• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bridgewater(2020) vs. Darnold(2021) through 6 games.

kungfoodude

12 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If we go to PJ, we should just release Sam. PJ has never shown anything to be a consistent starter including his preseason work. He’s just not that good IMHO. He’s not a future answer so why bother unless you are dumping Sam and going for the tank.

Do people actually think PJ is the guy to get us to the playoffs? I mean for the pure poo show I can’t not watch, I hope we go PJ for the rest of the year. I mean it would be fun to see him with this OL against the better teams in our second half schedule. I’d love to read the articles on how we burned Sam’s psyche that we’ll be wasting $18M on him next year and we’ll finally go 1st round QB in a not as good QB class, again ignoring OL. I mean it sets up as a train wreck so what the hell. Let’s go for it. 

Yet you could of always said they same thing about Sam though…

thats the rub.  Going to PJ isn’t actually a tank move.  It’s more of a lateral move.  

There is a reason we skunked the Lions 20-0.   We have played a lot of bad teams of late….and yet never pulled off a game like that.  PJ isn’t going to come in and prevent us from having a shot at any team we wouldn’t have with Sam.  

Ever since Cam’s injury…every QB is of the same tier we have watched play here.   Different strengths and weaknesses.   But all the same tier.  Draft status years ago….is being used to argue somehow Sam is different.

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

It’s 2021 and people are still making excuses for Darnold lol

He will never be a franchise QB just accept it. Even under perfect circumstances he’s still a mediocre QB. Him and Teddy are two peas in a pot.

Peas go in a pod, just saying. 

Once you guys finally accept that no QB is going to be consistent behind this OL the better. 

We have not used a 1st round pick on the OL since 2008, it is well past time, IDC if we spend the next 2 1sts on OL, this poo is beyond old. 

Everyone keeps saying Teddy's problem was not going deep but forgets that he threw the coaches under the bus and was 0-8 in opportunities to lead a game tying or winning drive in the 4th...

Darnold is probably not the answer here, but we really set him up for failure with this OL.  We will see how he responds the rest of the season because I don't think he's going anywhere.  

The real question will be which retread we bring in next...

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Peas go in a pod, just saying. 

Once you guys finally accept that no QB is going to be consistent behind this OL the better. 

We have not used a 1st round pick on the OL since 2008, it is well past time, IDC if we spend the next 2 1sts on OL, this poo is beyond old. 

That’s a lie, a good QB would be 5-1 right now. We have a QB that throws with no anticipation of course the line is going to look worse.

• Pie 1

Darnold was an experiment...a gambled 2nd rounder on a QB that has upside.  Was always going to be a longshot, and still is...but better to know you made a mistake with Teddy and move on...he wasn't going to be the guy.

Looks like Sam may not either, but if they are being honest and treating him like a rookie....well...what we are seeing is pretty close to rook QB play in the NFL.

As I have stated for months now, Sam was never thought of as "the guy", he was looked at as "possibly the guy"....they still want a top flight QB here, and unless I'm pretty mistaken, we will go after another one hard once again during the offseason.

Rodgers, Watson, Wilson...not saying we get them, but I'd bet a LOT that we will try like hell.

• Pie 3

Just now, GoobyPls said:

That’s a lie, a good QB would be 5-1 right now. We have a QB that throws with no anticipation of course the line is going to look worse.

I just had this same conversation last night, not in the mood. Fine lets waste a 1st on a QB that is doomed before he is ever drafted. 

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

I'm not really sure of that.  Maybe 4-2, if they're decently mobile. Unless you're talking about getting a QB like prime Cam back.  The OL is awful and D has trouble getting stops in the 2nd half.  Play calling on O is bad.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Darnold’s drive to tie the game was more impressive than any of Teddy’s comeback attempts that failed. No idea if Darnold can be that consistent guy although it would be nice to have a functional OL to see.

I agree that his 4th quarter was impressive and if we win that coin toss I think we win that game.  

Darnold hasn't ever been consistent for more than 3 or so games is the problem... That is his pattern.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

I just had this same conversation last night, not in the mood. Fine lets waste a 1st on a QB that is doomed before he is ever drafted. 

Yes let’s draft a rookie QB like basically every other successful franchise. 

Almost it’s every rookie will take their lumps, Herbert and Burrow had horrible lines last year, that didn’t deter them.

Just now, GoobyPls said:

Yes let’s draft a rookie QB like basically every other successful franchise. 

Almost it’s every rookie will take their lumps, Herbert and Burrow had horrible lines last year, that didn’t deter them.

Burrow got destroyed last year and the Bengals are lucky he has returned to form.

Herbert is an outlier.

Neither of them had Joe Brady as their OC

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I honestly felt we hadn't seen worse QB play in our franchise history over a sustained period of time because Teddy was so conservative overall, combined with his clutch mistakes, and losing whatever it was, 8 or 9 games on the last drive.  But, then along came Sam...  I figured as long as we got a guy that was somewhat accurate and willing to go downfield, we would win several more games.  And here we are now with Sam having a lower yards per attempt than even Captain of the Checkdown Teddy.  

I will also say, as the year went on, Teddy did get worse and mistakes more obvious than early in the season, Sam has just got the jump on him because he's been doing it here and there for weeks already and is generally costing us games before we get to the 4th.

But, now with hindsight and more perspective 6 weeks into this season, two things are clear - a lot of Teddy's problems were Brady being a horrible coordinator, and two, Sam is indeed a horrible QB.

I said it in the gamethread Sunday, but if they want to salvage anything from this season, they are better off going ahead and starting PJ before we get too upside down on our record.

God these comments....:

• 2001 - Weinke (15 games), Lytle (1 game)
  • 2002 - Peete (14 games), Fasani (1 [0QB rating] game), Weinke (1 game)
  • 2007 -[the corpse of] Testaverde (6 games), Carr (4 games), Moore (3 games), Delhomme (3 games)
  • 2009 - [the corpse of] Delhomme (11 games),Moore (5 games)
  • 2010 - Clausen (10 games), Moore (5 games), St Pierre (1 game)
  • 2019 - Allen (12 games), [the corpse of] Newton (2 games), Grier (2 games).   
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1