• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the 2021 Carolina Panthers worse than the 2020 Carolina Panthers?

Zod

Only idiots on message boards and social media are calling for blood. 

We can get by with CMC out OR we can get by with a trash offensive line, but we can't get by with both. When CMC is in, he covers up a lot of flaws, but if we had a line that was at least decent at pass and run blocking, Darnold could be JAG and still score some points even without CMC. 

We've been hit by the injury bug bad this year; it happens. I don't think we're worse, but the setbacks we've had make it seem that way. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Only idiots on message boards and social media are calling for blood. 

We can get by with CMC out OR we can get by with a trash offensive line, but we can't get by with both. When CMC is in, he covers up a lot of flaws, but if we had a line that was at least decent at pass and run blocking, Darnold could be JAG and still score some points even without CMC. 

We've been hit by the injury bug bad this year; it happens. I don't think we're worse, but the setbacks we've had make it seem that way. 

QB is the most important position on the field.  And Sam Darnold is worse than Teddy.  So for that reason, we are worse.  

Clone the teams and pit a Darnold lead version vs a Teddy one.  I'm taking Teddy in a 2 out of 3 series.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Remember how y'all said I was crazy for even considering that Matt Rhule could be on the hot seat before the end of this year? That if he didn't post a better than .500 season things would get dicey for him.

Well, the locals are calling for blood. The team seems to have lost its identity due to a couple of key injuries (we talk about CMC a lot, but we REALLY missed Shaq Thompson out there on Sunday). 

Big, long contract people said. Tepper will give him time people said. It's amazing how many people who said those things are now just fuming.

poo takes time folks, and some things aren't nearly as bad as people think. Heck, my mind has changed and I can see some thing headed in the right direction. I can also see some things going way wrong right now, too.

There's a lot of games left to play this season. It's going to be a bumpy ride, but we're going to come across some teams that have already packed it in, we're going to come across some teams that are more injured than we are. It ain't over yet.

It might get better. It might get worse. But I think Rhule needs to start coaching like his career depended on it. 

It doesn't matter that some fans are calling for blood. Fitt and Tepper are the only ones that can put Rhule on the hot seat. I still think it'll be two more years before that happens too.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

It doesn't matter that some fans are calling for blood. Fitt and Tepper are the only ones that can put Rhule on the hot seat. I still think it'll be two more years before that happens too.

Me, I was always dubious of Rhule, then he came here and I liked what he had to say. Then he gutted the team and got rid of some sacred cows. That hurt. That hurt a lot of fans.

And then he started not remodeling the place, but rebuilding it. But you can only rebuild so much before the season starts. Then you have to teach, repair and compete. He did that last year. Then he got another offseason to restock the shelves again. He also got a GM that was willing to go hunting. He got some new tools, some really good ones. But the rehabilitation wasn't done yet before this season started. Back out into the fight with half a suit of armor and a bent sword.

And we came out winning. Really kicking the asses of the people they lined up for us. After three weeks, though, injuries and tape exposed our weaknesses. It's a pro league, that's how it goes. And somehow, with all the holes we still have in our team, we're competitive in our own way.

Rhule's going to win some more games and he'll have another offseason to build some more. I think that third season will make something that will force its way into the lead of the NFCSouth. Just give the guy some more time. 

He inherited a broken down train with no rails in sight. It's going to take a while to get up to speed and headed in the right direction. And it's going to look hopeless at times. Sometimes, though, you've got to trust the guy with the wrench in his hand and the grease on his face. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

59 minutes ago, CRA said:

QB is the most important position on the field.  And Sam Darnold is worse than Teddy.  So for that reason, we are worse.  

Clone the teams and pit a Darnold lead version vs a Teddy one.  I'm taking Teddy in a 2 out of 3 series.  

People keep saying that QB is the most important position and the Panthers have proven for over a decade that the OL is just as, if not more important.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Me, I was always dubious of Rhule, then he came here and I liked what he had to say. Then he gutted the team and got rid of some sacred cows. That hurt. That hurt a lot of fans.

And then he started not remodeling the place, but rebuilding it. But you can only rebuild so much before the season starts. Then you have to teach, repair and compete. He did that last year. Then he got another offseason to restock the shelves again. He also got a GM that was willing to go hunting. He got some new tools, some really good ones. But the rehabilitation wasn't done yet before this season started. Back out into the fight with half a suit of armor and a bent sword.

And we came out winning. Really kicking the asses of the people they lined up for us. After three weeks, though, injuries and tape exposed our weaknesses. It's a pro league, that's how it goes. And somehow, with all the holes we still have in our team, we're competitive in our own way.

Rhule's going to win some more games and he'll have another offseason to build some more. I think that third season will make something that will force its way into the lead of the NFCSouth. Just give the guy some more time. 

He inherited a broken down train with no rails in sight. It's going to take a while to get up to speed and headed in the right direction. And it's going to look hopeless at times. Sometimes, though, you've got to trust the guy with the wrench in his hand and the grease on his face. 

As I said in another thread, I'm not high on him. But I'm more than willing to see how it plays out too. Taking a page from Rivera's book and reaching out to older and more experienced NFL coaches could be good for him.

• Pie 1

No, overall this is a much more talented team, but it seems that the coaching has regressed, especially on offense.  Also all the injuries we've had have really crippled any progress we may have been making.  The D is much better than last year though.  Much work left to do. 

3 hours ago, HPPantherzfan said:

I'm not going to burn it to the ground yet, we have a lot more talent on defense but we have to remember we are a very young team; on both sides of the ball.  Our O-line might be worse but regardless of what most people are saying we are upgraded at the QB position.  I think expectations got out of hand with the 3-0 start, we need to pull it back in and realize that this team is a work in process, young, inexperienced and learning.  

We’re young on defense, which is obviously our strength. What’s the excuse for the offense. Don’t really have one starter that would be considered “young” 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

As long as those series aren't at near end of the game or require RedZone TDs...

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MilkyCastles said:

We’re young on defense, which is obviously our strength. What’s the excuse for the offense. Don’t really have one starter that would be considered “young” 

I guess young is an objective term but:

Sam Darnold 24

DJ Moore 24

Chubba 22

Tremble 21

Robby Anderson 28 (Maybe getting up there for a receiver)

Terrance Marshall Jr.  21

and the list goes on

We have what 5 -7 Rookies on the offensive side of the ball that most have seen playing time?  Yes the D is young as well we are one of the youngest teams in the NFL

Edit:  In fact according to overthecap, the average age of our Offense and Defense is very close; Offense is 25.41 our Defense is 25.26 

Edited by HPPantherzfan

5 hours ago, Zod said:

Well? Are they? And if they are, what does that say about Matt Rhule and his expected performance?

Hard maybe.

Not sure it says much other than the decision to take a bust QB and put him behind a bottom 5 OL unit was extremely stupid. But, anyone with any sense could have predicted that wouldn't work out.

It was actually pretty mind numbing how many didn't see that portion of our struggles coming.

• Beer 1