• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading for Deshaun Watson could set the Panthers back many years

hepcat

29 minutes ago, Varking said:

We have never had back to back winning seasons. How much further back are we going?

Counterpoint, it could set us ahead many years. 

Set us ahead how? We will be giving up a crap ton of picks and maybe a good player. What the hell is Watson going to do behind that OL?

• Flames 1

If we traded for Watson, Panthers PR is going to delay any press conferences for as long as they can. When they can't anymore, they are going to try to screen the questions, which will also end in disaster. Rhule, Fitterer, and probably even Tepper himself will be subject to extensive questions that I doubt they would be able to give a good answer for. It would be peak embarrassment.

Edited by Dilla
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LegioX said:

Set us ahead how? We will be giving up a crap ton of picks and maybe a good player. What the hell is Watson going to do behind that OL?

We don’t know what draft capital will be given up. Watson has stood behind olines just as poor and performed greatly. It’ll be nothing new to him. 

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Hence why I also said the part about how no one will forget these accusations and the PR nightmare that comes with it. 

I agree with you 100%. Just pointing out to those hopeful Watson clears his name and suits up for Carolina that it’s a pipe dream. Not how the legal system works unfortunately. 

• Beer 1

If you want to see what a Watson led Panther’s team with poo coaching, poor owner moves, even less of a future draft wise, and dismal team overall will look like, it’s right in front of your face - the 2020 Texans.

Stop looking for a one man savior this franchise needs more.

• Flames 2

I already made this prediction of being set back many years when Rhule came here. I said if we brought in Teddy we would enter 8-8 QB limbo, with 8-8 being the peak of his time here. Once we dumped Teddy I said our next QB needed to be elite, or have the potential to be elite, and it didn't matter what we payed for him. We went out and got Sam, and I said we would be back in 8-9 limbo, with 8-9 being the high water mark of his time being here. Now it looks like Sam won't have a second season to shoot for an 8-9ish record.

We're already ruined. We're never going to have a great team with Sam at QB. N e v e r. Understand that? The best we will be with Sam is 8-9ish if he stays here long term. We already have no future if we stay the course and build around Sam. If we draft a QB, then that is two more bad seasons after this bad season, and nothing is promised once the QB is up to speed. He might be a bust.

Watson is known to be a good quality franchise QB. We already know that to be true. That means that we can plug him in at QB and he will elevate the offense, and with a fresh and talented defense we might have a good team, or we'll be really close to having one. If you have a BETTER plan, then share it immediately. Otherwise I vote to get the hell out of QB limbo asap.

People talk about risk like we're in a position to avoid it. We in a position where we have to take risks now, or we're going nowhere. Life itself is risky. You might not wake up tomorrow morning. We can't turn this team around without doing something very risky. The time to play it safe is over. Building slowly through the draft doesn't work at all when Sam is your QB. That will not work.

Option 1: Draft a QB and lose a lot of games fro the next two seasons with an unknown prospect.

Option 2: Get Watson and start winning as soon as he can play.

Option 3: Let Sam play and keep losing.

Option 4: Get another game manager veteran QB and go back into QB limbo.

I pick option two because I want to roll the dice with maximum risk/reward because Rhule has put us in this situation. We have to press the panic button because the current regime made too many mistakes. We would have a great QB right NOW if Rhule would have started the backups in the Washington game. Now we have to panic, or disengage and do something else on Sundays.

Edited by pantherj
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I already made this prediction of being set back many years when Rhule came here. I said if we brought in Teddy we would enter 8-8 QB limbo, with 8-8 being the peak of his time here. Once we dumped Teddy I said our next QB needed to be elite, or have the potential to be elite, and it didn't matter what we payed for him. We went out and got Sam, and I said we would be back in 8-9 limbo, with 8-9 being the high water mark of his time being here. Now it looks like Sam won't have a second season to shoot for an 8-9ish record.

We're already ruined. We're never going to have a great team with Sam at QB. N e v e r. Understand that? The best we will be with Sam is 8-9ish if he stays here long term. We already have no future if we stay the course and build around Sam. If we draft a QB, then that is two more bad seasons after this bad season, and nothing is promised once the QB is up to speed. He might be a bust.

Watson is known to be a good quality franchise QB. We already know that to be true. That means that we can plug him in at QB and he will elevate the offense, and with a fresh and talented defense we might have a good team, or we'll be really close to having one. If you have a BETTER plan, then share it immediately. Otherwise I vote to get the hell out of QB limbo asap.

People talk about risk like we're in a position to avoid it. We in a position where we have to take risks now, or we're going nowhere. Life itself is risky. You might not wake up tomorrow morning. We can't turn this team around without doing something very risky. The time to play it safe is over. Building slowly through the draft doesn't work at all when Sam is your QB. That will not work.

Option 1: Draft a QB and lose a lot of games fro the next two seasons with an unknown prospect.

Option 2: Get Watson and start winning as soon as he can play.

Option 3: Let Sam play and keep losing.

Option 4: Get another game manager veteran QB and go back into QB limbo.

I pick option two because I want to roll the dice with maximum risk/reward because Rhule has put us in this situation. We have to press the panic button because the current regime made too many mistakes. We would have a great QB right NOW if Rhule would have started the backups in the Washington game. Now we have to panic, or disengage and do something else on Sundays.

acting like the only possible outcome of trading for Watson is “winning games when he starts playing” is ridiculous. Team could just as easily keep dropping games amongst the stench of obvious desperation and Watson might not ever even see the field again. But I really can’t reconcile with the thinking of “well statistically hes most likely a serial predator but at least we have our QB.” Nah. 

Edited by Coheed

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

There are no Qbs in this draft that will turn this thing around soon and slim pickings in FA. You gotta young playofff caliber defense all on rookie deals.  Throw some money at the top FA O linemen and not the trash bin and you can still be competitive. 

That defense is 3 years out from being playoff caliber. 

• Pie 1