• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I get why some didn't want Watson, but it's not a happy time.

top dawg

Just now, Verge said:

A little bit of both.

That's fair, although it seems like there's every potential angle by all sides being worked right now to save face, potentially try to drive interest etc... 

It's a weird feeling to be somewhat glad the team didn't mortgage the future for someone with sexual assault allegations while being extremely depressed at the state of our team...

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

This is the dumbest thing you've posted today. And that's saying something. 

I mean he's not really wrong. If you're out of the playoff hunt, selling isn't a bad thing. The problem is who does this team sell? It's very young and that's where most of our talent lies, so selling isn't appealing either.

The only guy that might make sense is Jackson, but that's probably a dumb move. Outside of that you can probably try and dump Paradis and Anderson for anything you can take, which is probably nothing.

• Beer 1

It's not a happy time, no. Admittedly this the worst I've felt about the state of the team since Pre-Cam. But had we signed Watson, as far as I'm concerned the franchise would've died to me that day. Would the number of fans walking away make an actual difference? Probably not, but I'd have been far from the only one. If a couple of years of QB purgatory is the alternative to winning with a predator, fine by me. 

• Beer 3

22 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Nah. It's just happening now and a lot of you guys are too wound up about the Panthers thanks to the 3-0 start. That start was fools gold and a lot of folks had convinced themselves it was the real thing. Everyone knew Fox's last year was a lost cause before the season even started since JR refused to release him since he(JR) didn't want to pay two coaches. That knowledge showed in the coaching staff, FO, players, and fans that year. It is still the worst season the Panthers have had.

When you know what to expect and realize that your owner is intentionally tanking the team, the bitter pill, which wasn't even really bitter, is easy to swallow. That was a classic tank job. Here, we are supposed to be getting better, but I can't say that we have. It's very nebulous. What I know for sure is that our QB hasn't made the offense better (which makes the defense appear worse as well), and it's even more of a QB-driven league than it was a decade ago.

Without a franchise QB, you're really nothing but a dice roll in the NFL.

Not to mention that knowing our history, including that whole fiasco, makes this much worse. 

Edited by top dawg

8 minutes ago, Madwolf said:

I mean he's not really wrong. If you're out of the playoff hunt, selling isn't a bad thing. The problem is who does this team sell? It's very young and that's where most of our talent lies, so selling isn't appealing either.

The only guy that might make sense is Jackson, but that's probably a dumb move. Outside of that you can probably try and dump Paradis and Anderson for anything you can take, which is probably nothing.

I like how you said he's not wrong, and then talked yourself into why he's wrong. 10/10. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

When you know what to expect and realize that your owner is intentionally tanking the team, the bitter pill, which wasn't even really bitter, is easy to swallow. That was a classic tank job. Here, we are supposed to be getting better, but I can't say that we have. It's very nebulous. What I know for sure is that our QB hasn't made the offense better (which makes the defense appear worse as well), and it's even more of a QB-driven league than it was a decade ago.

Without a franchise QB, you're really nothing but a dice roll in the NFL.

Not to mention that knowing our history, including that whole fiasco, makes this much worse. 

The NFL has always been a QB driven league. Go back through every Super Bowl from this year to 1966 and tell me how many times the QB wasn't good. It's very, very little.

You cannot continually sacrifice all you have, and cut yourself down to the bone over and over again in pursuit of a QB. You build as much as you can, and if the time comes, take a swing for the fences if you have to make a trade up. But this idea that you swing, even on these fringe prospects, and hope that one of them just magically flips the script isn't a winning formula. The Browns did it for decades.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PhillyB said:

yeah this is legit the bleakest outlook the team has ever had in its history imo

I'm not so sure about that. During the Clausen era we had less talent and a lame duck coach. I mean, Fox was a better coach than Rhule IMO, but his final year was brutal thanks to Ownership and the FO.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2010 was the worst. The biggest difference is not many people bought in on that team and a lot more did with this team.

2011 is what washed away a lot of the pain of 2010, 2022 ain't looking like roses with the capital we already pissed away. And to be honest, I'm not at all confident in this crews ability to bring in an good answer at this point. I hope they prove that feeling wrong.

• Pie 1