• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield

Raleigh PF

PFT is asking the question if the Browns are going to give Baker Mayfield a new contract (rookie contract runs out in 2022).

"And it’s not just a question of whether the Browns are willing to extend Mayfield. The real question is whether the Browns will make Mayfield an offer he won’t refuse. At one point not that long ago, each quarterback who was due for a new deal became the new highest-paid player in league history. From Andrew Luck to Derek Carr to Matthew Stafford to Jimmy Garoppolo to Kirk Cousins to Matt Ryan, each guy kept pushing the bar a little higher.

That’s likely changing. With Patrick Mahomes at $45 million per year in new money and with Dak Prescott at $40 million (but actually with a much better deal) and Josh Allen splitting the difference at $43 million annually, the chances of Mayfield coming in at $45.1 million, for example, are slim.

It makes sense, frankly, for a second tier of quarterback salaries to emerge, with a player who is good enough to remain with his team but not good enough to break the bank getting something in the range of $33 million to $35 million per year in new money. That make seem like a lot. However, with the looming cap explosion fueled by new TV deals and stacks of gambling cash, that soon becomes a significant value.'

Question is, would you be willing to pay Mayfield north of $35M/year? I don't necessarily think the guy is a top-5 QB, but he's orders of magnitude better than Darnold and wouldn't cost any draft picks, unless the Panthers tried to trade for him this offseason.

Thoughts?

• Poo 3

Give Darnold the Browns offensive line and I don’t think you would be able to tell their stats apart on paper.

Both guys are middle of the pack QBs who aren’t winning anything without a solid team around them.

Oh yeah and no, I wouldn’t even consider paying either one of them north of 30 million dollars a year.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

I think there are some sleeper QBs in this draft and we will grab one this year.  About the OL? I expect to see a deal done before the deadline that could involve a CB for a second rounder or so.  We shall see.  Many think we should go OL with the first pick,and they could be right, but Howell has not had much support in Chapel Hill and there are a few others who could be there when the panthers pick.  If the Panthers are picking top 15, they will take a QB. If they are picking around 20 or better, they go OL (possible a trade back.)  TMI? 

If Cleveland will not sign their starting QB, should we? I don't know. 

I would not want the Panthers to shell out $30-35M for Mayfield…or any other QB for that matter.

QB contract numbers have become ridiculous. 1/6 to 1/5 of your entire salary cap for one player? No thanks. Way too many roster spots to fill to spend that much on one player, regardless of the fact that it is QB. 

Check Brady’s career contract numbers on spotrac. He’s always taken less money, which allows his team to spend in other areas. This is proof of a world in which QBs get insanely wealthy yet still allow their organizations to build complete teams. I like that model. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly haven't watched enough to say, but I do know that Baker Mayfield played a huge role in yanking the Browns' out of the NFL's basement and he did it while they were playing musical chairs with coaches. That's a monumental task.

Huge role is a bit of reach.  It was Kevin Stefanski and the running game he built the past 2 years.  All Mayfield does is play action when its called on. 

The Panthers  really need to get away from free agent QBs and actually draft one . They haven't shown the ability to choose good free agent qbs or o line . So they logically should be looking at drafting both high next year (or I guess one of the two if we only have that first rounder and don't trade for more picks or trade down ).

The best thing Fitterer could do is trade down.  If I were him I'd trade one or two defensive players for 2022 picks,  make a good trade down in the draft,  and have a ton of 2nd and 3rds to stack the o line and kick the tires on a qb . 

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Huge role is a bit of reach.  It was Kevin Stefanski and the running game he built the past 2 years.  All Mayfield does is play action when its called on. 

0-16 to get Mayfield. 7-8-1 with rookie Mayfield.

I'm not saying he's great, but don't be surprised if they go right back to the basement if they move on from Mayfield. Panthers fans are getting a real good dose on what reality looks like when you think you have such brilliance at OC that you can make just anyone work out at QB.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Technically, if the Panthers pick top 15 and there is a QB you like out there, you take the QB.  Let Darnold start in 2022 and build the OL with every other pick or trade--and the 2022 draft.  That gives the rookie a year to watch, the GM a year to build an OL, and the fans another year of crap---but it is stepping in the right direction and not trying to plug holes with bubble gum.

But damn we have a stable full of CBs that have value.  Jackson needs to be dealt within a week (trade deadline) for a second if Fit can get it.  He is the only player who we could get value for and replace without losing anything (Horn, Bouye, Gimore, Taylor...)

5 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

The Panthers  really need to get away from free agent QBs and actually draft one . They haven't shown the ability to choose good free agent qbs or o line . So they logically should be looking at drafting both high next year (or I guess one of the two if we only have that first rounder and don't trade for more picks or trade down ).

The best thing Fitterer could do is trade down.  If I were him I'd trade one or two defensive players for 2022 picks,  make a good trade down in the draft,  and have a ton of 2nd and 3rds to stack the o line and kick the tires on a qb . 

The terrifying thing is that they've viewed FA QBs as more of a sure thing than drafted QBs. If we're seeing their sure things, damn I'd hate to see their shots in the dark.

• Beer 1