• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking of moving from SoCal to Western Carolina

GOAT

30 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Thank you! I had not heard of Sylva, looks like a great option - slightly further from Charlotte than I would like but that isn't a deal breaker.

A long time ago, I lived in the Sylva area.  Loved it there.  There is something about the mountains there that is very welcoming and comforting. The area is beautiful too and people are very nice.

• Pie 1

Thanks for all the input, do any of you locals know about some of these areas educational systems? I will have kids going through elementary, middle and high school. Curious if any of you know about their youth sports programs, schools and such.

We have so many options out here, I'm sure some of these smaller towns only have a couple options no?

4 hours ago, GOAT said:

Thanks for all the input, do any of you locals know about some of these areas educational systems? I will have kids going through elementary, middle and high school. Curious if any of you know about their youth sports programs, schools and such.

We have so many options out here, I'm sure some of these smaller towns only have a couple options no?

I got my daughter into the charter school here in Morganton.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:37 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Morganton really doesn't get much snow. Boone is the coldest place on Earth. I'll take -20 in CO over 30 and windy in Boone. That cold just hits different.

When I was in school there I talked to a Coloradan once who said the exact same thing.  It's a uniquely punishing kind of cold.

Tennessee side will give you all of what you’re looking for including some top schools if you chose the right city or county to live in. It will only add an extra hour to Charlotte. Tenn has no state income tax. Tax on goods is higher than NC but it will be a hop and skip to the NC side. I lived in WNC most of my life. Real estate is very different in Avery,Watauga, Macon, Buncombe and Jackson counties, tons of multi million dollar second or summer homes in these counties and public schools are just ok at best. Johnson County in Tennessee along Hwy 421 has a portion that’s next to Watauga lake and within minutes to Boone.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Squirrel Gravy said:

Tennessee side will give you all of what you’re looking for including some top schools if you chose the right city or county to live in. It will only add an extra hour to Charlotte. Tenn has no state income tax. Tax on goods is higher than NC but it will be a hop and skip to the NC side. I lived in WNC most of my life. Real estate is very different in Avery,Watauga, Macon, Buncombe and Jackson counties, tons of multi million dollar second or summer homes in these counties and public schools are just ok at best. Johnson County in Tennessee along Hwy 421 has a portion that’s next to Watauga lake and within minutes to Boone.

Hwy 321 not 421.

You won’t get any snow anywhere really in NC.

I live in Utah. Honestly, I wouldn’t live anywhere outside SLC. It gets weird, quick. And there isn’t much snow in southern Utah aka cedar city or st George. 

SLC has 4 defines seasons and Mountain View’s no city will beat. Guaranteed white Christmas. Comes at a price though. Weird culture. The wind blows up all the pollution from Vegas and Cali and it gets suck here since we are in a bowl surrounded by mountains. But outside the city there are good spots, no inversion. Look up Morgan, UT which is 20-30 mins to SLC and to Park city. But you won’t be saving much, it’s expensive.

If it must be Carolina, I echo the Boone area. Seven Devils/Banner Elk areas are really nice.

I never considered NC to have mountains…more like ‘rolling hills, beautiful nonetheless.

For the money tho I’d take lesser views and better cost of living any day. If I could make what I do in NC I’d be looking around Uwharrie first or Boone. North Georgia and Tennessee blue ridge parts as well. But I can’t do small towns where everyone is related and knows you personally…

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

20 hours ago, GOAT said:

You might want to contact the local Chamber of Commerce in some of these areas to get some info and data on their communities.  Also a local real estate agent could be a resource as well.  Of course they are going to put a bright spin on things but at least you could compare.  Also there is online data such as 

https://backgroundchecks.org/top-school-districts-in-north-carolina.html

Waynesville (Haywood County) is ranked 3rd on this list.

• Pie 1