• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thinking of moving from SoCal to Western Carolina

GOAT

36 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I'm rather open, the house and land is most important. I'm not going to move to the boonies just to get some snow. I'd like to stay within an hour of West of Charlotte, be an hour from Ashville and a couple hours from Boone. Morganton definitely seems like a good spot. Maybe Hendersonville or Hickory.

I think Concord felt further than it is because I'm used to either being in traffic or flying 85+ down the free way. I gotta remember I won't be driving back and forth either like I was all weekend.

Within an hour of Charlotte and an hour of Asheville is damn near narrowing it down to Morganton. Schedule a trip. I'll show you around. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, davos said:

Having lived in DC, SoCal, and now Chicago it takes a lot for me to consider traffic bad lol

I just left the Denver area which sucks pretty bad and used to be on and out of SoCal and Chicago multiple times a year for work but for it's size, Greeneville/Spartanburg is awful and it's getting worse.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just left the Denver area which sucks pretty bad and used to be on and out of SoCal and Chicago multiple times a year for work but for it's size, Greeneville/Spartanburg is awful and it's getting worse.

Forgot that locale, and ohh man am I happy to not drive I-25 anymore.  Biking in Wicker Park has gave me years back haha

But damn, with knowing that it must truly be something else there.

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

And you said you guys never get snow huh?

Even a dusting here and there would be awesome haha.

We get snow.  Just not a lot.  There are exceptions when moisture from the Gulf meets cold air from the north.  Most of our bigger snows are in late Jan or Feb.  2 or 3 years ago we had a big one in early Dec (10" of snow.) 2f54hZNPpqK3lp02XHtzLyrAqR-1hSxqTQeApXCcx3qA-JEMxAtpFBXcDkDHBAUiq_lgVc-ljC0nmK3WyUviSQPj6EB-46XFejr5d1E9hwZNde7EqrZKBJu0Y4GbgxAOSn8vuEscQMZtEX_hXDjZVcHB5vh2wOqXPovljHCA5HTf7QXLgcl0CSGqeHfCgoldQF6hFPejRj_rlDPwXonvlSjZ7xzVMvlisnQS9iXB2O3oQy29WjlIztpcFmvltb9PJgzkfPoJgkiZ-7FhPf_YFJa0t3WbhFT7WyfamDBP3PNlWrNEBlKKZIhaWwlDPjvuNAd350LT0qLwRfVJCImoIkgEDF-mW7mQ3VwPcSJx38j68M_RV-cfmfLHv6dHJVkLOMRHfmz2pRP1vxBjukB_bVtbzVV5DUxFaXQFRfOueR7AWdr6VUk_BonQ1wtIctMvoW-_YBukeczJfEvOLaqOn_gKfTi9-6D3wfXD89gxxgEsHYZuUGVPDqYU3hC0V-kPFIEuPvQwzY64MM4EDvVBogjZ7tzRSzJ-NDHrleOVmR0s7WJtBVtukLyjK7BMRmCqJ19CAGxIWBMKgZOAbbozu0cVq5rX9WBWy9LAA7I08gz99FWxI_98zSA4CXEqeuqcFLUCJkXS0xPiyyFWMZ_mhQW770CWs6LE0UqyriycBxLu3f3YRNOtOje7bu1oJlrjNblenTm2I0T_KF6lr04v8MX7=w1292-h969-no?authuser=0

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ladypanther said:

Any updates?

I haven't even seriously began thinking of listing my house or working with an NC realtor yet. I have alerts set on Zillow and browse options but nothing serious yet. Especially this time of year. I've also never sold a house before, this is my first home - I have no idea how to even go about a process like that. A lot of this is contingent on timing with my kids and my mom.

My desire to move grows stronger each month though, between some family members out here that we're forced to spend time with that my wife and I strongly dislike and other state regulations - there are only a few things keeping me here.

Just last week during Thanksgiving, they shut off 75% of my counties power due to high winds and fire warnings. Who the hell wants to live in expensive ass California if they're going to turn your power off on a national holiday because they're afraid of a wildfire?

So...saw this pic and thought would add it to the discussion.  This pic is in Elizabethton TN...which is about 1 hour from Asheville, NC.  It is a small town.  About 10 min away is Johnson City, TN...which is a much larger town, home of East Tennessee State University which has a medical school and a school of pharmacy.  Elizabethton has 2 rivers which run through the center of town.   A  very clean recreational Lake, Watauga Lake is close by.  The school system is divided into city schools and county schools...you definitely want the city schools. There is one high school in the city which the entire town supports.  The football team played in their 3rd straight state championship game ls last week...they lost in 2 OT's...making it 2 of 3.  The brother of the former Dallas TE, Jason Witten is the high school coach. (Their grandfather who raised them was the coach there for years and is a legend)   Very small town feel...when I lived there...there was a parade for every home football game.  The high school band is the pride of the town. (I should mention I was in the band for 4 years but I am not biased.)  Have not been there enough lately to know about sports such as soccer.  If you do not want that much of a small town...Johnson City is an option.  No state income tax in TN but you will pay more sales tax. (Relative to NC...not Cali...lol) They do get more snow than we do.  The pic below is the "Covered Bridge" taken last year.  The bridge is the symbol of the town and was built in 1882. That area is worth checking out.

No photo description available.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1