• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers HC's - Winning % Through First Two Seasons

kungfoodude

11 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I think in the current era of the NFL, the rebuild is every year and the normal  turnover with retirements, cap casualties,  and free agent departures are around 30 to 40% anyway

my concern is not rebuilding. My concern is that during this rebuild there is massive regression which points to not only mishandling the normal % of departures but failing at coaching, drafting and free agency to improve holes and plug in replacements 

One of Rhule’s core philosophies  of versatility vs  doing on position to the highest level is incredibly stupid in the nfl.   The reverse is actually true.  Players need to be the best of the best at their core position and if they have ability to play any other position with a degree of competence, that’s a plus.

Most competent NFL teams never go full rebuild. You tweak your roster every offseason but never tear it down to the bare bones and try to start from scratch. It blew my mind when we did that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

To be fair at this point we need to tank so his numbers should go down.

But..... we never in Capers or Fox's first two years thought about tanking. We were building and excited. 

I don't think we have to try to tank, unfortunately. 

Much like last year, I suspect we will win a game as we have ascended draft positions and then make the fan even more mad.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Most competent NFL teams never go full rebuild. You tweak your roster every offseason but never tear it down to the bare bones and try to start from scratch. It blew my mind when we did that.

I never understood the college mentality that we approached this with. A college rebuild takes 4-5 years. Enough time for a coach to get his recruits in and get through a full class of them. In the NFL you are tweaking but you should never be gutting the roster and spending entire drafts on one side of the ball.

Rhule is using his college system of building teams with no adjustments for the league hes in now. It’s not working and he is refusing to change. The Darnold signing was a desperate move that backfired. The Cam signing was a desperate move to fix the darnold signing. Now he’s crippled us for the future to where we do need to actually tear down the whole offense and start over and we have limited resources to accomplish that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

In the NFL it shouldn’t take 3 years to build a playoff contender. 3 is the maximum but it shouldn’t take that long. 
Took Fox 1 year and Rivera 2, yeah we went 7-9 in 2012 but I think 2012 was a playoff team that was being held back by Rivera until his seat got hot. 
I know people are pointing at the length of his contract but 7 years doesn’t mean he has a ton of time. 
If Rhule isn’t fired this season next season will be Rhules last season if he doesn’t make the playoffs. 
If your team doesn’t make the playoffs in year 3 then your shouldn’t be a head coach anymore. 
Personally Rhule needs to make the playoffs convincingly not 9-8 or 8-9 bullcrap. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

In the NFL it shouldn’t take 3 years to build a playoff contender. 3 is the maximum but it shouldn’t take that long. 
Took Fox 1 year and Rivera 2, yeah we went 7-9 in 2012 but I think 2012 was a playoff team that was being held back by Rivera until his seat got hot. 
I know people are pointing at the length of his contract but 7 years doesn’t mean he has a ton of time. 
If Rhule isn’t fired this season next season will be Rhules last season if he doesn’t make the playoffs. 
If your team doesn’t make the playoffs in year 3 then your shouldn’t be a head coach anymore. 
Personally Rhule needs to make the playoffs convincingly not 9-8 or 8-9 bullcrap. 

I wouldn't worry about the playoffs. You have to win 3-4 of your last 8 games in a season to be a playoff team, not 1 or 0.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Rivera never had back to back winning seasons, did he really rebuild?