• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule says the Panthers offense is about to have a "vastly different look," redefined with more of an emphasis on the run game.

SgtJoo

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, it sounds good in theory but cold calling people you have absolutely no relationship with at all is sort of the definition of a panic move. If he feels the need to do it and it will help, by all means do so. But I think typically those kind interactions are with mentors or peers you have an established relationship with and even more so, trust their opinions and criticisms. 

I meant it as something he should have done during the offseason or when he was first hired.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

yeah, it boggles my mind that people think an OC is suppose to be able to successfully scheme around a horrible OL and weak QB paired together with any type of consistency.   Basic plays are not even available.  4th and 1 and Joe Brady is forced to be creative.   He can't just call a run.   The OL is too weak.  

NFL is a talent driven league.  You give a coordinator slop on the line he is going to struggle.  You then double down and put slop behind the line? They are doomed. 

We got Sean McDermott because the Eagles scapegoated him.  The Eagles got rid of their defensive talent.  So they sucked.  McDermott took the blame.   He wasn't a bad OC.  Football gods demand a sacrifice.  He wasn't bad but you can't scheme around not having basic talent.    And when you gave him talent on the line? Well, we saw the result of that.  It's how you go from horrible to awesome.

I still don't see how you can give Joe Brady this OL and then think it is a play calling problem.     He is forced into creative smoke and mirrors at all times.  You are going to look bad when your talent forces creativity to get a yard. 

We have shown time and time again in 2020 and 2021 that we cannot make those short yardage plays because of that awful OL. Even CMC has been stuffed in those scenarios for us. This is not an offense set up to succeed, it is set up to fail. 

If we had a decent OL last season, Teddy is still probably our QB(shudder to think it but it's likely true) because he could be a marginally capable game managing QB that just simply doesn't lose us games. 

Instead, we opted for the bottom tier gunslinger and put AN EVEN WORSE OL in front of him and then ask Brady to just make do with what we have. Unreal. We assemble the worst OL/QB combination in the NFL and believe that will just suddenly work out.

That said, Brady isn't above reproach. He does struggle with some situational playcalling and there are obvious times where he gets too cute or ignores some basic football 101 concepts. He's learning too.

I would like to at least see how he performs with a competent OL and starting caliber NFL QB.

5 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I meant it as something he should have done during the offseason or when he was first hired.

Yeah, and he may not have thought he needed it or might not be close enough with people to help him out. I believe he has referenced Tom Coughlin at some point(his head coach when he was with the Giants in 2012) so perhaps he picks his brain on occasion. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

and Brady might be horrible.  He might be great.  Odds are he likely gets scrapegoated before we every find out the truth on that though. 

I doubt Matt Rhule fires Joe Brady.  I mean, yeah, Rhule has went back on his word to the media before, but he seems like someone (right or wrong) that values continuity among the coaching staff.

But I do agree with you.  Brady has his issues, but by and large most of the problems with the offense are personnel-related.  We don't have the OL to call deep throws.  We don't have the OL to consistently run the ball.  I'm still more positive about Darnold than most around here, but at the end of the day, he's not great.  He can't bail out a bad offense or OL.  Then you have receiving group that we might have overrated going into the season.  Moore is a stud, but on Sunday he was the only receiver who got any separation all day (I was at the game and had a good view of the whole game, nobody was consistently getting any separation other than him).  

I think people should relax though.  Are these losses frustrating, hell yes.  But we couldn't fix everything in 2 offseasons, especially with different GMs.  It is easy to say the Panthers could have drafted Rashawn Slater in the 1st, and there is a good argument for that, but I think it ignores the fact how big of an issue we had at CB.  Donte Jackson was seen as an inconsistent CB coming off an injury, going into a contract year, and most didn't think he had it in him to be a #1 guy.  No way we could have foreseen acquiring Henderson or Gilmore.  At some point we were going to have to draft a CB, just like we would have a LT.  

I'm still very optimistic about this organizations future.  We turned the defense around.  Now we just need to turn the offense around.  If in Year 3, it still looks like this, I will be the first to admit I was wrong.  But we can't grab the pitchforks and try and run our coaches out of time.  Rhule was handed a bare cupboard when he started here.  There is only so much you can improve.

Carroll's first 2 years in Seattle were 7-9 seasons and mired by bad decisions at QB, and they got lucky Russ fell to them.  I'm not saying Rhule will turn it around like Carroll did, but sh*t happens.  The FO in my opinion has earned enough trust for Year 3.  Now maybe if we start getting absolutely slammed then yeah maybe I'll backtrack, but these have been, unfortunately, close losses.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, and he may not have thought he needed it or might not be close enough with people to help him out. I believe he has referenced Tom Coughlin at some point(his head coach when he was with the Giants in 2012) so perhaps he picks his brain on occasion. 

https://theriotreport.com/earning-the-right-to-win-what-matt-rhule-can-learn-from-mentor-tom-coughlin/

Just now, ReturnOfTheCam said:

A vastly different look would be Cam in, Darnold out .. Cam can still run, 12 TD rushing last season .. vintage Cam 

The Cam ship has sailed and it seems clear Cam just isn't the player he was here. Not to mention, I don't particularly want to see one of our franchises best players come back and get battered and fuging bruised behind this OL. That's not a triumphant return, it's just sad.

• Pie 3

23 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

You did see what we did to the roster after 2019, right? I don't know that I have ever seen a more clear definition of "rebuilding" in professional sports.

I did see that. And then for the last two off seasons we have done nothing to address our QB or OL situation. We signed a WR to a terrible contract and all those resources that went into defense are translating to losing.  So “rebuilding” is a scapegoat word for losing.  

This thread, lol. Sounds like Rhule really leaked our game plan. Everyone knows now what we are gonna do… smdh.

1. we are not throwing 40x a game

2. we are not gonna turn the ball over

3. We are gonna protect the quarterback

man, if other teams figure out the above… our season is over…. /s

We're not going to line up and drop back and throw it 40 times a game and think that's going to win the game for us. It hasn't. There's no (Christian) McCaffrey. Well, Chuba (Hubbard) 's showing us that he can run the football at a high level when given enough opportunities. We're gonna redefine who we are, and we're gonna run the football, and we're gonna protect our quarterback, and we're not gonna turn the ball over anymore. That's the only way that we're gonna win.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Poo 1