• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking of moving from SoCal to Western Carolina

GOAT

13 hours ago, onmyown said:

You won’t get any snow anywhere really in NC.

I live in Utah. Honestly, I wouldn’t live anywhere outside SLC. It gets weird, quick. And there isn’t much snow in southern Utah aka cedar city or st George. 

You got Brian Head right there though. Funny, I feel the opposite about Utah. I couldn't do the Provo through Ogden stretch but southern Utah is awesome.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You got Brian Head right there though. Funny, I feel the opposite about Utah. I couldn't do the Provo through Ogden stretch but southern Utah is awesome.

It’s not the area. Southern Utah culture…it’s where the fundamentalist LDS are. Provo is full of ‘modern LDS. But from Draper up to Ogden and definitely on the other side of the Wasatch like Park City there is a lot of diversity.

I just say that because generally the further away from SLC the less likely you’ll make any friends if you’re not in ‘the church’.

All depends tho, if you keep to yourself, and don’t care about a social life, yea anywhere is good. Still no snow down there though. Beautiful landscape for sure.

Edited by onmyown

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brian Head is right there. Cedar City to Brian Head is barely over half an hour. They average nearly 400 inches of snow a year.

I was in Cedar City visiting my sister the last week of September, it snowed the week after we left. She sent me pics we took from the same spots we were in the prior week.

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brian Head is right there. Cedar City to Brian Head is barely over half an hour. They average nearly 400 inches of snow a year.

Cedar city doesn’t get much though at least like SLC or Park city. Brian’s head is up in the mountains not down below. Big difference, I live on the mountain and get probably 20 feet a year if it’s a light year. Cedar gets like 3-4 ft and don’t consider a few feet that melt in a few days as anything. You’ll get a white Christmas now and then but not every single year like me. And just to point out Utah doesn’t get much snow as a whole until after christmas…End of Jan and Feb are freezing hell on earth for me.

Also, just to point out it’s in Iron County. Iron county is very very weird. One of the highest sexual predator counties in the nation (for men and women) strong FLDS following. It’s very weird child predator county. No offense to anyone normal who lives there. There’s a new cases/scandal on a monthly basis in such a small town. 

Edited by onmyown

16 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

The NC Zoo is in Asheboro. I could live there. You could drive to Boone for Christmas.

Is Randolph County still dry? I remember when Richard Petty's wife was the county commish or something down there and you couldn't even get a beer with your pizza in Randolph County in the mid-90s.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:50 AM, Anybodyhome said:

Is Randolph County still dry? I remember when Richard Petty's wife was the county commish or something down there and you couldn't even get a beer with your pizza in Randolph County in the mid-90s.

https://wlos.com/news/local/graham-county-robbinsville-alcohol-sales-up-for-vote-inside-north-carolinas-last-dry-county

Alcohol sales are up for a vote inside North Carolina’s last dry county.

Graham County voted to ban alcohol sales back in 1948. This alcohol vote pertains only to the sale of beer and wine inside the town limits of Robbinsville.

It’s a small town, but the issue of alcohol sales looms large. Long-time residents recall violence and disorderly conduct associated with it. Newer residents say without beer and wine available at stores and restaurants, the town is giving up an opportunity for growth, with revenues going to other jurisdictions.

Collectively they will settle the issue as beer and wine sales are on the ballot.

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news-article/voters-in-robbinsville-approve-sale-of-beer-and-wine-according-to-unofficial-results/

Voters in Robbinsville, a tiny town in North Carolina’s last dry county, have approved the sale of beer and wine, according to unofficial results Tuesday.

• Pie 1

On 10/26/2021 at 12:46 PM, Khyber53 said:

It's a great move for you and you're going to see a major economic boost from the difference between what you sell your house for there and what you can get here.

I'd suggest searching in Ashe, Watauga, Transylvania and Henderson Counties.

My favorite of the bunch and the one that should give you the best for what you want is Transylvania County. Brevard is a great, great little town and close to Asheville and Hendersonville, it's also right at the entrance to the Pisgah National Forest and within a couple of hours drive of Charlotte.

Go on Zillow and do some home shopping for Brevard, NC. 

Shhhh...Lol .. Brevard is awesome, however everytime I see someone asking for advice on where to move in NC somebody always mentions Brevard.  If everyone keeps talking up Brevard it's just going to turn into another Ashville.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

Shhhh...Lol .. Brevard is awesome, however everytime I see someone asking for advice on where to move in NC somebody always mentions Brevard.  If everyone keeps talking up Brevard it's just going to turn into another Ashville.

Good point. Shhh/ got it.