• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Matt Rhule looking to play Shi Smith at RB some plays

CarolinaLivin

1 hour ago, Zod said:

If a media member at practice tweeted that they will get their creds yanked. That is some serious insider info that will greatly anger the coaches if it gets out.

Seems no worse to me than giving the Giants a heads up that we plan to emphasize the run more.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

NGL, loved pretty much every pick of the draft outside of the long snapper, and I thought at the time the TMJ pick may have been the best value pick of our class and possibly of the entire draft, but since the season started TMJ hasn't got much action his way...  and even when TMJ had been in there, he hadnt really flashed much, although Darnold has missed him on some big plays.  But when Shi has played, both in preseason and on Sunday, there is something about him, even just the way he moves.  It's like a surging electricity bubbling beneath the surface, waiting to erupt.  I even said in the game thread on his reverse that I thought it was DJ Moore.  There's something special about him, and I can definitely see elements of Samuel in him.  Smitty loves him too, and I can see a bit of that edge/playmaking in him, too.

Looking forward to seeing more of him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, frankw said:

If we're that desperate to take the ball out of Darnold's hands it's already over.

Or, when you’re running the ball at a 4 and half yard a carry, why  abandon it? Our OL is better at run blocking, defensively our starters are talented, but lack depth, so why put the team in a position to fail? So, if Darnold is the problem, why is Brady putting it in his hands? Three weeks in a row, we’ve had the lead at the half and we come out forcing the ball downfield? 

1 hour ago, weyco2000 said:

Or, when you’re running the ball at a 4 and half yard a carry, why  abandon it? Our OL is better at run blocking, defensively our starters are talented, but lack depth, so why put the team in a position to fail? So, if Darnold is the problem, why is Brady putting it in his hands? Three weeks in a row, we’ve had the lead at the half and we come out forcing the ball downfield? 

We are averaging 57% passing plays this season compared to 57.4% last season. We definitely are a pass heavy offense as a whole. The only reason that is going to change is that our passing offense is responsible for turning the ball over too much. Last year our QB was responsible for 6 TO's(out of 7 total) through 6 games, this is year it is 9 TO's(out of 10 total). 

Darnold has actually decreased his TO's every season in the NFL until now. He is on pace for a staggering 25.5 TO's in 2021. His previous high was his rookie season with 17 total.

Edited by kungfoodude

If Sam continues to poop the bed he'll be handing it of to DJ, Chubba, Smith, and whoever else wants to give RB a try. Rhule will put us in Wildcat before he let's Sam toss a bunch of picks again. If Sam shows any hint of putting on his interception man cape Rhule is going to pull the plug. Rhule can't handle watching interceptions and turnovers, he'll drop dead on the field from stress.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We are averaging 57% passing plays this season compared to 57.4% last season. We definitely are a pass heavy offense as a whole. The only reason that is going to change is that our passing offense is responsible for turning the ball over too much. Last year our QB was responsible for 6 TO's(out of 7 total) through 6 games, this is year it is 9 TO's(out of 10 total). 

To my point, why throw 57% of the time when your QB sucks? Maybe it’s not the QB, we’re going into the half with leads and getting gashed in the third quarter. Hell the opposing DB’s are running our routes and have a higher catch ratio for Christ sake. I’ll look it up tomorrow after I get up, but of the 9 picks, I can remember only 1 in the first half and also the run/pass ratio in the second half. From memory it seems like we have Warren Moon and the “Fun Bunch” coming out of the locker room and either lose the lead or momentum. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, weyco2000 said:

To my point, why throw 57% of the time when your QB sucks? Maybe it’s not the QB, we’re going into the half with leads and getting gashed in the third quarter. Hell the opposing DB’s are running our routes and have a higher catch ratio for Christ sake. I’ll look it up tomorrow after I get up, but of the 9 picks, I can remember only 1 in the first half and also the run/pass ratio in the second half. From memory it seems like we have Warren Moon and the “Fun Bunch” coming out of the locker room and either lose the lead or momentum. 

Well, our OL is also a lot worse, as are the rushing efficiency stats since 2020. People also forget how good Davis was at replacing CMC when he went down. Passes to the RB are a big part of what helps our offense be successful and Hubbard hasn't help much in that regard. His catch percentage is very low for the type of routes he is running.

So, while I agree we just have to start running the ball more, I don't think we are gonna see any type of dominant rushing attack. Not with the pieces we are working with.

I think more than anything we are just seeing that there aren't a lot of really clear answers on that side of the ball. Brady shares plenty of the blame but the execution by our offensive personnel overall has been pretty poor across the board. We just aren't consistent at all.

21 hours ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I am very excited to see if Smith can make an impact now that he’s able to play. Hopefully he is the spirit animal of another Smith we know 😁

I like what Hubbard has done in CMC absence. I can't stand Freeman. A 238lb RB can't get you 2 yds when you need it, is garbage.

Smith might do some nice things out of the backfield.