seen the exact same Sam Darnold the Jets did for three years. It is madness to expect a miracle. The only rationale would be his age but that is meaningless if it just isn't there upstairs.

Sam did what he used to do with the Jets: overcame awful OL protection and 10 drops by his receivers to put them in a position to win. Then the overrated defense lost the game cause they can't stop a nose bleed. 

Sam did his job. The rest of the team didn't. 

• Pie 2