• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Erving's "effort" on the play that got Sam hurt

trueblade

2 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

People used to poo talk Cam all the time for not sliding, too.  Cam eventually got better at that aspect of things but I never saw him give up before a first down marker.

Sam was trying to win a football game. But because he got hurt, revisionist history tells us he needed to slide. 

4 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

People used to poo talk Cam all the time for not sliding, too.  Cam eventually got better at that aspect of things but I never saw him give up before a first down marker.

Cam was at least built to technically win virtually every collision came across.   And the further he got past the line of scrimmage the bigger those odds were stacked in his favor.    Cam was simply a dominant runner. 

Sam isn't a dominant runner.  He also has a long history of ball security issues.  Sam needs to get down.  Pick up what he can get and let others do the head knocking.   Unless it's 3rd or 4th down, he needs to get down.  Big picture, that's the smart play for Sam.   Cam and Sam aren't comparable as to what should or shouldn't happen when they take off as runners.  

I don't disagree that Irving's effort left a lot to be desired.  But there are other problems there.  Play design being one of them.

Paradis is being asked to get way downfield to the second level to seal a LB.  He was never getting there.  It was too far.  It wasn't really clear who he was intended to block.  He kept glancing at the DB on that side like that was the guy he was supposed to account for.  Eventually he tried to reach that LB, but even if he fired off right away, I'm not sure he would have got there.

Irving never looked back inside.  Not once.  He was looking outside the whole time.  If he had looked inside, he certainly would have seen the ILB closing down.  Who knows, he might have even tried to block him.  He didn't try to get downfield to the safety that was coming up, never looked there either.  He just watched Tremble and DJ put a hat on a hat.  Not sure what his assignment was supposed to be, but with a hat on a hat outside like that, a veteran player should be looking for a bad guy to block, and Irving never did.

If the players executed the play as it was designed, that design was just bad.  Having a blocker with no assignment?  Having a lineman have to really stretch to get downfield to a LB?  Not sure if it was designed poorly or the players executed it poorly, but it was a mess.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cam was at least built to technically win virtually every collision came across.   And the further he got past the line of scrimmage the bigger those odds were stacked in his favor.    Cam was simply a dominant runner. 

Sam isn't a dominant runner.  He also has a long history of ball security issues.  Sam needs to get down.  Pick up what he can get and let others do the head knocking.   Unless it's 3rd or 4th down, he needs to get down.  Big picture, that's the smart play for Sam.   Cam and Sam aren't comparable as to what should or shouldn't happen when they take off as runners.  

I agree he isn't a dominant runner, but the hit that actually knocked him out of the game was basically a blown block and not the guy in front of him.  In this case, he was trying to get the first down and I respect that effort.

In general, Darnold slides and doesn't take unnecessary hits - many of his runs have ended that way.  Obviously we all wish he hadn't taken this hit (perhaps save for the one poster I usually respect that felt the need to call him expendable in a thread about his injury... heh). 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

This is your original post; "Lol no. Darnold not sliding got him hurt" You have to see what this implies? That Sam was dumb for not sliding. Hence my response. 

If you would have said this post first? No harm no foul. Your hot take is what I responded to.

Sam was trying to win a football game. And you want him to slide?

That was dumb for not sliding.

He’s not gonna win a football game from the sideline concussed. And yes QB should slide especially given those circumstances.

Again what are you crying about 

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Isn’t he the one who was bashing fans for talking bad about their play? Lol, you are at the goal line and you know your QB is vulnerable and that’s you effort?

Sorry Erving, I hope you are reading this, but this play is exactly why you are a first round bust. It’s why fans give you poo while they adore UDFAs like Norwell who didn’t have the talent but had the effort to be an all pro.

I don't know....I could make the arguement it's just as much on our center if not more so than the LT.  Hard to really know, without knowing the actual playcall. 

C makes his way to the MLB and basically just stares at him directly in the eye.  Does nothing.    LT's man looks like it could of been the guy Tremble ended up taking on....and maybe Trembe was technically suppose to get that DB to pave the easy TD.  If the C made contact with the MLB then all Sam ends up getting is the DB...with Tremble taking over the botched job by the LT. 

who knows.  only guy that looked like he understood what run blocking  is happened to be the rookie TE.   That's the Panthers for you. 

• Beer 1

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The QB saw one guy to beat who was being blocked by a WR. He had no idea the MLB was even in the play because his LT decided to take the play off on a run to his side.

Darnold was lowering his head trying to run over the DB. When he should of been sliding a yard before.

It was first and 10

2 hours ago, Squid Game said:

Sam was trying to go for the score. That’s what he gets paid to do. Play football. It would have been an easy TD run if Cam Erving had made the block on Oluokun!

Sam does get paid to score, preferably by throwing the football, which is why he's the QB. If he scores on the ground and he has, great, that's a bonus. What Sam doesn't get paid to do is take unnecessary physical risk, like not sliding and taking a big hit that leads to injury. The risk doesn't outweigh the possible reward. It actually hurts the TEAM...

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Irving went to Florida State - FSU is a washed up program that doesn’t get the guys like they used to. Very similar to Souther Cal. A program in the crapper living off nostalgia. 

You have zero awareness…didn’t FSU just beat UNC?

I will never discuss or comment on the blue blood status of the Tar Heels or any other program that has won HCs in BB, since USC is not a historic program in basketball.  But to comment about the trajectory of our football program is laughable at best.  In 2008 ESPN had a National Board made up of programs in every conference, it was during the The Golden Calf of Bristol era, and all the SEC and the southern programs fans were saying Alabama was a “has been” and would never be relevant again….lol.  We told them, to never discount a CFB Blue Blood from coming back.  

Alabama sure did.  Right after their sanctions, and through the mid 2000s, they couldn’t bring in a 4or 5* recruit if they hit one over the head and dragged them on campus.  Look at them now.  So…if you’re not an Alabama fan, keep USC out of your filthy mouth. Lol.

• Beer 2

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Realistically, the C can’t seal off a LB on a run to the edge when the MLB is faster and 5 yards downfield. I honestly think Paradis is just trying to come out of his stance and hopefully fool the LB into thinking it’s a RB run to the right. Paradis is selling the run to the right and if he immediately tries to seal to the left he gives it away. I’d assume the play almost assumes that either the MLB is fooled or he gets caught up in the fray but Erving does nothing to clog the lane up.

this is the view I watched.    C comes face to with the MLB and does nothing the entire play.  All he has to do go put hands on the MLB.  Not seal off anything.  Just slow him.  He does nothing.   

Like I said, I don't know the play call, but it sure would have worked better if the C just went up put hands on the MLB.  Erving's eyes were on the OLB the entire time.   To me, it looks like he just missed his assignment and then went into watch mode.  The DE knocks Erving off balance initially and he can't go out and get to his block.  Tremble takes out Ervings guy and doesn't make it upfield as a result.  But who knows.