• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule says the Panthers offense is about to have a "vastly different look," redefined with more of an emphasis on the run game.

SgtJoo

59 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't know about happy. I can definitely see it as a possibility and I can understand how you can get there. You can't expect a team with a bottom 5 OL(being very generous) and the worst starting QB in the NFL over the last 3+ seasons to have a tremendous amount of success. The shock would be if that didn't happen. 

So, those mistakes being what they are, what does the rest of the team look like after 17 games? Do we clearly have a defense that is capable of being a top 10 unit? Do we have enough weapons on offense to be potent with a better OL and competent QB? Is CMC going to be part of the future of the franchise(injuries, etc)? If we get a lot of affirmative answers to those questions, I will probably chalk the bulk of our issues up to the obvious.....our OL and QB are complete trash.

Now, if the problem appears to be more and more coaching related(which is possible), then I will be very, very concerned. Similarly, if it looks like the first three games were the outlier and we are a very bad overall team(defense, CMC, offensive weapons, draft picks, etc), then it is time to panic.

If we only win 3 games the rest of the year (NYG, WFT and MIA) I think you’d have to say that something is wrong.  

1 hour ago, Wanderlai said:

6 games in and the leader presses the panic button. Yep this is going real nice. 

Charlatan GIF by de chinezen

What do people want him to do?

This same forum would be criticizing him endlessly if he was like Rivera and Fox and was essentially saying, "it is what it is."  

Now it is a problem when the HC says there will be drastic changes in our approach?

What the hell do some of you want?

If you dislike Matt Rhule, fine.  But can you just admit that there is nothing any HC can say in a press-conference following a loss that will satisfy any of you?  Ya'll hate when head coaches toe the line and say they won't be making changes.  Ya'll hate when head coaches are upfront and say they will be making changes.  Some of you put way too much stock into press conferences.  THEY DO NOT MATTER. They are for the media.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, CarolinaLivin said:

Being happy and being realistic about a team that just came out of its 1st year in a rebuild are two different things bro. 

TBH I’m sick of the word “rebuilding.” Teams in the NFL shouldn’t ever be rebuilding their entire roster at one time. The talent pool in the league isn’t so shallow that you should have to be in some full on rebuilding project for 5 years like Tepper has said. If you have the right GM, scouts, coaching staff then you can be a bottom dweller one year and in the super bowl two years later (see 01 to 03 panthers).

It seems like we are trying to do something like a college rebuild. Rebuilding is just code word for “losing” in professional sports. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

If we only win 3 games the rest of the year (NYG, WFT and MIA) I think you’d have to say that something is wrong.  

We already can see after six games a lot of the things that are wrong, the question will be are there more issues than the obvious ones?

If we just need an NFL caliber OL and an average quality NFL starter(these are the most glaringly obvious problems), then there is no reason to really panic after a 6 win year. Those are reasonable problems to fix. If the problem clearly is the coaches, that's a far tougher problem to fix. Same with larger roster issues. All that makes the prospect of rebuilding longer and longer. 

3 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If his list is smaller, it should be since he hasn't coached much in the NFL. Still, it couldn't hurt to just call someone up and ask for advice, could it?

I mean, it sounds good in theory but cold calling people you have absolutely no relationship with at all is sort of the definition of a panic move. If he feels the need to do it and it will help, by all means do so. But I think typically those kind interactions are with mentors or peers you have an established relationship with and even more so, trust their opinions and criticisms. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

TBH I’m sick of the word “rebuilding.” Teams in the NFL shouldn’t ever be rebuilding their entire roster at one time. The talent pool in the league isn’t so shallow that you should have to be in some full on rebuilding project for 5 years like Tepper has said. If you have the right GM, scouts, coaching staff then you can be a bottom dweller one year and in the super bowl two years later (see 01 to 03 panthers).

It seems like we are trying to do something like a college rebuild. Rebuilding is just code word for “losing” in professional sports. 

You did see what we did to the roster after 2019, right? I don't know that I have ever seen a more clear definition of "rebuilding" in professional sports.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

Well a proper rebuild would take at least 2-3 years. But you have to add in bad planning, bad draft picks, bad hires of front office personnel... that stuff pushes rebuilds back. IMO rebuilds restart when a new coaching staff comes in. Because you now possibly have a new plan in place. You have a new guy that may like things completely different. Sometimes its good for a franchise and sometimes its bad. Sometimes its a problem with ownership, if they keep hiring the wrong guys. 

not saying this is what we're going through lol just saying...

Edited by CarolinaLivin

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Like I said last week I really don't give a poo what any of these people say in their press conferences. The product on the field gets worse every week and I'm just tired of watching it....

Yep.  And the atmosphere at the stadium shows it 

The boos that quickly rained down on Darnold’s head with those two timeouts….this isn’t going to end well

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, for all the grief Brady gets for some of the "WTF" play calls, we don't have the luxury of running simple plays that most teams could execute with reasonable success rates.

yeah, it boggles my mind that people think an OC is suppose to be able to successfully scheme around a horrible OL and weak QB paired together with any type of consistency.   Basic plays are not even available.  4th and 1 and Joe Brady is forced to be creative.   He can't just call a run.   The OL is too weak.  

NFL is a talent driven league.  You give a coordinator slop on the line he is going to struggle.  You then double down and put slop behind the line? They are doomed. 

We got Sean McDermott because the Eagles scapegoated him.  The Eagles got rid of their defensive talent.  So they sucked.  McDermott took the blame.   He wasn't a bad DC.  Football gods demand a sacrifice.  He wasn't bad but you can't scheme around not having basic talent.    And when you gave him talent on the line? Well, we saw the result of that.  It's how you go from horrible to awesome.

I still don't see how you can give Joe Brady this OL and then think it is a play calling problem.     He is forced into creative smoke and mirrors at all times.  You are going to look bad when your talent forces creativity to get a yard. 

and Brady might be horrible.  He might be great.  Odds are he likely gets scrapegoated before we every find out the truth on that though. 

• Beer 3