• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Erving's "effort" on the play that got Sam hurt

trueblade

2 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

Forgot to address this….I was a moderator for several years on my friends USC forum.  No word filters, no premium, open to any opposing fans from all the conferences.  There are no good manners on forums, but we also don’t self proclaim we’re any different.  clowns have boo’d our own players, screamed disparaging remarks about bad play.  My boards right now are no fun.

But there are limits, and those limits are concerning injury or mocking an injured player, on any team.  My season tickets were also in the rowdiest part of the stadium, lining the tunnel both teams must run out of, as you can imagine, the treatment and words directed at the opposing teams were not welcoming in the least (to state very mildly), but injury, rather it was an opposing player, much less your own?  Classless.  You stand with respect.

Fans are going to fan. Always have, always will. But calling one of your own teams players "Expendable"? That's a different level of fandom.

• Pie 2

36 minutes ago, 1usctrojan said:

It’s not just about how a man responds to wins, it’s how he loses….many a great competitor and men that hate to lose know they must man up and face that loss….like a man.  Do you not think some of that is also reason he hasn’t been picked up, the drama that surrounds him?

The girl comment to that reporter was cringeworthy.  Not a fan of the foppish dress, but it’s his right, his money, and he’s not a bad person, just a little self absorbed.

The comments to Rodrigue were foolish and definitely put him in a bad light but that was also a little overblown honestly and so much more worse things have gone on with players in this league. I've never seen such a big deal made out of press conferences or postgame attire since Cam Newton. You can take from that what you will but it's never been something that has concerned me personally. If he were a bad teammate that would be a different story but he was the opposite and never sought to deflect blame to any of his teammates in failure. But it's all the past now his chapter here has come to a close. The day that we have another player with a presence like his on the football field will be one to celebrate. We need a spark like that again.

• Beer 1

Just now, mav1234 said:

I think all of us are prone to comparing our QBs to Cam, but really he was something else in so many ways.

Allen had fire... I personally think Darnold has gotten animated too.  I think the difference between those guys and Cam is that we didn't see them being dejected at tough times etc.  But I don't think that is indicative of not caring about winning... Just a different demeanor.

And plus by all accounts Darnold is a leader in the locker room.  I don't think people are just paying him lip service, either.  Unfortunately for his, his issues on the field mean it doesn't much matter how nice a locker room presence he is (although perhaps that portends a future role as a veteran backup for some young QB we draft...).

Supposedly Teddy was good in the locker room too but I think they both suffer from the same thing, everyone in that locker room knows they can't do their job properly. I would imagine that makes it pretty tough to suit up every Sunday knowing the biggest piece of the puzzle just can't get it done. 

But, back to the OL......I know that BC had a rough 4th quarter in his solo start, but I'd rather see him get more reps in this new rushing attack than Erving's lazy ass. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Squid Game said:

It’s okay. Rhule says that Erving and Elflein are very “versatile”. I will believe him. 

Versatility can be a great thing, if you know how to pick that versatile player (playing every position on the line well) think the Jets GM is happy he drafted AVT in the first round….Tyron Smith played both LT and RT well.

Edited by 1usctrojan

The play was designed for Irving to block either 45 or 23 and Paradis to block 54 who actually made the tackle.  Tremble tried with excellent hustle to block both 45 and 23.  Both Paradis and Irving effort is unacceptable but can’t just place the blame on Irving here

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Yeah, Sam is such an idiot. Who is dumb enough to want to make a play in that situation?

And if Sam had slid, you'd probably call him out for not going for it.

Ah Goob, never change dude.

Going for what? What situation are you crying about now?

it was first and 10, if he slid it would have been 2nd and 3 at worst.

18 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Fans are going to fan. Always have, always will. But calling one of your own teams players "Expendable"? That's a different level of fandom.

I must have missed it but who actually called Darnold expendable after the injury? That's some shitty stuff to say.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Supposedly Teddy was good in the locker room too but I think they both suffer from the same thing, everyone in that locker room knows they can't do their job properly. I would imagine that makes it pretty tough to suit up every Sunday knowing the biggest piece of the puzzle just can't get it done. 

But, back to the OL......I know that BC had a rough 4th quarter in his solo start, but I'd rather see him get more reps in this new rushing attack than Erving's lazy ass. 

Honestly my problem with Teddy was different from most posters here but I think him speaking out against the staff at points is what did him in.

As to the OL, Erving is probably better than Christensen now but long term we know he isn't the answer so I wish this staff would let their tackle they'd drafted play... He was hit or miss tbh but the OL as a whole is also better than when he last played.  Just seems that we are stuck in a weird place with personnel on offense.

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Going for what? What situation are you crying about now?

it was first and 10, if he slid it would have been 2nd and 3 at worst.

This is your original post; "Lol no. Darnold not sliding got him hurt" You have to see what this implies? That Sam was dumb for not sliding. Hence my response. 

If you would have said this post first? No harm no foul. Your hot take is what I responded to.

Sam was trying to win a football game. And you want him to slide?

• Poo 1

25 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

How he is still playing amazes me. The coaches see this every time he plays yet they trot him back out there. 

Sure the coaches see it, the owner sees it, the players see it and we the fans see.....opposing coaches and players see it too. We also see the coaches not doing anything about it on any level. So, what are we left to believe??? We can only assume this level of effort is deemed acceptable. And that is why fans are quickly loosing faith in Rhule and Tepper. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

This is your original post; "Lol no. Darnold not sliding got him hurt" You have to see what this implies? That Sam was dumb for not sliding. Hence my response. 

If you would have said this post first? No harm no foul. Your hot take is what I responded to.

Sam was trying to win a football game. And you want him to slide?

People used to poo talk Cam all the time for not sliding, too.  Cam eventually got better at that aspect of things but I never saw him give up before a first down marker.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Love said:

Sure the coaches see it, the owner sees it, the players see it and we the fans see.....opposing coaches and players see it too. We also see the coaches not doing anything about it on any level. So, what are we left to believe??? We can only assume this level of effort is deemed acceptable. And that is why fans are quickly loosing faith in Rhule and Tepper. 

You do the best you can with what you've got. It's a rebuild. The Panthers chose to build D first. So the O has to suffer. NOW, if they don't build the O next. Then we can rabble rouse them unmercifully.