• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule says the Panthers offense is about to have a "vastly different look," redefined with more of an emphasis on the run game.

SgtJoo

2 hours ago, Monrowed said:

I was listening to Kyle Bailey this afternoon and he had Smitty on. Smitty said that he was in the owner’s suite with Tepper yesterday around the same time that they took that picture with him. Today during the interview he was saying nearly the exact same thing that Matt Rhule was saying today. He said that the span there should not be passing the ball as much and should run more than they are. This would help the defense and Sam Darnold at the same time. Me thinks that Matt Rhules awakening may have been influenced somewhat by Tepper and some of the conversations that were had during the game in that owners suite.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-kyle-bailey-show-podcast/playlists/podcast/embed?style=cover

If that's legit, then the gauntlet has been thrown down by Tepper :  Shape Up or be shipped out.

11 minutes ago, Monrowed said:

I think that they are going to have no other choice. It may allow for a few successful deep passes if they can get the running game going and get the safeties to move down. Who knows, but the Panthers definitely need to balance it a bit more.

I think Rhule is a big running guy and after letting Brady do it his way, Rhule is helping him make some tweaks. I wonder if Brady likes that or not...

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't know, he ran pretty well yesterday when he had to.  I wouldn't sell him short on running the ball occasionally. 

yeah I never understood the crappy attitude toward his ability to run.

Sure he's not Prime-Cam but who is?

But he CAN run and he's Effective in doing so (his 5 Rushing TDs attest to that) and he's faster than he looks.

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheCam said:

I have it on good authority Cam will be a Panther again soon, this week

I have it on good authority that you're on my ignore list.   

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Based on his running in the redzone and on broken plays you could make a case that he might be able to pull it off.

He is a real athlete and doesn't look derpy running the ball ever that I've seen. I can't attest to the ball handling skills like that or the RBs as it seems they all just were traditional backs but we have done a few option plays.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

yeah I never understood the crappy attitude toward his ability to run.

Sure he's not Prime-Cam but who is?

But he CAN run and he's Effective in doing so (his 5 Rushing TDs attest to that) and he's faster than he looks.

Sam’s best play on Sunday was that long run in the 4th.  

Given the OL inefficiencies.  I think we should run Sam more.   Probably should work Shi and DJ in a little with some end arounds, pop passes, etc. 

but I don’t like Sam’s natural tendency of holding the ball while he runs. He one hands it and leaves it hanging out there too much .  Needs to tuck it in sooner for my liking. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

He is a real athlete and doesn't look derpy running the ball ever that I've seen. I can't attest to the ball handling skills like that or the RBs as it seems they all just were traditional backs but we have done a few option plays.

He was a linebacker in college, he straight laid out some guys running for the Jets. Knows how to lower his left shoulder for 1st down/goal line situations. It probably helps his confidence and adds a wrinkle for the opposing D to account for. Actually could have ran on that first drive, had like 5 seconds and maybe one guy in front of him

• Pie 1

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

He was a linebacker in college, he straight laid out some guys running for the Jets. Knows how to lower his left shoulder for 1st down/goal line situations. It probably helps his confidence and adds a wrinkle for the opposing D to account for. Actually could have ran on that first drive, had like 5 seconds and maybe one guy in front of him

One of my biggest critiques really is that I'd wish he took off even more. Hell man if that one read ain't there and the pressure is coming just go until they come out of that man coverage and back into a zone. They been playing up on our WRs not really scared at all with a S over the top of DJ and solitary confinement on the rest of our WRs.

• Beer 2

I didn't read this thread, so sorry if this is redundant. Why would Rhule make an announcement that we are changing our offense to run the ball more. Wouldn't that be alerting our opponents to our plans? Wouldn't it be better if they didn't know that?

This is pretty much the death nail for Sam imo. It's basically admitting that he can run the offense, and even Teddy could run the offense.

• Beer 1

It's sad that I have been missing Teddy and his accurate on time passes in our system. Even under duress Teddy had a knack for getting the ball out. Teddy is a lower tier QB who would have never led this team to the SB, but still Sam is making me miss Teddy. People crapped on Teddy for not going deep, but when Sam goes deep it's like closed his eyes and chucked to nowhere.

Just now, pantherj said:

It's sad that I have been missing Teddy and his accurate on time passes in our system. Even under duress Teddy had a knack for getting the ball out. Teddy is a lower tier QB who would have never led this team to the SB, but still Sam is making me miss Teddy. People crapped on Teddy for not going deep, but when Sam goes deep it's like closed his eyes and chucked to nowhere.

What you don't miss is the redzone flops though

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, pantherj said:

I didn't read this thread, so sorry if this is redundant. Why would Rhule make an announcement that we are changing our offense to run the ball more. Wouldn't that be alerting our opponents to our plans? Wouldn't it be better if they didn't know that?

This is pretty much the death nail for Sam imo. It's basically admitting that he can run the offense, and even Teddy could run the offense.

It's pretty dumb, but our run game was working and we just stopped doing it in the 2nd quarter when it was a 2 point game. I think most teams try to run and keep doing it til it's not working. They aren't telling people exactly who is going to run where on the field but it's also obvious running outside is our strongest option. It can at least get teams out of man coverage instead of Brady beating a dead horse 

I agree with running the ball. Have to limit amount of mistakes. Lost the Eagles game with the 3 interceptions from Darnold. Then Vikings turned it over inside territory twice.

Defense is good enough to shut down Giants offense without Barkley and Goliday playing. Offense has to sustain drives and give defense long field to work with. 

Just now, Fox007 said:

What you don't miss is the redzone flops though

Yeah Teddy was a beast with horizontal offense, but that gets clogged up in the redzone. Teddy needed a monster to toss the ball up to high in the endzone, or something, but our receivers were too small. Still if you went man on us Teddy would just eat you up with DJ and company at mid-field. We were dead in the water once we got to the redzone.