• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield

Raleigh PF

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Technically, if the Panthers pick top 15 and there is a QB you like out there, you take the QB.  Let Darnold start in 2022 and build the OL with every other pick or trade--and the 2022 draft.  That gives the rookie a year to watch, the GM a year to build an OL, and the fans another year of crap---but it is stepping in the right direction and not trying to plug holes with bubble gum.

But damn we have a stable full of CBs that have value.  Jackson needs to be dealt within a week (trade deadline) for a second if Fit can get it.  He is the only player who we could get value for and replace without losing anything (Horn, Bouye, Gimore, Taylor...)

What QBs do you like in the draft? I’m a bit of a draftaholic…

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The terrifying thing is that they've viewed FA QBs as more of a sure thing than drafted QBs. If we're seeing their sure things, damn I'd hate to see their shots in the dark.

To be fair, none of the qbs drafted after TL have looked lights out.  Maybe in that regard they knew what they were doing

I don't think he's as bad as some say. It definitely wouldn't be a reclamation project. He can sling it and it would be really fun to see that with CMC, DJ, Robby, and Marshall. BUT he has a lot of problems too. If he starts getting pressured he completely melts down and starts throwing INTs. Even with the insane amount of talent around him he's just been pretty decent. He seems to be injury prone. He's got a QB guru HC and hasn't really improved under him. 

So yeah, I'd probably be too scared to give him a big contract, but if you're Cleveland you absolutely have to. If you don't sign him and start the carousel again, oh boy.

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

To be fair, none of the qbs drafted after TL have looked lights out.  Maybe in that regard they knew what they were doing

I don’t put much weight into their rookie years. Some of the greats looked bad their rookie years. IMO rookie QBs shouldn’t start   (at least not the first half of the season). Mac Jones has already looked decent and Fields seems to be getting better each week. So these rookies are projecting upward as they should and our QB has been spiraling downward… I don’t think they knew what they were doing.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The terrifying thing is that they've viewed FA QBs as more of a sure thing than drafted QBs. If we're seeing their sure things, damn I'd hate to see their shots in the dark.

Darnold had the be the furthest  from a "Sure Thing " than any other QB based on his track record alone. SOMEONE (Is it Rhule or Tepper or GM?) Is continually  fuging up by ignoring the previous body of work of TB and Sam and just thinking they can mold mediocre  or terrible QB into something great.  They've been doing the same thing with o line and it's absolutely confounding.  

Just go out and get someone that's already good or has a good body of work and stop dumpster diving. It's not rocket science. 

If that person isn't available next off season? Keep Sam for another year and stack o line.  Worst that can happen is you draft or sign a great qb the following year behind a good line , or Sam just plays better with elite blocking . 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

Just now, Hoenheim said:

Darnold had the be the furthest  from a "Sure Thing " than any other QB based on his track record alone. SOMEONE (Is it Rhule or Tepper or GM?) Is continually  fuging up by ignoring the previous body of work of TB and Sam and just thinking they can mold mediocre  or terrible QB into something great.  They've been doing the same thing with o line and it's absolutely confounding.  

Just go out and get someone that's already good or has a good body of work and stop dumpster diving. It's not rocket science. 

If that person isn't available next off season? Keep Sam for another year and stack o line.  Worst that can happen is you draft or sign a great qb the following year behind a good line , or Sam just plays better with elite blocking . 

It's absurdly frustrating to me because both Teddy and Darnold are exactly what we should've expected them to be.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I said this all along but people hand wrung the whole time. Zach Wilson could be amazing if he landed in the right situation. Mac Jones was going to need an extremely niche situation. Trey Lance was going to need a spot where he could sit for a while and get polished. Justin Fields just straight up wasn't good and not worth the gamble.

I don't really think that the whole QB class and prospect rating thing matters THAT much though in regards to next year. Mahomes is the best in the league but was considered a boom or bust pick like Trey Lance was this year and was supposedly in a horrible QB class. What matters most is getting a guy who fits your system and putting him in the best chance to succeed. The bad thing is that I have no fuging clue who the Panthers ideal QB would be at this point.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

I'm not a Tepper fan in the least, but I highly doubt he's high on Darnold.

Just now, Hoenheim said:

I wouldn't have minded darnold so much if we still had that 2nd rounder..

Yep. I tried to tell everyone we grossly overpaid in that trade while bidding against ourselves, but folks were too busy trying to convince themselves that we stole Brett Favre from an incompetent franchise. I would've much rather signed Trubisky as a FA or traded a late round pick for Minshew to play wet nurse to Justin Fields who I would've drafted at #9.

• Pie 1