• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith said the reason for the drops was cause they were hospital balls, Chris Simms also eluded to it.

GoobyPls

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Brady is getting the blame but the repetitive plays are either because of the O line or to make things easier for Darnold.

I think that is why you are hearing Rhule say we are focusing on the running game more. They all know Darnold can't be trusted to pass that many times in a game.

9 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

This is a big big concern  Said defenses know our plays. Rhule was frustrated with the play calling and has said there will be major changes.

The Vikings CBs were definitely running the routes for our WRs yesterday.

My biggest concern, and I think why Rhule said that there will be major changes to play calling and more of a focus on running the ball, is that the Oline simply can't hold up in the passing game.

Every time it's an obvious passing situation I'm terrified for our QB. 

• Pie 1

Just now, OldhamA said:

The Vikings CBs were definitely running the routes for our WRs yesterday.

My biggest concern, and I think why Rhule said that there will be major changes to play calling and more of a focus on running the ball, is that the Oline simply can't hold up in the passing game.

Every time it's an obvious passing situation I'm terrified for our QB. 

Don’t forget that the vikes knew when we were running a play action. It seems like every team is in our backfield when we call a play action rollout. There is something that Brady is doing that defense can see and read. I’m thinking opposing teams already know his tendencies now that they have almost 1.5 seasons worth of tape on him.

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am wondering if this is because we can't run our playbook because CMC is out or because we can't trust Darnold or because we can't trust the OL. 

I wonder if that has changed from the first three games to the last three games?

CMC missed a lot of time last year too. The OL pretty much sucked last year too. Granted, I think it's worse this year but it wasn't a strength last year.

That leaves...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The rage posts are cute but the simple fact of the matter is if our playcalling does not get better and Sam does not get on the same page with his receivers we are going nowhere. Yes receivers like Robby with the drops need to do much better but it's a two way street Sam also has to put his own offense in position to succeed. The ball is still in his hands no matter who else we may want to lay blame on. The excuses are getting toxic and frankly pathetic.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Don’t forget that the vikes knew when we were running a play action. It seems like every team is in our backfield when we call a play action rollout. There is something that Brady is doing that defense can see and read. I’m thinking opposing teams already know his tendencies now that they have almost 1.5 seasons worth of tape on him.

My nickname for Joe Brady is Charlie Bucket.

He lucked into a golden ticket (Payton's playbook). So far he's been smart enough to parlay that into an NFL OC gig - but darn he needs to adjust what he's doing quickly because the NFL is starting to chew him up and is ready to spit him out. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

CMC missed a lot of time last year too. The OL pretty much sucked last year too. Granted, I think it's worse this year but it wasn't a strength last year.

That leaves...

Yeah....I mean.....I think Rhule's comments basically tell the story. He was critical of Darnold and then says we need to run focus on running the ball more. That kind of tells the story. 

In our first three games he attempted 107 passes, in the last three games he attempted 117 passes. The disparity hasn't been large. 

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Another bullshit take.  The routes are designed by the so called wonder boy in the booth so now the qb has to avoid the throw because it could get the wr hurt? So what is the qb and wrs supposed to do when the play comes into the huddle? Say to hell with that one give me something else? Are they supposed to throw those plays our of the play book?  No, it's just excuses for the shitty play of the receivers.

There are always passes that can get the WRs hurt because we don’t know what the defense is running. It’s up to the QB to process what’s happening and throw his guy open or make the next read. It’s up to the OC to make adjustments if there isn’t anything there. We are failing at both.

24 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Darnold can technically make all the throws. He just struggles with processing and timing it looks like.

IMO, that is why he has been such a dramatic failure. The physical skills are obvious.

this is why i’d like to give him some more time, to see if he has a processing ceiling or if he just needs some experience with the system. maybe they tried to give him too much responsibility after just one off season.

the limited/predictable play calling and change in offense seem to be tied to taking responsibility off of Sam. that’s a good sign for Rhule, as he is adjusting to what he has, and a potential problem for Sam. if he manages to catch on with more time and the playbook opens up again, great. if his capacity to process in live play tops out at meh, then we keep looking. 

he’s only has 6 games in the system, so it’s too early to say where is ceiling is. it’s also clear to see why the staff brought him in. he can make the throws, and they saw that. what they can’t know until they have time with him is if he can improve on the mental aspect.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mother Grabber said:

he’s only has 6 games in the system, so it’s too early to say where is ceiling is. it’s also clear to see why the staff brought him in. he can make the throws, and they saw that. what they can’t know until they have time with him is if he can improve on the mental aspect.

We have no deep passing game. Some of that is on the oline and Brady. But the rest is on Sam for sailing passes over receivers or out of bounds. Arm talent was supposed to be the plus in acquiring him so we could flip the switch from Teddy. Defenses know about this limitation and have adjusted.

2 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

this is why i’d like to give him some more time, to see if he has a processing ceiling or if he just needs some experience with the system. maybe they tried to give him too much responsibility after just one off season.

the limited/predictable play calling and change in offense seem to be tied to taking responsibility off of Sam. that’s a good sign for Rhule, as he is adjusting to what he has, and a potential problem for Sam. if he manages to catch on with more time and the playbook opens up again, great. if his capacity to process in live play tops out at meh, then we keep looking. 

I mean....we are 3+ years into a career. If you haven't gotten it by now, it isn't likely to happen at all. 

I understand how a portion of our fans thought prior to the season that he had some promise, because even now his talent is obvious. But.....this league is littered from end to end with very talented players that just didn't have "it." Sam Darnold absolutely does not have "it." 

But, don't take my word for it, just watch the remaining games he plays this year. We set him up to fail(bad OL, poor playcalling) but he hasn't helped himself one bit. He's taken a bad situation and made it even worse.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

There are always passes that can get the WRs hurt because we don’t know what the defense is running. It’s up to the QB to process what’s happening and throw his guy open or make the next read. It’s up to the OC to make adjustments if there isn’t anything there. We are failing at both.

Football is a tough sport where players get hurt all the time. It's a bullshit excuse and expecting a qb to determine after the snap in 2 seconds to determine if the route is going to get the wr hurt if he throws to him.  On top of that he has to check every route to make sure the next guy isn't going to get clocked as well.

It is complete and utter horse poo to suggest it is somehow the qbs job to protect the wr on every play.

What is not bullshit is expecting the receiver to catch the ball when it hits them in the hands.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1