• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading for Deshaun Watson could set the Panthers back many years

hepcat

4 minutes ago, Coheed said:

acting like the only possible outcome of trading for Watson is “winning games when he starts playing” is ridiculous. Team could just as easily keep dropping games amongst the stench of obvious desperation and Watson might not ever even see the field again. But I really can’t reconcile with the thinking of “well statistically hes most likely a serial predator but at least we have our QB.” Nah. 

Getting Watson is risky. The whole post was about risk. Whole post.

Pick an option.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Trading for a guy who might not even play? Who brings negative attention to the team? Who might look a lot worse playing for a BAD offensive coaching staff? Sounds like a great plan. 

We are terrible and been set back for 26 years, and we already get negative attention lol. This post is dumb, sorry but I’m against u.

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Well imagine not having any 1st round talent the next 3 seasons, losing key defensive players like Burns and/or Chinn. And having a QB they traded for that won’t play until who knows when.

It can get a LOT worse. 

Status quo isn't getting us anywhere.

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

I am firmly coming out against trading for Deshaun Watson.

#1) The rumored price tags of multiple first round picks and quality starting players is ridiculous. Unless Watson has all charges dropped and the accusers recant their statements before the trade is completed, he’s not worth what the Texans want for him. Even under normal circumstances it’s a crazy price tag.

#2) There’s a strong chance Watson ends up on the commissioner exempt list until the legal situation is resolved. So the Panthers would need to trade a lot of assets for a guy who has an unknown start date.

#3) There is a huge amount of negative PR the Panthers will have to manage after trading for a QB accused of being a sexual predator. Regardless of how the legal situation pans out, Watson still had a lot of nasty allegations against him. Those allegations are out there in people’s memory now and fans won’t forget that quickly.

#4) Let’s say the Panthers do trade for Watson, he gets through the legal troubles, and ends up the starting QB for the Panthers. Strictly as a player, why would he be a success on this team? The Panthers are poorly coached on offense and the players have given up. If the Giants game showed us anything, it’s that this team has a LOT more problems than just QB play, although that is a huge problem as well.

All that said, a failed Deshaun Watson trade could set this team back by 5-7 years depending on the amount of assets they give up. Not having first round picks can have a negative impact many years into the future.

I’m not in favor of this trade for many reasons and hope it doesn’t happen. I’d rather this team just rank and draft a QB next season with a rebuilt offensive line and new offensive coaching staff. 

I agree with you 100 percent , Watson would be on IR playing behind this O line and with out Draft Picks nobody is letting their top lineman hit the open market. We still need a top TE and a top RB if CMC keeps landing on IR

Trading for Watson for the asking price is a big risk just on its own. Add in the uncertainty with the multiple sexual assault allegations and it’s a nightmare. No idea when he could actually play. IF he gets convicted then what??? Never plays again and we sold the farm for him....yikes. 

Edited by Wanderlai

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Status quo isn't getting us anywhere.

Yeah, like...

If you don't want Watson for his off-the-field issues?  I get that.

But if we're strictly talking value and the return we'd get from Watson, giving up 1st round picks and one or two starters would absolutely be worth it.  Everyone loves to point out that the Texans were bad last year, but ish happens.  Teams with great QBs, which Watson is, are usually competitive and good.  An elite QB makes up for a lot.  And the Texans had 2 10+ win seasons with Watson despite being an overall average team.  He makes up for a lot of holes.

If you want to be great, you have to be aggressive.  The Rams have been doing just fine while giving up endless 1st round picks.  Watson is too good not to be worth it.

But again, that is just talking about his value on-the-field.  Off-the-field is a different debate.  Me, personally... I try to just enjoy the sport.  And when I say that, I'm not implying that I want to sweep Watson's issues under the rug.  He 100% deserves to be punished by the league and by the law, if found guilty. But at the end of the day, I'm a Panthers fan and I'm going to root for the Panthers to succeed.  If we're doing it with a bad human at QB, then so be it.  Lotta bad people in a lot of prominent positions in life.  Sucks, but Watson is either going to play quarterback here or he is going to play quarterback somewhere else.  That's just the fact of the matter.  

And as sad as it is to say, two years from now, this won't really be a huge talking point.  It is how it goes.  So many examples out there, including guys in the NFL currently.  

And FWIW, I'm of the belief that the NFL should have long put Watson on the exempt list.  I don't think he should play this season.  So I'm not trying to excuse Watson or make it seem like I'm a fan of his.  I'm not.  Just that, the reality is he is going to play.  And a bad guy winning games for my team is a lot better than a bad guy winning games for another team.

Edited by Mage

52 minutes ago, TDGone said:

I agree with you 100 percent , Watson would be on IR playing behind this O line and with out Draft Picks nobody is letting their top lineman hit the open market. We still need a top TE and a top RB if CMC keeps landing on IR

You can play worst case scenario with any decision the Panthers make. Hell we're in the worse case scenario right now.