• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trench Stats(DL/OL)

kungfoodude

What I'm reading is our pass block win rate is among the worst but our sack numbers are slightly better when adjusted (is this for number of passing attempts? Must be)... That would seem to suggest Darnold is getting the ball out generally fast and avoiding that pressure, right?

Still abysmal... Those win rates are garbage and limiting our offense.

Nice post btw @kungfoodude

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

Honestly, our offensive line is still garbage and is rarely being put in a position to help their case.

On defense, as hard as it is to admit, Snow's scheme has been figured out by teams that have coaching staffs that are students of the game. If an opponent's OC or DC even aren't anything more than glorified college coaches then we can dominate them.

I've been trying to be optimistic, but y'all have beaten me down. 

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

What I'm reading is our pass block win rate is among the worst but our sack numbers are slightly better when adjusted (is this for number of passing attempts? Must be)... That would seem to suggest Darnold is getting the ball out generally fast and avoiding that pressure, right?

Still abysmal... Those win rates are garbage and limiting our offense.

Nice post btw @kungfoodude

Darnold is quite slow at getting rid of the ball, actually. He is rated 24th in the NFL at 2.9 seconds Time To Throw.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, our offensive line is still garbage and is rarely being put in a position to help their case.

On defense, as hard as it is to admit, Snow's scheme has been figured out by teams that have coaching staffs that are students of the game. If an opponent's OC or DC even aren't anything more than glorified college coaches then we can dominate them.

I've been trying to be optimistic, but y'all have beaten me down. 

I actually think the defense is doing a great job. The biggest thing we can do to improve there is get healthy(missing a lot of key contributors) and for the offense to stop shitting the bed. 

Not many defenses are going to be successful when the offense is turning the ball over or getting dominated in TOP.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Darnold is quite slow at getting rid of the ball, actually. He is rated 24th in the NFL at 2.9 seconds Time To Throw.

Is that possibly because he's running for his life so quickly on so many plays?  It feels like most of of our plays on O we either get the ball out fast or he's running around with a bunch of DL chasing him... Not sure if stats back that up.

What you just said tho suggests Darnold is significantly more evasive than I gave him credit for, or his sack % should be closer to the pressure %, right?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I actually think the defense is doing a great job. The biggest thing we can do to improve there is get healthy(missing a lot of key contributors) and for the offense to stop shitting the bed. 

Not many defenses are going to be successful when the offense is turning the ball over or getting dominated in TOP.

The defense isn't adjusting in the 2nd half and it's costing us games - same as the O.  The defense is FAR ahead of the O, but it is frustrating how close we are to being elite there while falling to "just good" due to collapses at key moments.  Hopefully returning plyers change that.

Also on the D... It isn't just them being gassed or lacking morale either because the breakdowns on D often happy early in the 3rd as well.  True O turnovers happen then too, but look at Sunday where we had a rare incredible ST play and then just blew the lead right after... And even after long drives, when they happen, our D has trouble getting a stop...

Our coaching at half time seems very problematic. Brady's comments a couple weeks ago also suggested we don't really try to change anything on offense at half time, which seems insane.  Maybe he was just using coach speak but that is how they play...

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Is that possibly because he's running for his life so quickly on so many plays?  It feels like most of of our plays on O we either get the ball out fast or he's running around with a bunch of DL chasing him... Not sure if stats back that up.

What you just said tho suggests Darnold is significantly more evasive than I gave him credit for, or his sack % should be closer to the pressure %, right?

He is good at evading pressure but I think it goes back to his difficulties processing and also his trying to extend plays rather than make a decision.

In comparision:

2020: 2.85 seconds

2019:  2.92 seconds

2018: 2.91 seconds

That's sort of why I keep alluding to his processing difficulties. That spans multiple offenses(three, in fact) but still the same results.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

The defense isn't adjusting in the 2nd half and it's costing us games - same as the O.  The defense is FAR ahead of the O, but it is frustrating how close we are to being elite there while falling to "just good" due to collapses at key moments.  Hopefully returning plyers change that.

Also on the D... It isn't just them being gassed or lacking morale either because the breakdowns on D often happy early in the 3rd as well.  True O turnovers happen then too, but look at Sunday where we had a rare incredible ST play and then just blew the lead right after... And even after long drives, when they happen, our D has trouble getting a stop...

Our coaching at half time seems very problematic. Brady's comments a couple weeks ago also suggested we don't really try to change anything on offense at half time, which seems insane.  Maybe he was just using coach speak but that is how they play...

The defensive struggles in the second half aren't nearly as stark as the offensive struggles. But, that 3rd quarter situation definitely falls squarely on coaching. Our staff as a whole does not adjust well at the half. 

I very much disagree on the percentage of the blame taken by the defense. Quite honestly, that defense is the only reason we are probably not 0-6. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He is good at evading pressure but I think it goes back to his difficulties processing and also his trying to extend plays rather than make a decision.

In comparision:

That's sort of why I keep alluding to his processing difficulties. That spans multiple offenses(three, in fact) but still the same results.

Right, but despite having terrible OLs for at least the last few years, and a slow processing speed, he's taking fewer sacks than he should based on the OL.  Not saying the OL is the only thing at fault with our O.  Darnold is a problem too.

It is interesting how in 2 minute drills his processing speed seems to improve. You can visibly see him scanning the field faster.  It isn't a matter of him just making one read throws either. 

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In comparision:

but also three terrible offensive lines.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In comparision:

Dropping straight facts up in here on these boys!

Denzel Washington GIF

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

In comparision:

And yet Deshaun Watson is worse in Time to Throw.

So is Lamar Jackson 

So is Josh Allen

• Beer 1