• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this the best panthers secondary ever?

micnificent28

6 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Bradberry was a great corner

Eric Davis was a great corner

Mike Minter was a great Safety

Chad Cota wasn't too shabby 

I can't remember much about Brett Maxie though. 

Tyrone Poole wasn't awful. 

Well matching that 

Gilmore= corner that won 2019 defensive player of the year

AJ bouye= former pro bowler(that's great right?)

Jackson( he's a number 1/2 at worst gonna get paid)

Horn( looks the part could be as good as anyone on this list)

Henderson( top 10 pick last year atleast gotta be serviceable)

Taylor (has been showing up a lot I'm impressed making splash plays)

Chinn ( Chinn is just a good player haven't seen any if many mistakes)

Burris/Franklin/ Hartsfield( guys show up every now and then but get hurt I think they are better than what we had during Ron era)

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Agreed. OG's remember how great that D was.

Even factoring all that in giving up points is a team statistic.. that has to do with stopping the run rushing the passer and secondary. I'm just trying to debate I guess on the talent perspective. Talent wise I don't think we Hve ever fielded what 3-4 guys drafted first round(Jackson second). On paper these guys have the chops to run with anybody.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

Even factoring all that in giving up points is a team statistic.. that has to do with stopping the run rushing the passer and secondary. I'm just trying to debate I guess on the talent perspective. Talent wise I don't think we Hve ever fielded what 3-4 guys drafted first round(Jackson second). On paper these guys have the chops to run with anybody.

If you base it on round drafted, then probably so. Gilmore, Horn and Henderson were all 1st rounders. Henderson may prove to be a bust(TBD) and Horn the book is out on(just 3 games played, after all). 

Gilmore and Bouye have at points been considered top CB's in periods of their careers. Based on that alone, you'd probably have an argument from a purely talent/history perspective. 

I will say that they have produced an extremely low amount of INT's(4 total of the 6 this season) to date. And we have had some very, very productive secondaries in our franchise history when it comes to producing turnovers. 4 of our 6 forced fumbles have come from the secondary, however. That is impressive.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

On a purely talent base, this team is bonkers. With room to grow. Don't know why folks have to quantify everything?

• Pie 1

YES.

I said many times during the off-season not to worry about Safety, but the CB group carry the "best" DB group in panther history. Just too many studs, many of which are young. Keith Taylor is ballin, he has replaced Horn as a 1st round talent/skill. CJ Henderson+5th for 3rd and DannyArnold??? I do that trade again even with CJ struggling some, 10/10. Gilmore looked fresh his last game. Bouye is after thought, but he doesnt look bad at all. STO has been playing ST and even with the group sucking, he has not. Djak looking like a star in the making and they better tag him if they want to keep him. 

Tony Pride is on IR and will be playing for another team in 2022. It is super nice to be this loaded at a higher valued position group. Dime is Gilmore, Djack, Henderson, and Taylor?? God dam Horn may need change to an TE!1!1!!