• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QBs, stop with the shortcuts

AU-panther

I think most of us would agree that most franchise QBs follow the same path.  They play for the team they are drafted by and are usually drafted pretty high.

Yes, it would be great to find a Prescott or Brady but I think the more likely goal should be a Burrow, Herbert, or Mahomes.  How often do the Tannehills of the world work out?

Sooner or later you need to draft some guys early and hope they work out.  Very rarely is a QB a sure thing.  Unless you are picking #1 in the draft and you have a Luck or Manning type prospect there are always questions marks.  

Was Fields a perfect prospect?  No, but sooner or later you have to take your chances with someone.  If you wait for a perfect QB prospect to fall to you you might never find it. 

The year before Love and Hurts were the next 2 QBs off the board after our first pick.  In 2019 Lock and Grier were the next 2 QBs off the board after our pick.  This year Fields and Jones were the next two.  I give KC credit, they didn't need a QB but they recognized you don't get a chance to draft ones you like too often so they drafted Mahomes.

At this points do we have the patience to follow this route?  We already 3 years into this regime.  Does the owner and coaches have the patience to build the team slowly?   Or are we going to be a constant cycle of trying to resurect free agent QBs?

• Pie 1