• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

bobcat91

Its nice to see a fan base tee off on a guy before giving him any chance at all to succeed. When CMac was not injured and starting, Sam was 3-0, including a win over New Orleans. CMac gets injured, several OLinemen get injured, and all of a sudden we are playing musical chairs with the lineup. We haven't had two weeks in a row with the same starting lineup. Now he goes 0-4 and the fan base turns on him.  Soon we get McCaffrey back along with some injured O Linemen so let's see what we have. I am not a fan of trading for Watson, giving up multiple 1st round picks and becoming the Jaguars. He would destroy our salary cap, cause us to have to trade or cut numerous starters and handicap us from being able to build through the draft. Time to concentrate in FA and the draft to fix the OLine.  I think Sam will be fine if we build around him. No one can win behind this line, not even Watson.

As far as CMac, here's a suggestion. Emmitt Smith used to bulk up and hit the weight room hard as well. He began to have some hamstring issues each year until be began Yoga. It is essentially stretching exercises. I think it would be very beneficial for him and his ability to stay on the field.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 3

Sam had no leeway to regress like he has based off of his reputation and history in the league prior to coming here.  Most knowledgeable football fans had already written him off, both because of his history and because reclamation projects rarely ever work out.

It's just the way it is.  I see him projecting out from here as like a Blaine Gabbert, with best case scenario being like a Tommy Maddox, but I don't think that'll be likely whatsoever, and whatever he becomes, it won't be here.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Sam had no leeway to regress like he has based off of his reputation and history in the league prior to coming here.  Most knowledgeable football fans had already written him off, both because of his history and because reclamation projects rarely ever work out.

It's just the way it is.  I see him projecting out from here as like a Blaine Gabbert, with best case scenario being like a Tommy Maddox, but I don't think that'll be likely whatsoever, and whatever he becomes, it won't be here.

“Most knowledgeable football fans” does not include our GM or 62 million dollar head coach. SMH 

• Beer 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Most knowledgeable football fans realized he had no offensive line, terrible skill position players and was Coached by Adam Gase. How about seeing how we finish? Worst case scenario is we get a shot at the top 2 to 3 QBs in the draft and not get gutted in the Watson deal

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

“Most knowledgeable football fans” does not include our GM or 62 million dollar head coach. SMH 

Yup, and thats the biggest problem.  I'm not going to include Fitterer in that group yet, but I mainly place the blame on Rhule, as he was a big proponent of it with reports saying he liked him since he had interviewed with the Jets years back.  And he also was a huge supporter of dumping Cam and getting Teddy in here, which didn't work out either.  So, it's really starting to look like it's an issue with this staff's ability to pick a QB and run a system that they can thrive in - and that goes on Rhule and Brady.  That is also why, by no fault of his own, Sam was doomed from the start.  If you have a QB who has struggled with pressure throughout his career, you have to be able to scheme around it, and we haven't and apparently can't.  It is a total and complete failure by the staff and Darnold will have to bear the brunt of their ineptitude.  So did he get a fair shake?  No.  Do I think he potentially is a good, top 15 QB even in the most ideal of situations?  No.

• Beer 5

4 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

Most knowledgeable football fans realized he had no offensive line, terrible skill position players and was Coached by Adam Gase. How about seeing how we finish? Worst case scenario is we get a shot at the top 2 to 3 QBs in the draft and not get gutted in the Watson deal

Go to bed, Sam.

• Flames 2
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

Yup, and thats the biggest problem.  I'm not going to include Fitterer in that group yet, but I mainly place the blame on Rhule, as he was a big proponent of it with reports saying he liked him since he had interviewed with the Jets years back.  And he also was a huge supporter of dumping Cam and getting Teddy in here, which didn't work out either.  So, it's really starting to look like it's an issue with this staff's ability to pick a QB and run a system that they can thrive in - and that goes on Rhule and Brady.  That is also why, by no fault of his own, Sam was doomed from the start.  If you have a QB who has struggled with pressure throughout his career, you have to be able to scheme around it, and we haven't and apparently can't.  It is a total and complete failure by the staff and Darnold will have to bear the brunt of their ineptitude.  So did he get a fair shake?  No.  Do I think he potentially is a good, top 15 QB even in the most ideal of situations?  No.

Right. He would need an elite defense and top 5 line to lead a team to anything resembling a successful year.  If any game falls on his shoulders hes losing it 99 out of 100 times. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

18 minutes ago, bobcat91 said:

If you're defense of Darnold is, at it's core, a plea to keep him over pursuing Watson due to the cost of acquiring him, then while I understand it, I don't agree with it.  Darnold was on a trial run, and not only has he had progressively abysmal showings now, but the coaching staff's collective seat that vouched for him and brought him in is broiling hot...  and so is Tepper's temper at this point.  

Reason likely went out the window a couple of weeks ago.  And while I dont want to give up more than maybe 1 player out of this deal and 2 first rounders, I understand the cost of acquiring a proven franchise QB isn't cheap.  I dont like having to make the deal, but the fact of the matter is, if you don't have a franchise QB, you aren't winning in this league, and many teams have spent years wasting draft picks trying to find that guy, whereas, if we deal for Watson, at the very least we know we've secured one.  

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding Sam, including how bad the OL and the offensive coaching is, he just doesn't have the ability to overcome it.  Watson does.  And that's the only reason I am interested to see what the cost is to acquire Watson.  Again, I don't like it, but do you trust this staff to properly evaluate college QBs after what they've shown thus far with established pro QBs?

And Tepper doesn't come from a world of patience, unless there is a long play for far greater gains at the finish line...  in the NFL the finish line is every February, and if you don't do all you can to improve with guaranteed, proven assets while hitting on the unknown commodities, you risk never realizing those gains at all.  He wants to win now, and Darnold doesn't offer that possibility.

• Pie 2

At this point he would have showed more positive signs despite the team injuries. 

He’s making mistakes that franchise QBs don’t make at any stage. He’s out there throwing dumb dumb picks.

Dude is Shane Falco without the badass redemption arc. 

Even if we were at full strength Darnold was going to be tested at some point. And since we can’t mask his flaws he’s just going ahead and showing us he’s going to hold the team back. 

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

If you're defense of Darnold is, at it's core, a plea to keep him over pursuing Watson due to the cost of acquiring him, then while I understand it, I don't agree with it.  Darnold was on a trial run, and not only has he had progressively abysmal showings now, but the coaching staff's collective seat that vouched for him and brought him in is broiling hot...  and so is Tepper's temper at this point.  

Reason likely went out the window a couple of weeks ago.  And while I dont want to give up more than maybe 1 player out of this deal and 2 first rounders, I understand the cost of acquiring a proven franchise QB isn't cheap.  I dont like having to make the deal, but the fact of the matter is, if you don't have a franchise QB, you aren't winning in this league, and many teams have spent years wasting draft picks trying to find that guy, whereas, if we deal for Watson, at the very least we know we've secured one.  

Regardless of the circumstances surrounding Sam, including how bad the OL and the offensive coaching is, he just doesn't have the ability to overcome it.  Watson does.  And that's the only reason I am interested to see what the cost is to acquire Watson.  Again, I don't like it, but do you trust this staff to properly evaluate college QBs after what they've shown thus far with established pro QBs?

And Tepper doesn't come from a world of patience, unless there is a long play for far greater gains at the finish line...  in the NFL the finish line is every February, and if you don't do all you can to improve with guaranteed, proven assets while hitting on the unknown commodities, you risk never realizing those gains at all.  He wants to win now, and Darnold doesn't offer that possibility.

My defense is he has zero help. Not on the line. Not at skill positions right now. We drop almost as many passes as we catch. I think he has talent and can win, but not with this OLine and not without CMac taking away the all out rush he gets every play. His situation here right now is not really different than the Jets.. The RB position is a mess. We get little out of the TE spot and Anderson hasn't done a thing since he signed his contract.. Watson not only costs 40 million a year, which destroys the cap, he causes us to cut starters and denies us draft picks. And until his legal matters are resolved, he won't take a snap no matter what team he is on. 

• Beer 3

Sam is terrible at playing QB even when he has time to throw. Rhule looks like he's in shock during press conferences. He thought his coaching and system would make up for Sam's lack of talent. We just got destroyed by a bad Giants team. It's over. Get Watson or draft a new QB.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1