• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the 2021 Carolina Panthers worse than the 2020 Carolina Panthers?

Zod

16 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I mean…Justin Houston acknowledged it during joint practices so there is something to the youth aspect.

I believe it would have been nice to keep a couple of key veterans around(perhaps Gilmore is one of those guys) and also to have some more NFL experience on the staff itself. 

It is extremely hard to build a successful NFL organization when very few in the room even have any real idea what that even looks like. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I believe it would have been nice to keep a couple of key veterans around(perhaps Gilmore is one of those guys) and also to have some more NFL experience on the staff itself. 

It is extremely hard to build a successful NFL organization when very few in the room even have any real idea what that even looks like. 

We probably will bring a couple of more vets in this offseason. I believe the Gilmore trade was a step in that direction.

This roster is nowhere near complete.

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

We probably will bring a couple of more vets in this offseason. I believe the Gilmore trade was a step in that direction.

This roster is nowhere near complete.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what we do next offseason. I think the win now mentality will break down over the course of this year and some measure of reality/self-reflection will start popping up. 

The hope is that we put emphasis on correcting the biggest roster weaknesses and perhaps re-evaluating some of the coaching staff. I don't think it would be impossible to see Brady end up being let go if our offensive struggles persist throughout the rest of the year. I can't even say it's all his fault but I suspect Tepper is going to want at least one head on a pike.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what we do next offseason. I think the win now mentality will break down over the course of this year and some measure of reality/self-reflection will start popping up. 

The hope is that we put emphasis on correcting the biggest roster weaknesses and perhaps re-evaluating some of the coaching staff. I don't think it would be impossible to see Brady end up being let go if our offensive struggles persist throughout the rest of the year. I can't even say it's all his fault but I suspect Tepper is going to want at least one head on a pike.

it definitely isn't all his fault.  he isn't throwing interceptions on the first plays of games, nor dropping a historic number of balls.

but his playcalling alternates between amazing and complete fuging garbage, he seems TERRIBLE with adjustments and situational playcalling, and he seems unable to adapt to losing CMC... and I think he is slow in getting the plays in etc... he just doesn't seem to get the tempo of an NFL game yet.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

it definitely isn't all his fault.  he isn't throwing interceptions on the first plays of games, nor dropping a historic number of balls.

but his playcalling alternates between amazing and complete fuging garbage, he seems TERRIBLE with adjustments and situational playcalling, and he seems unable to adapt to losing CMC... and I think he is slow in getting the plays in etc... he just doesn't seem to get the tempo of an NFL game yet.

Yeah, I honestly think this was just a bridge too far for him to jump this early in his career. This might end up being one of those situations where his early failures propel him to later career success. For his sake, I hope so. But, in the meantime, I don't know what we can really do to remedy the issues. The OL is what it is, Darnold is what he is and I don't think Rhule is the guy to step in and take over playcalling duties to alleviate some of the problems. 

The best we can hope for is that they circle the wagons week to week and just kind of start to figure out how to salvage what we have on offense and attack our opponents weaknesses rather than just running our scripts.

These threads are honestly pathetic. Of course Carolina is better this year. 3-3 is right about where the Panthers should be. Honestly, without McCaffrey, it's a solid achievement. It sucks to go from 3-0 to 3-3, but everyone expected 8-9 wins this year. Carolina is on pace for just that. You just got suckered into believing the team was ahead of schedule from the 3-0 start. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

These threads are honestly pathetic. Of course Carolina is better this year. 3-3 is right about where the Panthers should be. Honestly, without McCaffrey, it's a solid achievement. It sucks to go from 3-0 to 3-3, but everyone expected 8-9 wins this year. Carolina is on pace for just that. You just got suckered into believing the team was ahead of schedule from the 3-0 start. 

We got to 3-3 last year too.  And CMC played more this year. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Remember how y'all said I was crazy for even considering that Matt Rhule could be on the hot seat before the end of this year? That if he didn't post a better than .500 season things would get dicey for him.

Well, the locals are calling for blood. The team seems to have lost its identity due to a couple of key injuries (we talk about CMC a lot, but we REALLY missed Shaq Thompson out there on Sunday). 

Big, long contract people said. Tepper will give him time people said. It's amazing how many people who said those things are now just fuming.

poo takes time folks, and some things aren't nearly as bad as people think. Heck, my mind has changed and I can see some thing headed in the right direction. I can also see some things going way wrong right now, too.

There's a lot of games left to play this season. It's going to be a bumpy ride, but we're going to come across some teams that have already packed it in, we're going to come across some teams that are more injured than we are. It ain't over yet.

It might get better. It might get worse. But I think Rhule needs to start coaching like his career depended on it. 

The booing yesterday in the stadium was rough. I agree with it. There seems to be a frantic concern emanating from the sideline. Rhule running in a 12th man against Dallas, the timeout before the half against the Eagles that cost us a first down via penalty, and Sam's two consecutive timeouts yesterday. Tepper seems to be pretty calm; I thought he waited way too long to pull the string on Rivera and Hurney. Afterall, I'm pretty sure he didn't become a billionaire by being hyperbolic. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, HPPantherzfan said:

I guess young is an objective term but:

Sam Darnold 24

DJ Moore 24

Chubba 22

Tremble 21

Robby Anderson 28 (Maybe getting up there for a receiver)

Terrance Marshall Jr.  21

and the list goes on

We have what 5 -7 Rookies on the offensive side of the ball that most have seen playing time?  Yes the D is young as well we are one of the youngest teams in the NFL

Edit:  In fact according to overthecap, the average age of our Offense and Defense is very close; Offense is 25.41 our Defense is 25.26 

There’s youth in age and youth in experience. Obviously no one would consider DJ young in terms of NFL experience. Sam’s had enough time in the NFL to not be considered young. And obviously not a single starting O lineman would be considered young by either standard. Point being, the guys that matter on offense don’t need a season of play in the NFL to get acclimated to the pace, or physically conditioned like actual rookies. The only current contributor I would consider inexperienced is Chubba. I guess what I’m getting at is there isn’t a learning curve excuse, especially for the O line- those dudes are performing at the highest level they are capable of, which absolutely sucks 

and then compared to the D where we have difference makers that are young in both aspects- JC, Brown, Chinn.