• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading for Deshaun Watson could set the Panthers back many years

hepcat

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

I think it’s pretty clear giving up a large amount of assets for a QB accused of being a sexual predator, who might not see the field for what could be years, is not a good idea. I hoped my post would sway people who were on the fence. I think we as fans should be united in our opposition for trading for Watson. Yes we all want to win, but this would be a knee jerk move that wouldn’t solve the other many problems the Panthers have. It would be a horrible decision and I hope the team is not really considering it, despite how bad the team has turned out to be.

The team will be better served by having high draft picks and not having the distraction of wondering if and when Watson will finally play football again. 

I have no idea the amount of assets because this hypothetical trade hasn't happened. Hence the "variables are vast" statement. 

I have no idea whether we will be better served getting Watson or not. Ask me in 4-5 years and we can see how it did or didn't work out.

That is why I have no desire to speak in the definitives that you are. I don't know any of the variables. 

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I have no idea the amount of assets because this hypothetical trade hasn't happened. Hence the "variables are vast" statement. 

I have no idea whether we will be better served getting Watson or not. Ask me in 4-5 years and we can see how it did or didn't work out.

That is why I have no desire to speak in the definitives that you are. I don't know any of the variables. 

The rumored price Houston wants is multiple first round picks and starting caliber defensive players. If that’s true then the price is outrageous and ridiculous. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, flagfootballcoach28 said:

This organization has no idea how to build a SB roster

Hey we built 2

I'd love to get a shot at Belicheat without their filming of our poo 

Just uhhh hold off on that blood test we got some roids to purge

Edited by Fox007
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, hepcat said:

The rumored price Houston wants is multiple first round picks and starting caliber defensive players. If that’s true then the price is outrageous and ridiculous. 

Yeah but we don't know if those rumors are just their negotiation point. The thing is, we have two conflicting rumors. They want that exorbitant price but they also want to get it done by the trade deadline. 

If the latter is true, it immediately hurts the first rumor. So, we really don't know very much at all 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but we don't know if those rumors are just their negotiation point. The thing is, we have two conflicting rumors. They want that exorbitant price but they also want to get it done by the trade deadline. 

If the latter is true, it immediately hurts the first rumor. So, we really don't know very much at all 

Yeah, my next door neighbor is trying to sell his house for $1.4M. It might be worth half that. Just because you're asking for something doesn't mean you're gonna get it.

• Beer 4

15 hours ago, hepcat said:

I am firmly coming out against trading for Deshaun Watson.

#1) The rumored price tags of multiple first round picks and quality starting players is ridiculous. Unless Watson has all charges dropped and the accusers recant their statements before the trade is completed, he’s not worth what the Texans want for him. Even under normal circumstances it’s a crazy price tag.

#2) There’s a strong chance Watson ends up on the commissioner exempt list until the legal situation is resolved. So the Panthers would need to trade a lot of assets for a guy who has an unknown start date.

#3) There is a huge amount of negative PR the Panthers will have to manage after trading for a QB accused of being a sexual predator. Regardless of how the legal situation pans out, Watson still had a lot of nasty allegations against him. Those allegations are out there in people’s memory now and fans won’t forget that quickly.

#4) Let’s say the Panthers do trade for Watson, he gets through the legal troubles, and ends up the starting QB for the Panthers. Strictly as a player, why would he be a success on this team? The Panthers are poorly coached on offense and the players have given up. If the Giants game showed us anything, it’s that this team has a LOT more problems than just QB play, although that is a huge problem as well.

All that said, a failed Deshaun Watson trade could set this team back by 5-7 years depending on the amount of assets they give up. Not having first round picks can have a negative impact many years into the future.

I’m not in favor of this trade for many reasons and hope it doesn’t happen. I’d rather this team just rank and draft a QB next season with a rebuilt offensive line and new offensive coaching staff. 

I mean Big Ben had a similar situation and we see how that played out

29 minutes ago, irrevalentfalconsfan said:

I mean Big Ben had a similar situation and we see how that played out

not similar at all. he was already on that team and didn't require giving up any assets. also that was like 15 years ago and a completely different era pre me-too movement. 

How many teams really nail their first round pick for a QB anyway?  The odds are low and they end up spending many anyway over years.  All the off field stuff aside Watson is a known top 5 QB that is young.  This franchise sucks at picking QBs so maybe getting a known star makes sense.