• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big picture...

musicman

I appreciate this post a lot. I was only able to halfway watch the game this past Sunday because we are getting ready to move, but what I was able to catch, was not great. 

But I'm honestly not hitting the panic button just yet. There have been a ton of injuries. We are really young. Hell, Haason Reddick said he didn't expect the D to play as good as they have so far.

I'm really not worried yet. I expected us to go 3 and out on the last drive of the game. Instead we marched down the field and scored. That was pleasantly surprising and something we didn't see happen once out of 8 chances last year. 

Do I think Sam Darnold is the answer? I don't know. I'm leaning no just like I've been leaning no since we made the move for him. He's regressing to old bad habits again, but then again, our O-Line is worse than the Jets O-Line has been and the receivers have not been helping him. Also CMC is out. 

Then again, he hasn't looked so putrid that he isn't redeemable as a prospect. He really is a frustrating QB to have on your team. By all accounts he puts in the work, he's a good dude, well liked and he shows flashes of elite levels of talent, then turns around and throws a ball directly at a defender for an easy pick. I would put the blame on his footwork above all else because that has regressed terribly these past few weeks with all the line shake ups. 

Anyway, there's still hope that we can turn it around, and even if we don't, I didn't have the highest expectations this season anyway. 

• Pie 4

7 minutes ago, musicman said:

I didn't say they were a few players away. Too many new and young players in a  new system expected to win right a way? When ever you start over, you have to give it time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most times it's injuries that change the fortunes of a team. If Cam never hurt his shoulder, I wonder where we would have been the last few years. Major changes in 2 years during Covid protocols. Everybody wants to win and say they follow a winner. Hopefully we'll get out turn in the near future. 

The coach turns over the roster every year with new young players and jettisons all non-Temple veterans. That in itself buys him time as a "look how young our team is" excuse works on fans, but when the actual, tangible results are just more abject failure, it's time to consider cutting bait and realizing that he was a bigger mistake than Bridgewater or Darnold.

As bad as the last two losses have looked, we have more team positives than team negatives, IMO.

I said as much after the Philly loss. The talent on this team is undeniable and when you have a guy like Taylor step in and play well and then a guy like Luvu play like a monster, it just shows how much better this roster is getting. 

For QB and OL, there isn't much if any hope but the roster holes are pretty limited after that. It won't be in 2021 and probably not 2022 but this team has the makings of a serious contender.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The coach turns over the roster every year with new young players and jettisons all non-Temple veterans. That in itself buys him time as a "look how young our team is" excuse works on fans, but when the actual, tangible results are just more abject failure, it's time to consider cutting bait and realizing that he was a bigger mistake than Bridgewater or Darnold.

Tell me, which veterans that were "jettisoned" should we have kept? The highest volume influx of new talent to change a team comes via the draft, not free agency or trades, so yes, in a wholesale rebuild of a roster, the team is going to skew young. Not to mention that the presence of *any* "non-temple veterans" will disprove your narrative.

21 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Good post…found this gem today 

Bill Walsh is an anomaly. 

Hue Jackson was 9-23 through his first two seasons as head coach. 

Some of you all would have kept one of the worst coaches in NFL history because you don’t lack patience and have too much imagination in believing that Jackson could be the next Bill Walsh. 

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Dunn said:

There seems to be this go lucky happy post every year about this team.  'shucks guys we're going in the right direction!' and then the team never steps up.  Tired of the narrative we are 'just a few players/plays away!' 

Should change the name to the Carolina Almost's.  

Sadly, there's quite a bit of truth in this.

15 minutes ago, Squid Game said:

Bill Walsh is an anomaly. 

Hue Jackson was 9-23 through his first two seasons as head coach. 

Some of you all would have kept one of the worst coaches in NFL history because you don’t lack patience and have too much imagination in believing that Jackson could be the next Bill Walsh. 

Bill Belichick didn’t make it in Cleveland either if we wanna play that game…how did that turn out?

Point still stands. You have to have a degree of patience. 

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, travisura said:

This year was never meant to be the one where we became truly competitive. One more offseason of picks/acquisitions that can contribute meaningfully and then we can start talking about winning the division/playoffs etc. 

If it wasn't then why did we not only trade for not one but two CBs? I think they thought the defense was good enough and it hasn't been. 

1 hour ago, Ornias said:

I am more concerned with how we went about this offseason. I liked trading around and getting more picks, but why trade for Sam but not bring any real line help. They brought a bunch of jag's and drafted a few projects. We should have built the line and then got a QB next year. 

Mind if I ask what "JAG" stands for/means?

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

If it wasn't then why did we not only trade for not one but two CBs? I think they thought the defense was good enough and it hasn't been. 

CJ is still on his rookie deal for at least 3 years. He can theoretically become a lockdown corner across from Horn. This is not a "win now" move. Gilmore is a vet that can come in and mentor our very young CB room. Not sure this move indicates a win now attitude either.

This debate happens across the football spectrum with new coaches.  It's all the same... "Give it time" or "it's a rebuild" or "wait until his guys are here" or "with some experience"...  To me, it's just chatter. 

I look at what happens in the game on the field.  Did the coaches manage the game? Are they putting the right personnel in at the right time? Making adjustments? Maybe the roster isn't where it should be, and that will impact results, but again, are the coaches holding up their end of the equation?  

• Pie 1

Too many with unrealistic expectations after that 3-0 start vs fairly weak competition. They're still NFL games, and there's no such thing as an easy win, but some people need to step back and remember how much of an overhaul we're going through. This isn't a quick patch-job / vets like we've seen catch lightning in a bottle with a few times in the past. This is complete gutting of the roster and coaching staff. A youth movement where many players have MINIMAL experience, as well as the coaching staff at the NFL level.

Not saying it'll work out or not, but 1.3 seasons into a complete rebuild, I'm not discouraged, but I also didn't expect us to consistently compete until year 3. Mistakes are being made, and I want to see the team & staff learn from them. But the fight is there. They're competing and making games out of situations we shouldn't be close.