• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' Wins w/Rhule+Co (In Context)

davos

Matt Rhule's Overall Record: 8-15

Let's start last season where strangely enough, we had some early wins and a CMC injury by week three...here's a look-->

2020:

vs. Chargers, week 3: 21-16

Rookie coach+QB's 3rd start vs. our rookie coach+vet QB; decent win, but no running game to speak of. Weird play calling from what I remember.

vs. Cardinals, week 4: 31-21

Probably our best win under Rhule.  Balanced offense, good defense.

vs. Falcons, week 5: 23-16

Probably Teddy's best game from us.  Overall, week 4-5 of last season were our best looking games under Rhule.  Couldn't stop the run to save our life though.  Gurley's only decent game last year; he ran over us. 

vs. Lions, week 11: 20-0 (PJ Walker day)

Lions game.  Nothing more needs to be said.  Also with a coach at the end.  Defense won us this one.  It was the first game where our run D wasn't getting manhandled by random vets.

vs. WFT, week 16: 20-13 (End of year, Rivera banked it in/gave us Haskins)

This was ugly.  Let us wash it from our memory. Way too close for a Haskins led Rivera squad.

2021:

vs. Jets, week 1: 19-14

Offense could not get it going but defense was stout against a rookie coach and QB in their first game.  Offense couldn't produce enough so much so that it went down to the final drive or so.

vs. Saints week 2: 26-7

Better here but in Saints had like half of their coaches missing.  Had a few decent then dull drives ending in FGs.

vs. Texans week 3: 24-9

Defense played great, offense played mistake free football but it was by no means flashy.  Solid win but against a pretty putrid Texans squad starting a round 2-3 rookie QB

What this tells me:

Our best under Rhule was week 4-5 of last season and it has been a pretty ugly downward trend since minus the defense getting better.  Special teams and offense have been consistently nosediving.  The offense has never really produced, only topping 30 one time in our 8 wins, rarely achieving multiple passing TDs in one game.  

2 quality wins last year, I'd say 1 this year.  Texans game was by 15 but ugly as hell and we dropped like flies during it.  Pretty awful resume so far. 

Outlook:

There better be significant growth over the next 2 weeks.  We've got a rookie coach next week and then a Mac Jones the following.  I HAVE to think Tepper's breaking point will be if we lose to Mac Jones at home and we fall to 3-6.

Edited by davos
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

My biggest concern with Rhule is not getting involved more with his coordinators. I understand his philisophy of letting them coach and learn through ambiguity. However, Joe Brady just isnt getting it. The guy abandons the run and gives opposing defense an easy day. He leaves zero room for creativity, and never gets defenses off balance. It was a single score game and all we did was throw the football. That's a cake walk for defensive coordinators.

I get that we are after Rhule right now, but to me the real issue is on one side of the ball. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

50 minutes ago, thennek said:

Good summary. Bottom line is Rhule is not getting it done. He is one of the highest paid NFL coaches and his staff and players selected by his staff are not producing. Tepper does not strike me as a nice and patient man. 

Yeah looking at it all together helps shed some light on when we’ve walked away with Ws. On a few have even been impressive. Honest—They’ve been leaving a dull taste in my mouth even in a victory.

Missed TDs, and a consistently stalling offense in the second half. Worse than Rivera in this regard.

3 hours ago, davos said:

Matt Rhule's Overall Record: 8-15

Let's start last season where strangely enough, we had some early wins and a CMC injury by week three...here's a look-->

2020:

vs. Chargers, week 3: 21-16

Rookie coach+QB's 3rd start vs. our rookie coach+vet QB; decent win, but no running game to speak of. Weird play calling from what I remember.

vs. Cardinals, week 4: 31-21

Probably our best win under Rhule.  Balanced offense, good defense.

vs. Falcons, week 5: 23-16

Probably Teddy's best game from us.  Overall, week 4-5 of last season were our best looking games under Rhule.  Couldn't stop the run to save our life though.  Gurley's only decent game last year; he ran over us. 

vs. Lions, week 11: 20-0 (PJ Walker day)

Lions game.  Nothing more needs to be said.  Also with a coach at the end.  Defense won us this one.  It was the first game where our run D wasn't getting manhandled by random vets.

vs. WFT, week 16: 20-13 (End of year, Rivera banked it in/gave us Haskins)

This was ugly.  Let us wash it from our memory. Way too close for a Haskins led Rivera squad.

2021:

vs. Jets, week 1: 19-14

Offense could not get it going but defense was stout against a rookie coach and QB in their first game.  Offense couldn't produce enough so much so that it went down to the final drive or so.

vs. Saints week 2: 26-7

Better here but in Saints had like half of their coaches missing.  Had a few decent then dull drives ending in FGs.

vs. Texans week 3: 24-9

Defense played great, offense played mistake free football but it was by no means flashy.  Solid win but against a pretty putrid Texans squad starting a round 2-3 rookie QB

What this tells me:

Our best under Rhule was week 4-5 of last season and it has been a pretty ugly downward trend since minus the defense getting better.  Special teams and offense have been consistently nosediving.  The offense has never really produced, only topping 30 one time in our 8 wins, rarely achieving multiple passing TDs in one game.  

2 quality wins last year, I'd say 1 this year.  Texans game was by 15 but ugly as hell and we dropped like flies during it.  Pretty awful resume so far. 

Outlook:

There better be significant growth over the next 2 weeks.  We've got a rookie coach next week and then a Mac Jones the following.  I HAVE to think Tepper's breaking point will be if we lose to Mac Jones at home and we fall to 3-6.

We are definitely losing to Bill at home, No way this staff outcoaches the Patriots. Expect to be blown out like they did the Jets. 

39 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

We are definitely losing to Bill at home, No way this staff outcoaches the Patriots. Expect to be blown out like they did the Jets. 

If that happens, just remember Tepper wanted a QB in the draft and we’d be getting shellacked by one we could’ve taken. I can’t imagine he’ll be a happy owner if that goes down.