• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our 1K Yard Receivers From Last Season Are Being Wasted By Darnold's Horrible Play

Proudiddy

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

No doubt, I agree,  PFF has some questionable metrics, and the OL should factor in a bit, but I think it just affirms the issues that were already present in his game.  Rodgers' can afford to miss on that many yards downfield because he also hits so many.  Sam can't.  But, I also believe we have a multitude of problems right now, and Sam is just one of many.

The only thread i'm really hanging on for Sam for me is the thing where he still throws  bad ball with time IMO is still tied to poo OL play. It's clear that it's in his head and with consistent pocket could that go away. He's staying loose and jittery because he needs to be able to take off or protect himself before dying behind the OL.

It's a fact that he still struggles with time but the WHY of that almost certainly is still tied to the constant pressure like missing a wide open layup for example. There is no defensive pressure there but you miss the layup anyway. He has time sometimes and it almost like takes his ass by surprise.

He almost certainly isn't going to work out but there is a non zero chance that with protection he could develop into an above average QB. He may be fuged too much already and he was our 3rd option so really I don't know what to make of what Rhule really thinks about him....we could be going for another QB next year or ride him out again but we have to have an OL for whoever it is. 

Just can't have the oL fug up a new QB whoever it is.

• Pie 2

49 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Actually it does.  Robby's catch rate was almost identical in his time with the Jets and Sam as it is this year.  I think I saw last year he was up in the 70s.  And he clearly wasn't loafing with Jets or we wouldn't have signed him...  it has to do something with his comfortability and ability to read the ball coming off of Sam's hand...  I guess almost like a batter being able to read and identify pitches as a pitcher releases them, and for that reason, why guys handpick who throws to them in HR Derbys.  They've just never been able to get on the same page, and it has nothing to do with effort.

Easier to catch those pillowy soft throws from Teddy over the darts from Sam. 

• Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

And those bringing up Rodgers' receivers on the list...  now share their receiving stats and Rodgers' throwing stats as well.  

The difference here is Rodgers completes almost 67% of his passes and only has 3 picks, and he throws a TON of deep passes historically.  

Don't be intentionally dense.

Dude...you created two threads now to blame Sam for Robbie not playing well.  

Sam is not playing well himself but Robbie deserves no excuses either.

Edited by glenwo2

I like the vibe in here.

I feel you guys. As a Cowboy fan I'm still waiting for an inevitable heartbreak somewhere along the way. The Cowboys in recent years have tended to get our hopes up and then crush us like the gullible dummies we were. Fingers are crossed but not holding my breath.

As for comments in here I'm kinda thinking Sam could work out and be a great player with time and some strategic thinking and rebuilding. He has a good arm but is just a little green and sketchy at times but with the right OL in front of him(which will/is coming) I think his confidence will zoom and that can make all the difference for a young QB. Good luck to the rest of your season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

The only thread i'm really hanging on for Sam for me is the thing where he still throws  bad ball with time IMO is still tied to poo OL play. It's clear that it's in his head and with consistent pocket could that go away. He's staying loose and jittery because he needs to be able to take off or protect himself before dying behind the OL.

It's a fact that he still struggles with time but the WHY of that almost certainly is still tied to the constant pressure like missing a wide open layup for example. There is no defensive pressure there but you miss the layup anyway. He has time sometimes and it almost like takes his ass by surprise.

He almost certainly isn't going to work out but there is a non zero chance that with protection he could develop into an above average QB. He may be fuged too much already and he was our 3rd option so really I don't know what to make of what Rhule really thinks about him....we could be going for another QB next year or ride him out again but we have to have an OL for whoever it is. 

Just can't have the oL fug up a new QB whoever it is.

Cam and RW had/have notoriously bad lines and still stand strong in the pocket and deliver. There are other good qbs who can do this. So while yes the oline needs an upgrade because we should always be striving for that I think we need to just call this what it is. The dude can’t handle it and gets happy feet in clean pockets. He can’t process correctly and is inaccurate. He’s had the worst completion percentage in clean pockets of any qb in the league over the past 4 years. No oline is gonna be perfect. Need to find a guy who can deal with it while still upgrading oline talent as best we can.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Cam and RW had/have notoriously bad lines and still stand strong in the pocket and deliver. There are other good qbs who can do this. So while yes the oline needs an upgrade because we should always be striving for that I think we need to just call this what it is. The dude can’t handle it and gets happy feet in clean pockets. He can’t process correctly and is inaccurate. He’s had the worst completion percentage in clean pockets of any qb in the league over the past 4 years. No oline is gonna be perfect. Need to find a guy who can deal with it while still upgrading oline talent as best we can.

Then we'll be looking for that guy forever.....

....*OR* they could FIX THE F*CKING O-LINE SO THEN ANY QB WE HAVE WILL HAVE A F*CKING GODDAMN SHOT AT COMPLETING PASSES WITHOUT PRESSURE 24/7!! 🤬

Edited by glenwo2
  • Pie 4

29 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I agree that is how Darnold is looking.  But I don't think this stat tells much of that story, tbh... There's so much just not working right now.

How did Sam complete that long bomb to DJ in that final drive?  

I'm still trying to figure it out because Sam is so inaccurate with the deep ball in the first place.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

Nah, most fan bases think their OL is weak. Most QBs routinely have to deal with bad OL play too.   

need a QB like a punt returner.  That is calm with heat coming at him. 

Just now, glenwo2 said:

Not really, I gave two examples. You guys live in a fantasy world where we can build up this oline to perfection in one off-season. “If only everything was absolutely perfect for Sam he would be good!”

We will have to invest 3 1st round picks in the oline over the next three years and then you’ll have to hope those guys pan out. Every single fanbase except like 4 teams bitch about having the worst oline in the league. The talent just isn’t there. However! There are guys talented enough and strong enough to make plays and not get happy feet in the pocket. I named two. There are many more if you watch teams besides the panthers. 

12 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Cam had no LT but had elite interior play it's not the same at all. 

Kalil/Turner/Norwell - 5x pro bowl, 2x 1st T-AllPro / 5x pro Bowl/ 1st T-All Pro

It's well beyond baffling that people are trying to compare these lines and yet at the time we still blamed the OL when Cam played poorly and a lot of that was true as well just like now except exponentially worse.

Wilson has had no OL and is one of the few who can escape like Houdini and that's it. Ain't no just deal with a historically bad OL when there has only been one guy who could maybe do it but yet in still his team is poo too now and they only won 1 SB so clearly they would have been better served to go ahead and get an OL. He also just fuged up his finger real good due to pressure up the middle. It's only when not if the QB gets done in these situations.

Edited by Fox007