• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our Secondary

shaq

4 minutes ago, RJK said:

Can we take the homer glasses off and admit chinn stinks at safety. Literally wasting the best player on the field 

Very suprised he hasn't been converted back to linebacker. He's still impactful just not as much. He may just need more time in the role. 

However, I have no idea why he's a FS instead of SS. I understand he's gifted athletically but IMO he'd be best served at SS. 

So for next year, if I had to force Chinn at safety he'd be planted as an up in the box SS. As for Gilmore going to FS in the future...I'd rather see Donte there with Gilmore and Horn at CB 1 & 2. Bouye at nickle with Hartsfield backing him up. Bring Henderson along slow and him and Taylor would be very solid depth. Not to mention we still dont know what Thomas-Oliver's ceiling is + Pride is still developing. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, RJK said:

Can we take the homer glasses off and admit chinn stinks at safety. Literally wasting the best player on the field 

He played better last year for sure and that's all about position. He's had some good PBU though but I just would rather get the most out of him where he's best at.

7 hours ago, shaq said:

Personally I think he’s the best DB in the league, he’s played FS in New England. And you can make the argument that the differential in talent between Gilmore and Burris is far greater then the talent difference between him and Jaycee. I understand your point but I think there could be some real value in even a part time role at FS.

Call me a bit of a pessimist on this but I don’t think a former defensive player of the year (2 years removed) would be willing to make a position change in the final year of a contract he was already unhappy with. 

Absolutely love the idea for the team. Sounds great but…….
He’d personally be crazy to do it as a player especially when the open market would pay him so much more at corner. 

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

I'd rather see the team start stacking up on quality Oline instead. Quality CBs don't mean squat if the offense doesn't score or even stay on the field long enough for the defense to get a break.

I’m just happy we finally have real cbs, remember the days of rookie Bradberry and Worley. Sheesh that was not fun to watch.

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, Beast_3000 said:

Call me a bit of a pessimist on this but I don’t think a former defensive player of the year (2 years removed) would be willing to make a position change in the final year of a contract he was already unhappy with. 

Absolutely love the idea for the team. Sounds great but…….
He’d personally be crazy to do it as a player especially when the open market would pay him so much more at corner. 

Im more so implying that he could operate at FS for a decent amount of snaps. I dont think we need to limit him and his skillset to any position, were pretty deep at corner and weak at FS. His value is even higher for us knowing he can slide back to FS if we need him there.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:36 PM, Jon Snow said:

My money is on WFT.  Unless Fitt and Rhule keep handing out contracts when they shouldn't.  Rhule has a hand in 4 under 2 different GM's so there's a pattern forming. 

Hopefully a tag and trade situation. I think we’ve maxed out getting nothing for good/great players just leaving.

On 10/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, shaq said:

The Stephon Gilmore trade is even more interesting then I first realized. He has position flexibility to play free safety, a position we are really weak at. Maybe he doesn’t play free safety this year with Jaycee out, but next year with Jaycee back I think that it could be a real possibility. Also, I think there’s a strong chance we bring Donte back, Frittergoat clearly loves his DBs.

CB-Donte

CB-Jaycee

Slot- Henderson(or Bouye if he resigns)

FS- Gilmore

SS- Chinn

+ Keith Taylor as a really strong backup option 

That lineup is the best DB group in the league with zero doubt. Plus we finally get a real FS in the first time in 10 years.

Making a lot of assumptions.

I don't see Gilmore playing free safety. I think he'd take his services elsewhere before playing safety.

And that's just the first assumption you made.

• Beer 1

On 10/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, CRA said:

This year or if we keep Gilmore Next season, I see zero reason to move him to FS.  

he would be the best CB on the team.   Why wouldn’t you play the best CB at CB? 

With him and Horn matched up on guys it would be a wet dream. Lock down island. Next years draft I would not be surprised at all if we don't draft S and LB. That's about all that defense needs. 

9 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Making a lot of assumptions.

I don't see Gilmore playing free safety. I think he'd take his services elsewhere before playing safety.

And that's just the first assumption you made.

I mean it’s literally not an assumption he played snaps at FS in New England.